Posts in topic: 6

Re: .380 ammo

Post by flechero »

This was not remanufacured ammo.

Droshi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Droshi »

Good point, nice prices in general, thanks!

Weg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Weg »

In my past experience, you hvae to mail order to get the best prices, the factory S & B at ammunition to go for $11.95 is a good example of that.

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

I didn't check the price since I don't need any .380 but the WalMart on 529 near Hwy 6 had maybe 12-15 boxes in the case this weekend when I was looking. I've never seen them so full up with ammo in that space before so it was noticeable. And though they have the sign up that says limit of 2 boxes, the girl that works there has always said she'll sell me however many I want at the same time so don't fear trying to buy it all at once ;-).

And why do they put the .380 right next to the .45 instead of with the 9mm on the other end of the case anyway? :-)
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

And did I mention that you can have the ammo next day since they are in texas- at ups ground rates. :cheers2:

Droshi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Droshi »

How much do they charge for shipping? Actual UPS rates?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Around $11.50.

fwgrace

Post by fwgrace »

I've been seeing .380 in stock at Walmarts all around my area. I want to say it's $13-14 for a box of 50.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

It seemed like it was calculated on volume... I added and subtracted a lot from the cart when checking prices. I ended up paying $12 freight on 10 boxes of ammo. I noticed the $12 increment had a lot more room left in it but I couldn't afford all the extra ammo to take advantage of it! I assume $12 was worst case for the box they used if it were full. Also it was well packed.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I just picked up my LCP last night and have been looking around for local ammo so that I could test it. At first, none of the Wal-Marts in my area had .380 but I went back to the closest one last night and they had 100 round boxes of Winchester 95 grain FMJ for $31.xx. I paid $20.xx at Academy for 50 rounds. I won't be going back to Academy again.

Nowhere locally can I find JHP .380. I've been on lots of forums reading about the +P debate on LCPs and am not going there. Several posters made the point that ball rounds are more effective in .380 but it still sounds like JHP is the way to go, even in the .380.

I'm not in any hurry. I really bought the LCP for times when it is nearly impossible to conceal my Sig and this is not that kind of weather. I would like to find a place for PP ammo for the LCP before next Spring. I want to shoot enough of the PP rounds through the LCP that I'm confident it won't give me feed problems.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

ex_dsmr

Post by ex_dsmr »

flechero wrote:It's frustrating... I still have lots of boxes with $9.99 price tags intact. And it's not that old. I bought another P3AT to replace the one that was lost.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and pay big money for little rounds. ...lol
I dont own a .380 and part of the reason stems from the ammo scarcity/cost. But related to you comment about cost, I was picking up some 9mm at the firearms counter the other day while the wife was with me. Me and the salesman were going on about ammo that used to be cheap but has really gone up.

I made the comment about remembering when 7.62x39 was $70/1000 with a free ammo can and now its around $200-250/1000.
The wife laughed and said "You know how I know your old?"
Me and the guy bust up and say "it really hasnt been that long ago"

SpringerFan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SpringerFan »

chasfm11 wrote:I just picked up my LCP last night and have been looking around for local ammo so that I could test it. At first, none of the Wal-Marts in my area had .380 but I went back to the closest one last night and they had 100 round boxes of Winchester 95 grain FMJ for $31.xx. I paid $20.xx at Academy for 50 rounds. I won't be going back to Academy again.

Nowhere locally can I find JHP .380. I've been on lots of forums reading about the +P debate on LCPs and am not going there. Several posters made the point that ball rounds are more effective in .380 but it still sounds like JHP is the way to go, even in the .380.

I'm not in any hurry. I really bought the LCP for times when it is nearly impossible to conceal my Sig and this is not that kind of weather. I would like to find a place for PP ammo for the LCP before next Spring. I want to shoot enough of the PP rounds through the LCP that I'm confident it won't give me feed problems.
I have struggled with the FMJ vs. JHP in .380 debate myself. After an exhausting amount of research comparing ballistics between the two, it comes down to penetration or expansion. You really cannot have both in the .380 round. I opted for penetration as a fully expanded round that hits no vitals is pretty worthless. I have several FMJ choices that run great thru my LCP that I feel OK carrying. All that said, I am not sure there is a right or wrong anwser when you are talking about a caliber that is as low on the self-defense shelf as 380. As always, shot placement is everything.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

wally775

Post by wally775 »

chasfm11 said
I just picked up my LCP last night and have been looking around for local ammo so that I could test it. At first, none of the Wal-Marts in my area had .380 but I went back to the closest one last night and they had 100 round boxes of Winchester 95 grain FMJ for $31.xx. I paid $20.xx at Academy for 50 rounds. I won't be going back to Academy again.

Cannot really comment on .380 performance. I don't currently have one.
But CTD in McKinney has a variety of .380 ammuniton.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”