Instructor mis-information

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Instructor mis-information

Post by txinvestigator »

Yesterday I assisted another instructor. He has old injuries that make running a shooting line difficult for him. He found me via word of mouth, and asked if I would assist him in his class and run all of the actual gun portion of the training.

I agreed and met him before class. Although he is a likable guy, I now know why some people post here that their instructors tell them things that have left me going :headscratch .

Here are but a few things he said that I tried to correct as politely and non-confrontational as possible.

1. 30.06 only applies if they tell you to leave.

2. Because there is no "legal limit" of intoxication for carrying while intoxicated, it is illegal to drink any amount of alcohol while carrying. He explained this to me at break that regardless of the law, the CHL holders don't need to be drinking if they carry. so by misinforming them, they think they cannot drink at all.

3. There was a new federal law passed that you cannot have a gun within 1000 feet of a school and even though state law says the premise does not include the parking lots, you are still in violation of federal law if you carry there. So if you know you have a meeting with your kids teacher before you go to work, you cannot carry your gun in the car. You should leave it at home. at break I asked him to source that law for me so I could read it and be sure I understood it. Of course he could not, but he "heard" about it so he makes sure the students know.

4. Only serious felony convictions will keep you from being licensed.

5. He had no idea that the 10 year restriction for a person adjudicated of felony grade Delinquent Conduct was in reference to juveniles.

6. He did not understand 51%.

7. He told me how he runs the firearms qual, and it is not in line with the state requirement. I ran it properly

8. He told me he never runs 10 hours.

We shot early, and I split right afterwards. I was afraid I would not be able to contain myself if I listened to the rest of his training. I am really concerned about what these students were told.

I think I should write DPS.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Syntax360
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructor mis-information

Post by Syntax360 »

txinvestigator wrote:I think I should write DPS.
I think that is a great idea. I'm normally not one to advocate "ratting someone out", but I'd be pretty angry if I was in jail because my idiot instructor had no idea what he was talking about.

"Sorry, your honor - the guy I paid $140 didn't teach me right!"

Ya, that'll keep you out of jail. :roll:

Do us all a favor and report him.

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

Hey Tx. I totally agree with writing the letter to DPS and telling them that he is Misinforming his students on law and not running the Quals. to the Law.

I am with Syntax.I am not for ratting folks out but he is going to get someone placed in Jail or hurt.

Its just my personal opinion .

300Shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Pickpocket

Post by Pickpocket »

I agree that you should let DPS know. After all, your name is now attached to the range portion of his paperwork for that class. :???:

The other alternative is to sit down with him one-on-one and try to straighten things out. Either way, you know about it - so you now have an obligation; if not to the students, then at least to the State's program!
Not all who own musical instruments are musicians.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:iagree:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

longtooth wrote::iagree:
I don't see it as "ratting out" per se, more as quality improvement.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I agree-- drop the dime.

Its not being rude, mean , nasty ect ect. It's simply quality control.

The State's regulations on the class's content and the range requirements are there-- and should be followed. After all it's not all that dificult to teach from a standardized curriculum that's handed to you.

SC1903A3

Instructor Mis-Information.

Post by SC1903A3 »

I'm new to the form and haven't posted much but, for what it's worth here is something i've told my children. If you're telling on someone just to get then in trouble you're a snitch. If you're telling because what that person did is wrong then you're informing and it is the right thing to do.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

TX Inv,
Is he willing to change his ways? If so, let him. If not, call him in.
He doesn't need to be misinforming people.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

I figure he's gonna know who told on him anyway, so I'd confront (in the polite but firm manner I know you can), and tell him exactly what you've told us. Tell him that it's not only bad information, but it could come back to bite him legally. At the least, people are going to figure out he doesn't know the law, and by word of mouth he'll have no more students. I think you'd be doing him a real favor. If he's open to your comments and instruction, maybe you could straighten him out. If he tells you to bug off, call DPS.

If I was a teacher teaching bad information out of ignorance (not out of malice), I'd WANT someone to set me straight, and show me the information.
- Brandon

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

Yeah, if he's out there teaching CHL classes, then he has an obligation to get it right...to himself, to the state, and to all the students who take his class and trust his information.

phddan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by phddan »

By all means, you need to have a heart to heart with this man, and if he doesn't see the light, you need to correct that asap!!!
There aint no excuse for that kind of instruction.
Its a hard thing to do, but from reading your posts here and at the evil black rifle board, I'm pretty sure you know its the right thing that you need to do.
Would be alfully hard on you if one of them students got hurt or worse because some instructor gave blatantly bad info.

Good luck

Dan

Roger Howard
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Roger Howard »

Tx, if he is willing to listen and change his ways so to speak I would do that. If he isn't willing to get it right I would contact DPS. There is just too much at stake here to ignore the situation. I just hope that his students continue to learn after his misinformed classes.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Trainman

Post by Trainman »

One other aspect that hasn't been mentioned in favor of doing what you can to correct the misinformation. The students are leaving his classes with incorrect instruction. They go in to the public arena armed with bad data and can be a negative reflection on the rest CHL community as a whole. We are all ambassadors for our right to be armed for our protection. We need to safeguard that. Public perception is a part of the whole.

40FIVER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 40FIVER »

Well, it's pretty unanimous that you should "report" this bad instruction. I wish you well and I will pray that God gives you the words to say if you decide to confront him.

BTW, what is the evil black rifle board? :?:

40FIVER

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”