CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

steve817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renassance Festival

Post by steve817 »

ScottDLS wrote: And what is a poniard anyway?? :confused5

A lightweight dagger.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Yankee Girl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Yankee Girl »

I just pinged a friend who runs the Sea Devil Tavern at the RenFest to get his viewpoint.

xdfanatic

Post by xdfanatic »

I agree the "Fest" in Plantersville is not an amusement park and I did not see a 30.06 sign posted when I attended this last weekend. They do have sort of cordoned areas that are posted 51% behind the bars just FYI. I carried myself and really enjoyed the festival, the turkey legs are part of the reason I go every few years.
OIF OEF Veteran
SA XD .45 Service, SA XD .40 SC, SA XD .45 Tactical Custom, S & W 22A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Super Mag,Colt AR-15 M4 setup

Sedryn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Sedryn »

austinrealtor wrote:
Sedryn wrote:To carry a CHL is an oath to protect not only yourself but your loved ones and citizens in general.

Sorry to jump on one line from your very first post on the forum, but I've had my CHL for more than 12 years now, renewed twice, and I have never taken an oath to protect "citizens in general." Not saying I wouldn't do so under the right circumstances. But my CHL is to protect ME and MY family/loved ones. Your CHL is to protect you and your loved ones. None of us has any duty to protect anyone else.

I'm not Batman. I'm not even a cop. I'm just an average Joe with a CHL. Nothing more; nothing less.
Sorry, yeah that was bad wording. I did not mean an actual "oath". It was figurative. It's more of my own personal feeling I suppose. :)
Carry safely my friends... :txflag:

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

My friend who runs the tavern says he doesn't usually go in by the main entrances, but the employee / actor entrances are not posted. All of the alcohol-serving "areas" (as opposed to the counters where you can just walk up and order) have 51% signs. So it sounds like carrying is fine as long as you're sensible about the taverns.
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

Yankee Girl wrote:My friend who runs the tavern says he doesn't usually go in by the main entrances, but the employee / actor entrances are not posted. All of the alcohol-serving "areas" (as opposed to the counters where you can just walk up and order) have 51% signs. So it sounds like carrying is fine as long as you're sensible about the taverns.
Was a fun weekend! Affirmative on the 51% signs. The one beer I did buy I had my wife go up and purchase. There were no 30.06 signs anywhere.

SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

austinrealtor wrote:
Sedryn wrote:To carry a CHL is an oath to protect not only yourself but your loved ones and citizens in general.

Sorry to jump on one line from your very first post on the forum, but I've had my CHL for more than 12 years now, renewed twice, and I have never taken an oath to protect "citizens in general." Not saying I wouldn't do so under the right circumstances. But my CHL is to protect ME and MY family/loved ones. Your CHL is to protect you and your loved ones. None of us has any duty to protect anyone else.

I'm not Batman. I'm not even a cop. I'm just an average Joe with a CHL. Nothing more; nothing less.
I agree, and I'll go one step further. What if you do shoot a guy that (you think) is about to harm or who is in the middle of harming a "citizen in general"? How many times have we heard of the battered wife/girlfriend refusing to press charges after being beaten? What sort of limb will that leave you on?

When you protect yourself or your family from immediate threats of physical harm you don't have to work that calculus in your head in nanoseconds.
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

The one beer I did buy I had my wife go up and purchase.
Is it legal to make a Straw Purchase of an alcoholic beverage? :biggrinjester:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

3dfxMM wrote:
I'll bet it was a gift. :thumbs2: :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

Why did I know that was going to be singled out.... lol

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

3dfxMM wrote:
I doubt he used a straw... just drank right out of the cup. :cheers2:
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

denwego

Post by denwego »

I enjoyed a trip up there with a sizable group this past weekend. It was fun with both my LCP in my pocket underneath my tunic and openly carrying a dagger on each hip :thumbs2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”