CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tahoe132
Posts in topic: 2

Carrying at Work

Post by Tahoe132 »

Hey all,

So I know that it not illegal to carry at work, unless posted, even if their employee hand book says no weapons. To my knowledge, the worse they can do if fire you.

I am strongly considering carrying in my work place, and just am wondering how common this is, or if most people try to steer away from this.

The way people are treated, and the rate people are fired, mixed with the type of the people that work there (in my opinion) is a dangerous combination. I have also read the online job reviews, which make me even more nervous. A few examples include people talking about knife fights in the parking garage, and one person even says, "..I am surprised no one has just gone in there and gone postal on everyone..."

Other than getting a new job, which I am working on, any thoughts?
Police Officer to me: I like your Glock shirt, that is what I am carrying on my waist right now.

Me before thinking: Thanks, and me too

Police Officer: :shock:

jamisjockey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying at Work

Post by jamisjockey »

Violating your workplace rules is a very serious decision only you can make. You could possibly be fired for doing so. However, leaving yourself open to being a victim is also a very serious decision only you can make.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Since getting fired doesn't seem to be the issue, I would like to point out that if this place is so sketchy and people are worried about someone going postal, if you get caught carrying you're going to have alot of explaining to do while proned out. Everyday kinda office and the cops probably wouldn't be called but a stressed out asylum like you describe is different. YOU could be fingered as the potential guy going postal. Something to think about.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

olafpfj wrote:Since getting fired doesn't seem to be the issue, I would like to point out that if this place is so sketchy and people are worried about someone going postal, if you get caught carrying you're going to have alot of explaining to do while proned out. Everyday kinda office and the cops probably wouldn't be called but a stressed out asylum like you describe is different. YOU could be fingered as the potential guy going postal. Something to think about.
Unless he actually goes postal it doesn't matter. He hasn't committed a crime in the eyes of the law. If somebody else goes postal and he protects himself he'll have to deal with the legal system regardless of whether his boss said he could be packing.

You don't owe your boss an explanation if he is firing you.

I wonder if the OP works at Fry's. Those super nerds always concern me. Too much caffeine, nicotine, accutane, and 1st person shooter for their own good.

Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

If you have a CHL and a 30.06 sign or your employment agreement prevents you from carrying, there is a serious legal issue. Say there is an incident and you or a loved one is injured or God forbid killed. Those who have chosen to revoke your right to protect yourself ARE liable. I verified this with a police officer as well as a lawyer.
However, if you do carry at your job and something happens. Even if you save yourself and others, there is a good probability you will still be let go because you broke their employment agreement. If you chose to pursue, It would be a toss up with a Jury. Tough decision. I follow the rules whenever possible.
Carry safely my friends... :txflag:

fecnik

Post by fecnik »

concealed is concealed...who's going to know, unless you tell someone?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 08

Springfield Champion Stainless
Kahr K40 Stainless

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dragonfighter »

Sedryn wrote:If you have a CHL and a 30.06 sign or your employment agreement prevents you from carrying, there is a serious legal issue. Say there is an incident and you or a loved one is injured or God forbid killed. Those who have chosen to revoke your right to protect yourself ARE liable. I verified this with a police officer as well as a lawyer.
However, if you do carry at your job and something happens. Even if you save yourself and others, there is a good probability you will still be let go because you broke their employment agreement. If you chose to pursue, It would be a toss up with a Jury. Tough decision. I follow the rules whenever possible.
I used to shoot with a fellow, formerly of the Houston area, that had been a night manger at a convenience store and worked alone. Several factors compelled him to carry and he ended up defending himself. He told me that he was fired almost before the cops arrived. But, as he was quick to point out, he was looking for a job when he found that one, and was still alive to apply elsewhere.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

If any of y'all carry at work where it is legal but against employee rules and you get fired, let us know and we'll picket the place for you. We'll write letters for you. We'll even chip in a couple bucks apiece to help you make rent. We have got to stick up for each other or we'll lose our 2nd A rights, one work place at a time.

If you think that the risk of losing your job justifies the risk of not carrying, then carry away. Check with your lawyer first. There may be legal "loophole" in your employee handbook. For example, if there is an exception for "security personnel", you could get hired part-time to work for them elsewhere on another campus as a security guard. Then, have a "hypothetical situation" conversation with your boss with slippery slope logic so that you have your boss implying that you could also have a role as a "security personnel" at your present position. Record this conversation. Then, if they try to fire you due to your carrying, they'll have no legal ground to stand on. Speak with your lawyer. I am not a lawyer so there may be other "legal loopholes" I am unaware of.

IANAL.
Last edited by drjoker on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

drjoker wrote:If any of y'all carry at work where it is legal but against employee rules and you get fired, let us know and we'll picket the place for you. We'll write letters for you. We'll even chip in a couple bucks apiece to help you make rent. We have got to stick up for each other or we'll lose our 2nd A rights, one work place at a time.
Who is 'We' and how many 'We's' do you have to chip in money?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

Keith B wrote:
drjoker wrote:If any of y'all carry at work where it is legal but against employee rules and you get fired, let us know and we'll picket the place for you.
We = I and any other patriotic 2nd A supporting Americans reading this forum.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dragonfighter »

drjoker wrote:
Keith B wrote:
drjoker wrote:If any of y'all carry at work where it is legal but against employee rules and you get fired, let us know and we'll picket the place for you.
$20 times 50 members is a thousand dollars. :leaving
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Tahoe132 wrote:Other than getting a new job, which I am working on, any thoughts?
How often are you searched at work?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

AustinMRH wrote:
olafpfj wrote:Since getting fired doesn't seem to be the issue, I would like to point out that if this place is so sketchy and people are worried about someone going postal, if you get caught carrying you're going to have alot of explaining to do while proned out. Everyday kinda office and the cops probably wouldn't be called but a stressed out asylum like you describe is different. YOU could be fingered as the potential guy going postal. Something to think about.
Unless he actually goes postal it doesn't matter. He hasn't committed a crime in the eyes of the law. If somebody else goes postal and he protects himself he'll have to deal with the legal system regardless of whether his boss said he could be packing.

You don't owe your boss an explanation if he is firing you.

I wonder if the OP works at Fry's. Those super nerds always concern me. Too much caffeine, nicotine, accutane, and 1st person shooter for their own good.
Its not really a question of whether he actually did anything or not. As we have learned from the Vegas Costco incident, some people freak out and embellish the facts when they see or even hear of a gun. In an environment like the OP described it sounds like co-workers could be very prone to over reacting. I know concealed means concealed but everyone at some point is going to have a shirt ride up or something and at his job it won't be someone just telling him he's exposed. It could well mean the police telling him at gunpoint that he accidentally flashed it which is way more than just being fired. Its a headache I wouldn't want to risk.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

olafpfj wrote:Its not really a question of whether he actually did anything or not. As we have learned from the Vegas Costco incident, some people freak out and embellish the facts when they see or even hear of a gun. In an environment like the OP described it sounds like co-workers could be very prone to over reacting. I know concealed means concealed but everyone at some point is going to have a shirt ride up or something and at his job it won't be someone just telling him he's exposed. It could well mean the police telling him at gunpoint that he accidentally flashed it which is way more than just being fired. Its a headache I wouldn't want to risk.
That's your choice, and every CHL holder has the right to make that choice for him or herself.

For some people carrying may pose a greater risk, whereas others may be subject to greater risk if they don't carry. Situations vary. Heck, even in the same situation, people vary. Each of us is unique, just like everyone else.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

drjoker wrote:
Keith B wrote:
I just wondered whose money and picketing time you were so openly volunteering. :headscratch

I personally disagree with people breaking rules like this. You agree to follow the rules when you sign on, and if you break them, then that is your doing and you should be reprimanded appropriately for that. No different than being on this forum; you follow the rules or you don't play. If you break them you are reprimanded. An employer should have the right to prohibit whatever they don't like in their buildings. Now, I DO agree that they should not be able to prohibit you from having it in YOUR vehicle on the parking lot, but past that they have rights too. If you disagree with them, then go through the appropriate steps to get the employer to change them. Until that time, you follow them or find a job where you agree with the rules.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”