CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
psijac
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Renassance Festival

Post by psijac »

Yankee Girl wrote:
Kythas wrote:Just so everyone knows, there's a huge 30.06 sign just to the right of the ticket booths. If you don't see it, you're not looking at all. It's about a 20 foot high permanent sign made from logs and the letters are burned into wood. The letters are about 2" high.

I've been to the Faire the last 3 years, and have been to the haunted house they put on every October. The sign has been there every year. It's a permanent fixture.
Kythas, are you talking about the Dallas-area event, Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie (held in May), or the Houston-area event, Renaissance Faire in Plantersville (October-November)? Sounds like you might be talking about the May event, as to my knowledge they don't do haunted houses in Plantersville and that would be right in the middle of their fair season to do so at Halloween.
Thanks for the clarification Yankee Girl
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

G Wagner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G Wagner »

Wonder if the fenced in areas that service liquor are off limits? I do not recall seeing a 51 percent sign.

dicion
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dicion »

Was at TxRenFest Yesterday - The one in Plantersville.

Didn't see any 30.06 signs, but I wasn't carrying because I had no way to do so in my current Garb setup. (Didn't realize this until we were about to depart) :banghead:

That's next on the list to get, a nice belt pouch that will look innocuous enough, but hold my Kimber UCII :thumbs2:
I already have a trigger-covering 'pocket holster' that will probably work well inside one :rolll

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Och! Be that a quick draw sporran?

dicion
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dicion »

bizarrenormality wrote:Och! Be that a quick draw sporran?
Just because, I did a quick search...

AND THEY EXIST!! :smilelol5: "rlol"

Site Here

GaryAdrian

Post by GaryAdrian »

I think everyone here is missing something.
I have performed at the Texas Ren Fest for over 20 years. Ren Fest is considered an amusement park.
If memory serves, It is unlawful for a handgun license holder to carry a handgun on the premises of: •An amusement park.

A bar, any court, any school or college, an amusement park, nursing home, hospital, place of worship, race track, polling place on a day of an election, airport, and prison. And if you have a concealed carry permit and become intoxicated, you are breaking the law.

Now, what do you think goes on at the Texas Renaissance Festival? Drinking, dancing and spending money. That is why they don't want firearms.
I Open Carry at Texas Renaissance Festival!

NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

GaryAdrian wrote:I think everyone here is missing something.
I have performed at the Texas Ren Fest for over 20 years. Ren Fest is considered an amusement park.
If memory serves, It is unlawful for a handgun license holder to carry a handgun on the premises of: •An amusement park.

A bar, any court, any school or college, an amusement park, nursing home, hospital, place of worship, race track, polling place on a day of an election, airport, and prison. And if you have a concealed carry permit and become intoxicated, you are breaking the law.

Now, what do you think goes on at the Texas Renaissance Festival? Drinking, dancing and spending money. That is why they don't want firearms.
An amusement park must... (46.035(f)(1))
be a permanent indoor or outdoor facility
have rides
be in a county with a population of more than one million
encompass at least 75 acres
be inclosed with access only through controlled entries
be open to the public for more than 120 days a year
have security guards on premises at all times

Does the festival meet those requirements?

Also, if the amusement park doesn't want CHL's to carry, they MUST post 30.06 (46.035(i))
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

:iagree: What he said.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

GaryAdrian wrote:I think everyone here is missing something.

You need to do some reading, times have changed. Airports are ok, hospitals have to be posted, nursing homes have to be posted, churches have to be posted, etc.

Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

2 Police officers taught my CHL Class. if 30.06 is posted properly, CHL is powerless. If any other sign is posted (other than 51%) such as "Firearms Prohibited" or "It is illegal to carry a firearm here", it does not apply to CHL carriers. Those signs are to remind the non-licensed. The point of a CHL is to allow the arming of "lawful" citizens. To carry a CHL is an oath to protect not only yourself but your loved ones and citizens in general.
I worked at The Texas Renaissance Festival for 8 years and it is owned by a real hard ass. I would not be surprised if a 30.06 is not posted on purpose. Remember, CHL rules and regulations are configured in a way so that nobody is going to know you are carrying unless it has come time to put a bullet in someone. If someone can tell you are carrying or sees your gun, you are probably going to jail. However, if somehow you are caught at TRF with a firearm they at the least have the right to eject you from the faire even with a CHL.

To those who have never been to a Renaissance Faire. It is not what the TV shows and commercials make it out to be. It is a blast. And no, you don't have to dress in costume but you will have more fun if you do ;-)

Memorize this. http://www.txchia.org/txcarry.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Sedryn on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carry safely my friends... :txflag:

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I always loved going up to people who bought the beautiful walking sticks. I'd ask what college they went to, after they answered, I'd say "I thought so, because you came to the woods .... and paid someone for a stick" :mrgreen:

Easy to get away with that if you are in costume, usually gets a laugh from their girlfriend too :biggrinjester:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

A-R

Post by A-R »

Sedryn wrote:To carry a CHL is an oath to protect not only yourself but your loved ones and citizens in general.

Sorry to jump on one line from your very first post on the forum, but I've had my CHL for more than 12 years now, renewed twice, and I have never taken an oath to protect "citizens in general." Not saying I wouldn't do so under the right circumstances. But my CHL is to protect ME and MY family/loved ones. Your CHL is to protect you and your loved ones. None of us has any duty to protect anyone else.

I'm not Batman. I'm not even a cop. I'm just an average Joe with a CHL. Nothing more; nothing less.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

austinrealtor wrote:But my CHL is to protect ME and MY family/loved ones. Your CHL is to protect you and your loved ones. None of us has any duty to protect anyone else.
:iagree:

It's not like the classes and license fees (and guns and holsters and ammo) are paid by "citizens in general" so they should get their own instead of trying to leech off responsible people.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

texas1234

Post by texas1234 »

I dont know if you can carry a pistol but you can for sure carry a sword and kill Ligers in a nifty costume!
6th Generation Texan

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

texas1234 wrote:I dont know if you can carry a pistol but you can for sure carry a sword and kill Ligers in a nifty costume!
I'm still confused about dirks, stilettos, poniards, and spears... "rlol"

And what is a poniard anyway?? :confused5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”