Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rich
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rich »

I’m just happy to have a CHL. Plenty of pros and cons on this subject - would like to see some statistics regarding this topic…Would crime rates go down due to more folks walking around with open carry? Maybe so.

I would hope that the OC Law would require a license – just like the CHL.

Rich

Commander

Post by Commander »

nitrogen wrote: i've seen it used as an excuse to hassle. A buddy of mine has been hassled for an accidental flash. We were at a resturant in Plano, and his shirt bunched up above his weapon when he went for his wallet. A police officer saw him, and basically hauled us forcefully out, him in handcuffs,
I wonder how that Plano Officer handles plainclothes officers that accidentally "flash" their weapons? Does he handcuff them and drag them outside? Sounds like he decided that your buddy was not a plainclothes officer from another jurisdiction based on appearance and not checking his ID before handcuffing. I wonder what about your friend gave him that idea? There are many agencies that work in plain clothes - this officer can't be handcuffing them all and dragging them outside.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Rich wrote:I’m just happy to have a CHL. Plenty of pros and cons on this subject - would like to see some statistics regarding this topic…Would crime rates go down due to more folks walking around with open carry? Maybe so.

I would hope that the OC Law would require a license – just like the CHL.

Rich
I really don't care if crime rates go down with legal open carry. I can see how it might have a deterrent effect, but concealed carry could also be argued to have a deterrent effect with criminals not knowing who is armed. I don't carry so that the crime rate decreases; I carry to protect myself. There are many arguments for and against open carry, but I mainly see it as a right we are currently denied here in Texas.

As for me, I don't think that a permit should be required for open carry. I grew up in Virginia, where no permit is required to OC, and where it is actually becoming more common. I did not carry or even own firearms before moving to Texas, but when I go back to Virginia to visit I do OC some of the time--in particular, in Virginia the only way to carry on any restaurant that serves alcohol is to carry openly.

I am actually for Alaska-style carry--no permit required for open or concealed carry. At this point though that is most likely an unobtainable goal in Texas, or at least one that will take years to accomplish. I do not think that even open carry without a permit is a realistic goal in Texas right now, as much as I would like it. I do think that open carry with a permit is a realistic goal right now. So far as I can tell, the reason that open carry is legal without a permit in many states is that it was never outlawed. OC with a permit would at least a step in the right direction.

I also want to put in a plug for (as far as I can tell) one of the few websites dedicated to open carry, http://www.opencarry.org. The site also includes a forum.

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

I don't know if I personally would open carry much if it were legal. But I do know I would support it 100%.

I carry my gun in the tank bag when on the motorcycle, the transition from the bag to my person is tricky at best. Open carry would make that transition much easier.
not to mention I might carry in a tactical thigh holster on the bike!

I think I would change my method of carry if open carry was legal. I currently carry IWB. I think I might carry OWB. Just for another set of options for holsters.

Lets get it done! then you can decide if you want to carry openly or not.

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

HighVelocity wrote:Even if it was commonplace I wouldn't carry open off my property. Concealment offers several advantages like nobody (including badguys) knowing you have a gun for one.
Secondly, I would not feel comfortable without some type of retention holster to keep somebody from snatching it and I don't like retention type holsters because my arthritis makes it really difficult and painful to draw with anything other than a straight upward pull.

my .02
Coming from Open carry AZ to here...actually prefer concealed...except when hunting/ fishing trip going on!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

While I doubt I would carry openly, I would like to see it allowed in Texas. Like others have said, I would like the additional protection against “printing� or accidentally “flashing� my handgun.
Also, I prefer OWB carry. For me, it’s a faster presentation and more comfortable to wear. But it also prints better…
I would also probably change the weapon I would carry. At present I carry either a Kimber Ultra Carry, or a Glock G-26 when leaving the ranch (generally in IWB if I’m going to town, or OWB if staying rural).
If open carry were in effect, I would carry my full sized 1911 or my Glock G23. I prefer them, but IWB is rather uncomfortable, and OWB is too visible.
I would also prefer the rule be Open Carry for all, not just CHL. If it’s CHL only, then it seems LEO’s will still have to check you out to verify you have a license. It would be nice to avoid that hassle. But OC with a CHL is better then none at all…

DustinB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DustinB »

Excellent point. Would be nice to not have to worry about printing or accidentally revealing your weapon.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

DustinB wrote:Excellent point. Would be nice to not have to worry about printing or accidentally revealing your weapon.
That is a false worry and illegitimate argument for open carry. Texas only has a law against intentionally failing to conceal the weapon.

And I am more neutral on this issue than I have been. I was completely opposed.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

txinvestigator wrote:
DustinB wrote:. Texas only has a law against intentionally failing to conceal the weapon..
Which will be determined AFTER you have been arrested by an officer who didn't know any better, and then gone through Lord knows what to prove your innocence.

I just cant see any significant problems with having open carry. The majority of states already have open carry in one form or another. I'm not seeing any problems cropping up with theirs. Why would Texas be any different?

I do not want to see Open Carry Only however. I plan to stay concealed for a variety of reasons.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

flintknapper wrote:I do not want to see Open Carry Only
:iagree:

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

flintknapper wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
DustinB wrote:. Texas only has a law against intentionally failing to conceal the weapon..
Which will be determined AFTER you have been arrested by an officer who didn't know any better, and then gone through Lord knows what to prove your innocence.
Have there been ANY cases of a person even arrested for intentionally failing to conceal for only an inadverdant shoewng or printing? I would be interested to read about that.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

DustinB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DustinB »

There's a thread on here somewhere where someone talks about a guy that got arrested while pulling his gun out of the trunk to put it on him. Some lady saw it and called the police if I remember correctly and he was arrested.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 10

Post by longtooth »

Seen getting it out of the trunk is not inadvertant. That is careless, Careless, CARELESS. Be careful & unseen in all places.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:Seen getting it out of the trunk is not inadvertant. That is careless, Careless, CARELESS. Be careful & unseen in all places.
Yup. What if it had been a do-bad with a crowbar, who had seen him putting it in the trunk? Bye-bye pistol.

Kevin

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:
DustinB wrote:Excellent point. Would be nice to not have to worry about printing or accidentally revealing your weapon.
That is a false worry and illegitimate argument for open carry. Texas only has a law against intentionally failing to conceal the weapon.

And I am more neutral on this issue than I have been. I was completely opposed.
So what you're saying is that we've succeeded in beating you into submission??? Yer caving on us???

You wuss! ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”