Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

Post by Keith B »

Please get back on topic.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

BLG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BLG »

UncleBob wrote:The reason I haven't applied for one until now is because I've always felt that I would be able to avoid bad situations, and up until recently this train of thought has served me well.

Granted a gun isn't always the answer. Most of the time, being aware of your surroundings, knowing escape routes, taking simple actions to secure your home so it looks and is more difficult to break into and being less of a target will do the job. But just in case - in a gun fight or assault where I have no choice but to use a weapon - I'd like to be the one walking away with my family intact.

Little deep, but you asked.

After 2 heart attacks and 4 strokes, my SYL cannot move fast enough to get away from trouble even if she sees it coming. She is working to strengthen her hands so that she can fire the 50 rounds to qualify.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

As a former service member, my time in country has been sporadic, at best...

I had a GA state permit in the late-90's, however, between an over seas assignment barring personal arms, and service in Afghanistan and Iraq, I have spent at least some part of every year over seas since the whole shin-dig kicked off in 01', minus a year and a half stint as an instructor. So between deployments, and moves around the country, I figured why bother...

Now that I am semi-settled, I finally applied for a TX permit, which will take forever due to the multi-county background checks needed due to moves, and despite a spotless record.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

My wife and I have discussed the CHL several times. She's still up in the air about it, but she has stated numerous times that she "can't" take a ten hour class. So we're going to have to find one that splits it up over several sessions if she's going to get hers.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I was reading the CHL forum on my husband's account and went through every one of the 17 or so pages of responses and didn't see one that came close to speaking for me so I joined in order to respond. I've had several close run-ins and am happy to be here to tell about it, but I'd like to be able to protect myself when it is just me and the kids. The reasons I haven't pursued a CHL:

1. I don't know how to shoot a pistol and don't want any condescension or teasing in trying to learn.

2. I'm scared of the recoil and don't trust others to be honest with me about how much recoil there will be. They laugh and say it is no big deal like the joke's going to be on me when they see me knock a front tooth out, which they apparently will find hilarious or will act like I'm being a baby. It doesn't make me want to try it out.

3. I am concerned about gun safety around children. I've read the corned cat website and like her. It will either be on me or locked up. However, I don't feel comfortable enough with that whole transition and I'm a little too thoughtless when it comes to keys and purse and want to make sure I'm going to be diligent and safe and that I know all my options and am comfortable with using them.

4. If I have a loaded weapon I don't know how to use, I'm going to be more of a threat to myself and others than if I didn't have it. If I carry, I'm going to have to practice regularly and stay aware of laws that affect me. This poses two problems. I'm a mom and one of my kids has high medical needs. I am grateful to get 2 minutes back to back in which I can go to the bathroom without interruption. Committing to that much time shooting and reading when I'm not very motivated to go shooting (due in large part to points 1 and 2) makes me think of all the other things I could do with that time instead. Like sleep more than 4-6 hours a night once in a while.

5. I am not one who wants to stand out or make political statements. While I have strong political opinions, I don't discuss them. I act on them, I vote on them, I live my life and make my choices based on them, but I don't want to make a statement or be a statistic or make my voice heard or protect the second amendment. While all worthy causes, I just want to protect my family and don't want to be connected to the politics of it. I really don't want to hear why I should want to, either, and am in all honesty put off from any participation because I am bracing myself for the onslaught of why I have a God-given responsibility to protect a constitutional right... yada yada. Most women I know would not identify with this. Men are the primary protectors. I'm a nurturer. This reasoning does not speak to that at all.

6. The cute guns cost too much. I don't want a pink plastic block that looks like a kid's toy. I want a pretty gun. One with a mother of pearl handle, maybe... Have you seen the prices on those things?! And the whole new wardrobe that will accommodate concealed carry is gonna be expensive, too. I'm still wearing shoes from 10 years ago. Women tend to take care of themselves last. How am I going to justify a whole new wardrobe when the kids need new shoes? I can't.

7. I don't know where to start. How to get a CHL is easy. What gun and holster to choose for my hand, my height, my daily life, my price range; holding and handling a wide diversity of guns (without much cost--still a budget minded mom!) to figure out what I like; how to hold that particular gun and how to stand; the amount of practice I need... it is a little overwhelming to sit down and figure out when I have a daily to-do list that never gets done.

8. My family will think I've really gone off the deep end. They already think that and I'm not so much worried about what they'll think, but how it will negatively affect the kids. They'll hear about it and I'll have to limit their visits with family even more, which I don't want to do. And I'm in regular contact with a profession that is diametrically opposed to all guns and they could make some serious complications for our family life if they knew I was always carrying. Yes, that's really circumspect and no one would most likely guess what I'm referring to, but it is true and it is a real threat to my family. It shouldn't be because carrying is perfectly legal, but I don't want my family to be the ones to wage that war. (Someone before said his girlfriend is concerned about her teacher friends or administrators finding out as a reason for not getting a CHL and he suspected that was a cover for a deeper issue. I'd say that very well might be the issue. If she hears enough peer pressure and casual comments about gun owners at school, she might be justifiably concerned about her job stability, especially when teachers are being laid off en masse right now. It might be enough to keep her from even considering it.)

9. I'm a talker. A social person. And a complete newbie. I don't want to go to the range by myself. But who could I go with on a regular basis where I'd be able to be social and to practice and to not feel bad or stupid? I don't know of any opportunities in my area. The people I know to go with explain points 1 and 2 above. My husband isn't condescending, but he's not really social, either. It would be easier if I had some shooting girl friends. At least 4 of my mom friends have or want to have their CHL, but they don't have time for regular get-togethers at the range with the girls any more than I do.

10. If I get it, those aforementioned other gun-friendly moms will make it known within our circles that I am in their group. They'll post gun-friendly stuff on my facebook wall or invite me to the range or whatever and then the moms who are scared of guns won't let their kids come over to our house or hang out with us. I don't want to be an example. But how can I reconcile points 9 and 10? It seems like a catch-22 and I'll have to choose my priorities. On the one hand, the moms I know most likely won't have time to do anything so there's no point in telling them. On the other hand, that leaves me with no community to share it with. I don't know what I can do about that.

That's my top ten reasons for why I haven't pursued a CHL yet. I hope it speaks for some of the other women in my shoes who don't frequent these boards.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

Please send a private message to Crossfire on this forum. She is a female instructor in the DFW area.

Many of your concerns will be answered with time and familiarity. Having a CHL is no more exceptional or weird than having a driver license or credit card. Did your driver license or your first credit card seem special for, what, a month? It's just another piece of plastic that is required in this modern world.

Please trust me on this issue and give it a try.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I second the response above. Everybody is a newby at some point. I can guarantee you won't be teased. Crossfire periodically has a Beginning Pistol class that would eliminate many of your concerns. In addition to classroom learning the basics (safety rules, operation, grip, loading, trigger control, etc.) you then go to the range and shoot a LARGE variety of different handguns, starting with .22 caliber target pistols with virtually NO recoil, and work your way up (as far as you desire to). It's an excellent opportunity to find a handgun that fits your hand, and that you can operate safely. You'll still need to practice, but it gives you a start, and preps you for following up with the CHL class if you decide too.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I too joined in order to respond to this thread.

1) wait times have been very long 6-9 months. I see this has been reduced now to less then 30.
2) cost seems somewhat high but not a big factor
3) I live a pretty quite life, this is about as poor as a reason I have and Ill own that.
3) other outlay of money that is not counted in the "chl" itself, ie ammo and the like, some of wich is still outragous in price and hard to find.
4) finding a place not far from home for range time thats not bass pro or cabellas ( far north ft.worth area). if you know a place let mw know.
5) I dont know anyone else that will go with me and sit threw 10 hours of class.
6) I have not found a range that was not full of what I would call responable owners.
7) the few place I called awhile ago stated that class members need to use the wepons that are supplied for the class. I would perfer to use my own stuff. My guess is that safe them an inspection of a firearm. Im sorry but I just dont trust there stuff just as they dont mine.
8) the wife isnt wiled about it, but she knows not to have a fight that she wont win. Ive been involved in shooting sports sence I was 5 so its not a big issue there.
9) the places I travle to all have peacable journey laws and in Texas Im somewhat covered by castle laws.
Im sure there are more reasons this are just a basic few. I do realize none of them are good ones though.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Crossfire »

cheezit wrote:5) I dont know anyone else that will go with me and sit threw 10 hours of class.
I know at least 24 other people that will sit through a class with you. Where else can you go and make 24 new friends and range buddies, all in one day? AND get a CHL out of the deal, to boot!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

GrayHawk

Post by GrayHawk »

I'd like to add as a "Crossfire" graduate, take their class. They are honest as the day is long and will help you from start to finish! Great folks....

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Crossfire »

Hoi Polloi - No one can convince you to to these steps. You have to want it for yourself. I hope it does not take a life changing event for you to make that leap.

When you are ready, let me know. We won't embarass you, we won't make fun of you, and we will guide you through the process. There is also a women's group at Dallas Pistol Club, if you are closer to them. A fine group of ladies who will be happy to teach you, when you are ready.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

GrayHawk wrote:I'd like to add as a "Crossfire" graduate, take their class. They are honest as the day is long and will help you from start to finish! Great folks....
I have to agree with GrayHawk on Crossfire's class. It was very friendly and informative with a comfortable atmosphere, if/when my wife makes up her mind to get her license, I'll probably see if I can sit in on the class with her.

My wife was VERY afraid of firearms up until about a year ago. She started getting used to them being around, but wouldn't touch them. Over the past year I've slowly been teaching her safe handling. She's warming up to the idea of taking my .22 to the range. She actually surprised me last week by walking around with that fully loaded .22 on her hip around the house for a few hours. I just looked at her and said "You realize that 6 months ago you wouldn't have touched that, and now you're walking around with it?"

Baby steps, do them right, and you'll have a new hobby.
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would add that my wife also took Crossfire's basic handgun safety class, and it was a great benefit to her. It was actually taught by her husband Marty that day. BTW, the ladies love Marty because he is patient and kind and instills confidence in them. I highly recommend their course.

BTW, I sent you a PM too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Who's the Crossfire for Dallas? Who in Dallas holds female-only classes?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Crossfire is the handle of the female instructor in the DFW area. Look three or four posts above and PM her if you have any questions.

I have never met the lady, (nor many people on this forum actually) but from what I read on here she is one swell lady.

My experience on this forum leads me to believe that if people at the range are members of this forum then nobody is going to laugh, taunt or do anything but offer sound and sage advice.

:tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”