IWB vs. OWB

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

IWB vs. OWB

Post by WildBill »

I usually carry IWB with a High Noon Down Under with straps. Lately I have noticed many members of the forum posting pictures of their new OWB holsters, e.g. TAM's new Kirkpatrick Undercover holster. I have been thinking that, since I usually wear an untucked shirt which would cover an OWB holster, why do I bother with the IWB. Comments please. :???:
NRA Endowment Member

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IWB vs. OWB

Post by Sidro »

I own several owb holsters but only wear them when hunting or target shooting. I have yet to find an owb that pulls the pistol as close into my body for concealment purposes as my iwb holsters. Would really like to wear owb holsters daily but just not comfortable as to concealment with them as with iwb. Just my thoughts and experience.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Sidro wrote:I own several owb holsters but only wear them when hunting or target shooting. I have yet to find an owb that pulls the pistol as close into my body for concealment purposes as my iwb holsters. Would really like to wear owb holsters daily but just not comfortable as to concealment with them as with iwb. Just my thoughts and experience.
Thanks for your comments. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

USA1

Post by USA1 »

I had a Done Hume OWB holster for a XD40sc and it did a great job
of holding the gun high and tight against the body.

It featured a slide guard to keep sweat away and a
fairly extreme forward cant which aided in reduced printing.

Bottom line for me is :
IWB conceals better.
OWB is more comfortable.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I use a Bianchi 82 Carrylok. I haven't been able to find an IWB that's comfortable enough that I can live with it. If I could put on another 10 or 20 lbs maybe. Hawaiian shirts seem to work well.

skub

Post by skub »

Carried OWB with a Comp-tac for almost 6 years. Recently been "outed" a couple of times by the bottom peeking out from under my shirt. Just got a MTAC last week. Not as comfortable, but now I can put it on and not have to worry about it.
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

karder

Post by karder »

OWB for me is much more comfortable, but as you mentioned, it can be harder to conceal. I probably carry OWB about 75% of the time. It really depends on what I am wearing for the day. Galco makes some high ride OWB holsters which do a good job of pulling the gun close. I tend to like a paddle holster as it can be removed easily if the need arises, but in my experience they don't hug the body as closely as the normal belt loop holsters. I typically carry service size pistols, so IWB is more uncomfortable for me due to the size of my carry. For maximum concealment, it is hard to beat IWB though.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

All other things being equal, IWB hides better than OWB under a covering garment, but an OWB is more comfortable by far. I'm talking about high ride holsters whereby you can access your gun quickly. Those low ride IWB's look like they would work for people who want to carry a gun and are willing to trade accessibility for deep cover without an outer garment. Good for the office perhaps, but not the street.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:... since I usually wear an untucked shirt which would cover an OWB holster, why do I bother with the IWB.
As always, you have to establish a mission profile.

I wouldn't use the OWB in an relatively crowded environment like a supermarket or social get-together. There is too much chance of someone backing into you or patting you in a friendly way and getting the unmistakable impression that it isn't a cell phone or wallet.

OWB is fine for traveling or outdoor activity where you are not in a crowd.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

OWB is fine for traveling or outdoor activity where you are not in a crowd.
That's been my conclusion, too.

TX CHL 1997
CO CHP 2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I wear both ways but I prefer OWB for comfort reasons, and I carry that way more often. But there are some days that I just can't abide a holster on my hip at all because of back pain. Then I resort to a shoulder holster.

I'm a "large framed" individual, and I just don't have trouble concealing an owb rig most of the time. BTW, that new one of mine mentioned in the OP carried very well this evening with a fill-sized M&P 45 at a banquet I attended - and it was pretty crowded there.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

I also use a Bianchi Carrylok 82 for my XD9SC and XD45c. I just got one for my new S.A. Loaded 1911. I just wear my shirt untucked and works great. But otherwise I use an MTAC for IWB. Summer time it gets more use and winter time the OWB gets more use. But the Carrylok is nice as it does pull in tight and the serpa lok works good. I use it in IDPA and training and no a problem accessing or using.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

sooeey2u

Post by sooeey2u »

XDSC 9mm everyday carry in OWB Blackhawk Serpa retention lock hoister

Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

I switch between my Comptac Gladiator which is a leather kydex hybrid OWB and my MTAC. I have to say the OWB is much more comfortable and I have yet to be made while wearing it.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

That's the other thing I like about the Bianchi 82 Carrylok. It rides pretty high. I like the retention too. It ain't fallin out. I'm always looking for a better OWB holster though. Think I want to try a Galco next.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”