Dallas Zoo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dallas Zoo

Post by wgoforth »

texas1234 wrote:The Dallas area is the only place in America where you cant buy beer at some of the convenience stores but could score crack rock in a matter of minutes. I hate the Dallas area.
So are you saying you want to be able to purchase both or to be able to purchase neither?
I've lived in 6 states and can tell you that you will find similar all over America.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kidder014
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kidder014 »

pdubyoo wrote:Control yourself...I'm not asking if the Dallas Zoo is posted 30.06.

As a matter of fact, I'm posting to tell you that the Dallas Zoo is not posted 30.06. I took the family there on Monday this week, and I searched high and low for a 30.06 sign, and nothing. I spent a good 15-20 minutes at the entrance when I was leaving (waiting on all my girls in the RR), and I looked everywhere, and it's not there. :shock: So, carry on Garth, carry on! :mrgreen:
My family and I went to the Dallas Zoo this past Saturday. We ended up having to park in the overflow parking lot and enter the zoo from the "secondary" entrance off of the overflow lot. This particular entrance, whether enforceable or not, is clearly posted 30.06, and here is a photo to prove it.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragonfighter »

Rex B wrote:So, what caliber is appropriate for gorillas? :biggrinjester:
Before the big break out, my wife had noticed weaknesses in the gorilla and tiger enclosures, she went quite often as our daughter volunteered out there. My wife told several people about the problems and was poo-pooed. She asked me if her .38 +P+ could stop a gorilla or tiger. I said they could if well placed but at least they might turn 'em...it was the first time in a long time she carried her "heavy" gun. The week after she reported the problems, the gorilla escaped and was shot by police.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

KFP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KFP »

Does anyone know if bags are searched at all?
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

No, you may rarely see a patrol car in the main lot and the occasional sheriff deputy on bike patrol, but no searches, no wanding and no signs at the main entrance. There was a memo that came from the city manager's office when the law changed to remove all such signs but you still see the remnants from time to time.
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

KFP

Post by KFP »

We took the DART down to the zoo this morning and had a great day. The new exhibit is extremely good! I had never been to the Dallas Zoo before, but my impression was that the new exhibit has really transformed half of the zoo. We made it through the whole day without any issues, there were no bag searches, and I didn't see any signs at all. There was a huge police presence there today from DPD and their security guards; maybe it was for the new exhibit, Memorial Day weekend, etc. I will say that riding the DART down and back was an experience - I was very pleased that I was armed. The zoo is definitely worth a visit!
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

KFP wrote:<SNIP>
I will say that riding the DART down and back was an experience - I was very pleased that I was armed. The zoo is definitely worth a visit!
Now THAT is an interesting statement. :mrgreen:

thenick_ttu
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thenick_ttu »

I appologize for bumping a 4 year old thread but has anyone been to the Dallas Zoo recently and is there a valid 30.06 sign? I plan on going this Friday and would like to ride the DART but I need to know beforehand if I can carry into the zoo.

The DCAD website lists the owner as "Dallas Zoological Society" so I'm thinking it is NOT government/city owned. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

thenick_ttu wrote:I appologize for bumping a 4 year old thread but has anyone been to the Dallas Zoo recently and is there a valid 30.06 sign? I plan on going this Friday and would like to ride the DART but I need to know beforehand if I can carry into the zoo.

The DCAD website lists the owner as "Dallas Zoological Society" so I'm thinking it is NOT government/city owned. Can anyone clear this up for me?
The Zoological Society and a non-profit called DZM (Dallas Zoo Manaegement) run the zoo, but the propery is owned by the City of Dallas. So, a 30.06 sign is not legally binding on the property. Doesn't mean if you are found carrying they might try to push the issue though.

http://www.dallaszoo.com/about-us/histo ... allas-zoo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Interesting....I went to the link Keith provided and under the FAQs section of Planning a trip to the Dallas Zoo and under the question, can I bring weapons to the zoo?, it states: "No. Under state law, the Zoo is considered both an amusement park and an educational institution, so concealed wepons aren't allowed, even for licensed holders of concealed handgun permits." I'm not questioning any posters from above, just find this interesting and puzzling. I haven't been there since I was a kid and really have no interest in going back, but thought I would share.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

txglock21 wrote:Interesting....I went to the link Keith provided and under the FAQs section of Planning a trip to the Dallas Zoo and under the question, can I bring weapons to the zoo?, it states: "No. Under state law, the Zoo is considered both an amusement park and an educational institution, so concealed wepons aren't allowed, even for licensed holders of concealed handgun permits." I'm not questioning any posters from above, just find this interesting and puzzling. I haven't been there since I was a kid and really have no interest in going back, but thought I would share.
They try to claim their are both, Here is the definition of 'amusement park'
(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
So, I guess they could argue they have 'amusement rides', but it would be a stretch. As for educational institution, I don't believe they fit the intent.

Again, there is no case law here, so if caught carrying you may have to be the test case.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Keith B wrote:
txglock21 wrote:Interesting....I went to the link Keith provided and under the FAQs section of Planning a trip to the Dallas Zoo and under the question, can I bring weapons to the zoo?, it states: "No. Under state law, the Zoo is considered both an amusement park and an educational institution, so concealed wepons aren't allowed, even for licensed holders of concealed handgun permits." I'm not questioning any posters from above, just find this interesting and puzzling. I haven't been there since I was a kid and really have no interest in going back, but thought I would share.
They try to claim their are both, Here is the definition of 'amusement park'
(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
So, I guess they could argue they have 'amusement rides', but it would be a stretch. As for educational institution, I don't believe they fit the intent.

Again, there is no case law here, so if caught carrying you may have to be the test case.
It seems they have a "Monorail Safari", is that considered an amusement ride?
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Their statement sounds like they believe or want others to believe that amusement parks are statutorily off limits...I think it changed with places of worship did it not? They are stretching...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

An educational institution, are the accredited by the State Board of Education?

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

I would carry without any guilt or worry. YMMV
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”