What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

robert_de_niro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by robert_de_niro »

My instructor was not very polite about people asking for help on compelting their packets (which, if you ask me, shouldn't be a big deal).

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

The paper work & CHECKING IT were part of the turn key class I took. What ever the cost, it is worth it for us who do not see this paper work but once every 4 or 5 yrs. Find another instructor next time.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

longtooth wrote:The paper work & CHECKING IT were part of the turn key class I took. What ever the cost, it is worth it for us who do not see this paper work but once every 4 or 5 yrs. Find another instructor next time.

Agreed, find a more helpful instructor next time.

LT and I both use the same instructor, even though its an hour drive one way for me... it is well worth it.

He is attentive to your needs...and very good at making sure the paperwork is in order.

I like that!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skipper5 »

Our instructor was great....for the conflict resolution section...he brought in a PhD ...behaviorist to handle that area.....
Sure he was really good at this...but on our day...his beeper and cell phone for professional assistance to his patients was a bit distractive.

We did not get too much into the hypothethical stuff...some 'what if' but he used the laws in good examples so alot of questions and general bull that holds up some class situations, that was not our problem.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Alric

Post by Alric »

My instructor wasn't up to date concerning gun laws recently passed. Not directly related to CHL, but neither of the two instructors in the class were aware of the Traveling definition recently passed. There were other things they said that cued me in on their outdatedness.
CHL Timeline:
Application sent - 8/21
PIN marked sent by DPS - 9/27
PIN Received - 9/30
Plasic in Hand - 10/10

Armed and peaceful!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 10

Post by txinvestigator »

Alric wrote:My instructor wasn't up to date concerning gun laws recently passed. Not directly related to CHL, but neither of the two instructors in the class were aware of the Traveling definition recently passed. There were other things they said that cued me in on their outdatedness.
There was no definition of traveling recently passed.

Instructors have to renew every two years, so hopefully he will get his info updated this year when he renews.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

fadlan12

Post by fadlan12 »

llwatson wrote:
propellerhead wrote: Run the intro part of the class including the handgun training. Then shoot at 3 yards. Go back to class for the rest of the morning session, then shoot the 7 yards right before the lunch break. Then shoot the 15 yards in the middle of the afternoon session.
I like the idea, but I don't think it would be manageable for me.

However, I do arrange my lesson plan so that shooting comes right after lunch. It seems to help by breaking up the classroom part and the students manage to stay awake better for the afternoon session.

Not that my classes are boring! :lol: But, you all know you can only take so much!
Sorry but going cold like that to shoot is bad enough and then add that pressure of passing the test. better to have it all at once. maybe split the groups up

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

txinvestigator wrote:
Alric wrote:My instructor wasn't up to date concerning gun laws recently passed. Not directly related to CHL, but neither of the two instructors in the class were aware of the Traveling definition recently passed. There were other things they said that cued me in on their outdatedness.
There was no definition of traveling recently passed.

Instructors have to renew every two years, so hopefully he will get his info updated this year when he renews.
Its not a definition per se, its a presumption. However, from reading a forum of Texas Distict Attorneys, some of them see it as a definition of some form. (thats not legally correct, but neither is ordering the arrest of a person who didn't break the law)
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Alric

Post by Alric »

Okay, presumption. That is what I was referring to, and it was passed in September 2005, correct? Seems recent enough to me, given how fast the law moves.
CHL Timeline:
Application sent - 8/21
PIN marked sent by DPS - 9/27
PIN Received - 9/30
Plasic in Hand - 10/10

Armed and peaceful!

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Photoman wrote:By far my biggest complaint was the gunhandling exhibited by the instructor. Downright frightening! I saw so many infractions of Rule #2 that I lost count. Witnessed one failure to decock before inserting the loaded gun into a fanny pack. Gave me the heebie jeebies! :shock:

wow...ok...++1 as to your concern there!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

ranberndt

League City

Post by ranberndt »

I took my class in League City.

I liked it.

The instructor/gun range owner/ex-LEO was quite good. Very informative.

He kept a strict class. He appeared to follow the rules quite closley.

The metal chairs were bad. The room was small, but comfortable.

He had a singing daschund..if that matters.

He gave excellent scenarios for deadly force.

We had a well behaved class. The only thing that bugged me was that MOST of the folks knew very little about the guns they owned. scary. Even a guy with a big-honkin' custom 1911 was fairly clueless.

I'll go back to that class for renewal.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 10

Re: League City

Post by Crossfire »

ranberndt wrote:
I think we need to know more about that. Are you talking about a real live singing weenie dog? :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Diode
Posts in topic: 6

Re: League City

Post by Diode »

llwatson wrote:
ranberndt wrote:
I think we need to know more about that. Are you talking about a real live singing weenie dog? :lol:
Yeah, I am feeling ripped here, I didnt get a singing Winnie dog, unless you count our instructor! :shock:

ranberndt

Yes, a singing dog

Post by ranberndt »

Picture this....

A short, gruff, ex-marine looking instructor barking <pardon the pun> at you for 6 hours - then, this old weenie dog comes in and jumps on his lap.

He starts talking to the dog. Saying "I know your tired, but please sing a song for the group".

We all looked at each other.

...then it happened.

The instructor started to sing and the dog took it from there.

It did wonders to lighten the mood in the room.

Then we went & did the shooting..... not the dog, the targets.

Diode
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Diode »

That's great!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”