Why I carry, even in the house

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Why I carry, even in the house

Post by PappaGun »

chartreuse wrote:
Running with that idea, but avoiding upsetting the neighbours, how about a button that, instead of ringing a bell, simply lights up a "No Solicitors" sign?
Now that's a great idea!

:cheers2:
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Fangs
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Fangs »

I'm sure you could get one that shocks them, like those pens. :smilelol5:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

RPB wrote:
TxSigp229 wrote:My best friend (he is LEO), my girlfriend and her friends laugh at me because I OC inside the house. My response to them is "Thats why its called a HOME-invasion".
Agreed, home invasions rarely occur at the mall :biggrinjester:
It's not the mall, but what about Home Depot? :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RPB wrote:
CDH wrote:Now you guys have me thinking that a No Soliciting sign isn't enough.
How about this:
"Solicitors will be treated like scouts for a burglary ring" or "Strangers at my door will be treated like home invasion suspects"

The only time my sidearm isn't on my hip are when it is forbidden by enforceable law and when I'm in the shower. I have 2 kids at home too, 6 and 4 years old. Oh, sorry, maybe when I'm in the field bird hunting the pistol can stay in the truck if it's hot and I don't want to soak the holster with sweat, but then I have a shotgun instead. :thumbs2:
You disarm to shower? You need one of those non-rusting ceramic/porcelain Glocks :mrgreen: "rlol"
Ahhh, Die Hard, my wife's favorite Christmas movie.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Morgan wrote:How about a button that activates an external speaker that sounds like a shotgun being racked? For better effect, put the speaker in the bush that's in the yard.
That's too funny!!!

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

I carry all the time even at home you never know what may happen or where.
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I don't carry around the hose because I would look stupid with a holster on over my boxer shorts. :mrgreen: I no longer have young ones around the house so I have a loaded gun nearby, no matter which room I am in. Yep...even the toilet. I never answer the door without a weapon in my hand or tucked into the back of the blue jeans I throw on to answer the door.

Something to consider. If a person kicks in your door and puts the bums rush on your family, you could probably grab the gun off the end table quicker than you could draw from a sitting position anyway.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

TxSigp229 wrote:My best friend (he is LEO), my girlfriend and her friends laugh at me because I OC inside the house. My response to them is "Thats why its called a HOME-invasion".
Shame on him - he above everyone elso should know the dangers out there and support you. :grumble
CHL since 01/26/09

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

witchdoctor575 wrote:
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:witchdoctor575:

Your bride has her own 1911?

She rocks.

SIA
yup... she has a pt1911. although she wants an officers model when she gets her chl. don't all wifes have their own 1911's? :lol:: i don't think she is as worried about home invasion as I am, so I don't think she will ever carry at home.
:iagree: She rocks. Mine doesn't have a 1911 but she has a Walther PPK/S and I wish she'd get serious about learning how to use it. You might be suprised; hopefully your lady starts keeping hers within reach.
CHL since 01/26/09

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I try to keep one within reach at home as much as I can. Unless we are expecting someone we don't answer the door PERIOD.
CHL since 01/26/09

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I don't carry around the hose because I would look stupid with a holster on over my boxer shorts. :mrgreen: I no longer have young ones around the house so I have a loaded gun nearby, no matter which room I am in. Yep...even the toilet. I never answer the door without a weapon in my hand or tucked into the back of the blue jeans I throw on to answer the door.
Something to consider. If a person kicks in your door and puts the bums rush on your family, you could probably grab the gun off the end table quicker than you could draw from a sitting position anyway.
I have a lightweight Suede clip-on IWB holding my Diamondback DB380, and it doesn't even pull the elastic down on my boxers .... so comfortable I've slept in that setup for 3 weeks now, but if Microtech Firearms ever releases that 7 ounce 9mm Archangel MCP, the holster may hold it instead.

Oh, as far as "would look stupid" I don't mind, I was born looking that way. :biggrinjester: But there's no one to see me in my boxers anyway, only reason I wear boxers is I would look stupid with an IWB holster on without boxers. :smilelol5:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

witchdoctor575 wrote:my wife thinks I am nuts to carry at home, but she doesn't give me grief for it. at least when I have to pull an all nighter she puts her 1911 in her nightstand drawer. she knows crazies lurk everywhere.
A friend of mine woke up one night to find a man standing over her with HER gun in his hand. He had simply opened her nightstand drawer and picked it up while she slept soundly. Most of us sleep soundly at some point during the night to the point it can take a pretty loud sound to waken us. Luckily, it was dark enough he did not realize she had awakened. She waited and he simply left since guns was what he was looking for to steal. He had searched through her home for a while and gotten others as well. He was later caught. He was a young man who was living on her street and had burglarized several houses without the owners even waking up while he quietly searched their bedrooms and closets.

I do not ever put my gun in the night stand or under my bed. It's like putting the key to the house under the door mat--it's common knowledge to look for it there. My gun is right next to me in a simple clip holster under a long body pillow that I sleep with my arms around under the covers. If someone even thought of looking for it there, they would have to disturb me to do it. I don't want to ever wake up to the situation my friend did.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

glocklvr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by glocklvr »

TexasGal wrote:
witchdoctor575 wrote:my wife thinks I am nuts to carry at home, but she doesn't give me grief for it. at least when I have to pull an all nighter she puts her 1911 in her nightstand drawer. she knows crazies lurk everywhere.
A friend of mine woke up one night to find a man standing over her with HER gun in his hand. He had simply opened her nightstand drawer and picked it up while she slept soundly. Most of us sleep soundly at some point during the night to the point it can take a pretty loud sound to waken us. Luckily, it was dark enough he did not realize she had awakened. She waited and he simply left since guns was what he was looking for to steal. He had searched through her home for a while and gotten others as well. He was later caught. He was a young man who was living on her street and had burglarized several houses without the owners even waking up while he quietly searched their bedrooms and closets.

I do not ever put my gun in the night stand or under my bed. It's like putting the key to the house under the door mat--it's common knowledge to look for it there. My gun is right next to me in a simple clip holster under a long body pillow that I sleep with my arms around under the covers. If someone even thought of looking for it there, they would have to disturb me to do it. I don't want to ever wake up to the situation my friend did.

That's why I sleep with a dog in my room to wak me before anybody gets near my room.
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

joe817 wrote:
Howbout putting a whole bunch of buttons there and watch through the peephole at their confusion
Or an ambulance siren and light bar lights hard wired to the doorbell. Talk about a rude awakening! :shock: :biggrinjester:
My doorbell on my rent house quit working and I was seriously considering wiring up a car horn to the button instead. I wonder how many heart attacks that would cause... :smilelol5:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

flb_78 wrote:
dewayneward wrote:
I unholstered my hi-point 9mm and charged the weapon

You don't carry it ready to go? Think there will always be plenty of time to charge it when you need it?

This was one of those rare times that I didnt have it cocked and locked. I had just gotten home and "thought" that we were in the for the night and was getting ready for bed. I unchamber when I put it in my gunsafe. The "better" half decided she wanted to put up a few recent purchases and I certainly wasnt going to let her be out and about by herself in the front yard so I provided security (and a strong back).

Of course, in her mind there was no reason to be armed :roll: :roll:
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”