CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
UofHdevildog
Posts in topic: 5

So my truck got broken into....

Post by UofHdevildog »

Just another reason why I hate Houston.

Think they got spooked because nothing was missing. Word to the wise get car safe! Now I get to spend money fixing what some lowlife broke. How I wish I wouldve caught him in the act and "demonstrated" my disapproval personally. Wouldve been the last truck he broke into. My more liberal family members want to critisize my decision to carry!

I'll stress it again to the noobs get a $40 safe to protect your $1000 gun!

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 2

Re: So my truck got broken into....

Post by mctowalot »

. Your spot on about the car safe.
The scum will smash your window for small change if they think they can get away with it. This happens everywhere these days.
Are you aware of any bargains on car safes?
Last edited by mctowalot on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
UofHdevildog

Post by UofHdevildog »

Bass Pro has a nice thick one for about $45

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Thanks for the heads up on the safe. That's a great gift idea come to think of it. "I got you something so you can keep the stuff you already have".

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TLynnHughes »

Someone else here on the forum recommended the Center of Mass (http://www.center-of-mass.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) website as a place for safes specifically for the car. I put one from there on my list to Santa. :lol:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Bill

Post by Bill »

Last week I helped HPD with parking lot inspection of cars. We gave out report cards and left on them each car, I would say 20-30 percent out of 2000 card failed, either windows down, packages visible or unlocked. BMV is up 600% this year in houston. Do not leave valuables visible, lock your door
retired CHL Instructor

quidni

Post by quidni »

TLynnHughes wrote:Someone else here on the forum recommended the Center of Mass (http://www.center-of-mass.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) website as a place for safes specifically for the car. I put one from there on my list to Santa. :lol:

T.
I use the CoM safe in my vehicle. Or, at least I did before we lost my Ranger to an engine fire. However, the safe (and the Ruger and speed strips inside) made it through the intense heat in the cab with no damage to the safe, cable, or contents! Had the cab itself burned it might have not fared as well, but temps in the cab were high enough to melt almost everything made of plastic that wasn't below seat level. No smoke or soot got into the safe. A few drops of water from the high-pressure fire hose, yes, but that was it.

Once I have a gunsmith check the Ruger over, it will go back into the CoM safe and into the next vehicle.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Estand

Post by Estand »

I got this from Cabellas last week on sale. Looks like it is still on sale online $20 small or large, not too shabby. It's decent and the looks like the same one the Center of Mass sells for $29 or 37. I recommend the large one regardless of size you carry so you can put magazines, etc in also if desired.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... rm1&Go.x=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secure-It Key-Operated Handgun Storage Safe
Item:9IS-228564 - Reg: $29.99 - Sale: $19.99

Oh and I looked at Bass Pro shop online, I did not see one for $49 as someone posted but I did see this one for $29, which looks really decent I have to say. Anyone have experience or opinion about this one?? I would like to know >> http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ELL_SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
UofHdevildog

Post by UofHdevildog »

Bill wrote:Last week I helped HPD with parking lot inspection of cars. We gave out report cards and left on them each car, I would say 20-30 percent out of 2000 card failed, either windows down, packages visible or unlocked. BMV is up 600% this year in houston. Do not leave valuables visible, lock your door
My vehicle was secured completely and I had no valubles in it.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Bill wrote:Last week I helped HPD with parking lot inspection of cars. We gave out report cards and left on them each car, I would say 20-30 percent out of 2000 card failed, either windows down, packages visible or unlocked. BMV is up 600% this year in houston. Do not leave valuables visible, lock your door
You forgot a step: Do not take a load of purchases out to the car, then return to the mall for more. If you put stuff in your car, get in it and leave. Even if you just circle the mall and park in a different spot, you'll throw off those who are looking for easy scores.

UofHdevildog wrote:My vehicle was secured completely and I had no valubles in it.

No stereo? No air bag? No CDs? There are lots of things of "value" to thieves, even though we might consider them ordinary and not worth stealing. Like someone said, the change in your ashtray is more cash than the thief had before breaking in.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I would guess that car burglars won't take the time to attempt opening a car safe so the most important part of a handgun/car safe is how well it'll stay attached to the car...?

Yes?

No?

I may buy that Cabelas safe if the answer is yes.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

What exactly are you allowed to do if you catch some lowlife breaking into your vehicle?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

particle

Post by particle »

Abraham wrote:I would guess that car burglars won't take the time to attempt opening a car safe so the most important part of a handgun/car safe is how well it'll stay attached to the car...?

Yes?

No?

I may buy that Cabelas safe if the answer is yes.
I have the Cabela's safe - I personally don't endorse it. I usually keep mine next to the bed, but I don't keep my gun in it anymore... My gun is either on the nightstand beside the bed, or on my hip. 3 or 4 times now, my children have come into my room early in the morning and stepped on the "safe" while it was propped open with the locking latch with my gun in it sitting on the floor next to me. When they step on it, the locking latch slips down over the locking plate, and the thing binds shut because the mechanisms get bent slightly. I can't open it with a key, and I have to pry it open with a screwdriver - I've done this several times... It may slow a thief down, but they're not very secure. I don't keep it totally unlocked because the case closes so tightly (the metal rubs) that I can't hardly open it without prying it open with my fingernails.

Regarding how well it'll stay attached to the car - it comes with the cable to secure it to the vehicle. However, I don't imagine it'd stand a chance against bolt cutters, and it can still be pried open in seconds.

Now, before the flaming starts for keeping a loaded firearm on my nightstand with children in the house - relax. I don't keep a round in the chamber because my children aren't strong enough to cycle the slide. Heck, my wife can barely cycle it!
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Particle,

Thanks!

I was thinking of using it on the rare occasion I disarm while out and about - like when voting, etc.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

particle wrote:Now, before the flaming starts for keeping a loaded firearm on my nightstand with children in the house - relax. I don't keep a round in the chamber because my children aren't strong enough to cycle the slide. Heck, my wife can barely cycle it!
This is not a flame! I just didn't know if you had ever read what the law in Texas says about having a round in the chamber. Good luck!

Texas Penal Code:

46.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD. (a) In
this section:
(1) "Child" means a person younger than 17 years of
age.
(2) "Readily dischargeable firearm" means a firearm
that is loaded with ammunition, whether or not a round is in the
chamber.
(3) "Secure" means to take steps that a reasonable
person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable
firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm
in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm