iPhone CCW law app

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

iPhone CCW law app

Post by Rex B »

Great idea: Utah Legal Heat, publishers of Legal Heat: 50 State Guide to Firearm Laws and Regulations, has just released an iPhone app called Legal heat. It summarizes the rules for every state in a quick-ref on your phone.

Great idea, but the information on Texas is very incorrect, and does not reflect the changes subsequent to the original restrictive laws regarding prohibited places. I did write to the company with a list of the errors I saw.

I hope they get the same sort of feedback from all 50 states.
Could be real useful on trips. As it is now I would not trust it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
Rex B

Followup

Post by Rex B »

Got a quick response from the author:

Thank you for your email. I have looked into it and for Texas I was (and shouldn't have been) relying on a link from a sherrifs website to a PDF that was in fact out of date. I then verified them with a couple of sites like handgunlaw.us but it appears I must have overlooked the errors. I apologize for this and will submit a change by the end of the day. There is an update to 4 states that will be coming out in the next week or so and I will try to include Texas in that. I have made, and will continue to make, every effort to be as accurate as possible. As I have for most other states, I will only rely on statutes as a reference.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Phil
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: iPhone CCW law app

Post by MadMonkey »

Sounds like it might be a great resource. I'm sure we have plenty of people on here who can educate him on any mistakes he makes! :mrgreen:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

KFP

Post by KFP »

I guess there is an app for that.

What is the going rate for it?
Life Member NRA & TSRA

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm not an iPhone guy (thanks, Verizon!), but I do have a crackberry. I wonder if there is an equivalent app for us poor addled crackberry luddites.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Backslider

Post by Backslider »

KFP wrote:What is the going rate for it?
$1.99
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

KFP

Post by KFP »

Backslider wrote:
KFP wrote:What is the going rate for it?
$1.99
Not bad.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I use "IBEARARMS" app for the iphone. Seems to be a decent resource but just quotes the forbidden area's chapter and verse for 46.035. 46.03 wasn't even mentioned. It has all 50 states along with a reciprocity for each state. You can select your home state. I hope these APPS get better as they start to get used.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

stumpjumper_steve

Re: Followup

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

Rex B wrote:Got a quick response from the author:

Thank you for your email. I have looked into it and for Texas I was (and shouldn't have been) relying on a link from a sherrifs website to a PDF that was in fact out of date. I then verified them with a couple of sites like handgunlaw.us but it appears I must have overlooked the errors. I apologize for this and will submit a change by the end of the day. There is an update to 4 states that will be coming out in the next week or so and I will try to include Texas in that. I have made, and will continue to make, every effort to be as accurate as possible. As I have for most other states, I will only rely on statutes as a reference.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Phil
Sounds like he's eager to make the changes. If the changes are made and kept up to date, it's certainly an app I'll pay $1.99 for.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

I expected more than 3 pages of general info on Texas ....

Wasnt impressed

bat0man007

Post by bat0man007 »

very interesting app, its very useful

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”