CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

LEO open carry.

:lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

longtooth
Posts in topic: 10

Post by longtooth »

Cheater.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

cjlandry wrote:But wouldn't these rigs be perfect for the occasional open-carry situation in Texas?
If open carry were legal, I would get me one of them. But since it isn't, I haven't gotten one of them fancy Tucker holsters yet. Just the plain ones...

roscoe46

Post by roscoe46 »

I'd like to see OC as option for those who have a CHL.
When i spend my money for the CHL course & pay the license fee,
i feel like i'm showing a certain amount of integrity that you should
be using for carrying a handgun either open or concealed. If you
don't have that integrity you shouldn't have a CHL to begin with.

roscoe46

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kw5kw »

An option, in lue of giving CHL’s blatant, outright open carry, would be to either do away with or ease the 'printing' problem in the law, or the occasional, 'accidental' "flash" of my handgun.

That would make me happy.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kw5kw wrote:An option, in lue of giving CHL’s blatant, outright open carry, would be to either do away with or ease the 'printing' problem in the law, or the occasional, 'accidental' "flash" of my handgun.

That would make me happy.
An accidental "flash" doesn't violate TPC §46.035(a). It requires intentional failure to conceal.

Chas.

§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

roscoe46 wrote:I'd like to see OC as option for those who have a CHL.
When i spend my money for the CHL course & pay the license fee,
i feel like i'm showing a certain amount of integrity that you should
be using for carrying a handgun either open or concealed. If you
don't have that integrity you shouldn't have a CHL to begin with.

roscoe46
Anyone can carry OC.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I believe he was referring to Open Carry not Oleoresin Capsicum spray.

Rugrash

Post by Rugrash »

kw5kw wrote:
nitrogen wrote:It'd be nice if only so people wouldn't be paranoid (or harassed) about accidental printing or an occasional unintentional "flash"
Not that I would carry open like a LEO, but I would like to be more comfortable and not worry about a "flash" or a "print".

Russ
+1 here and I also agree with JBirds concerning people complaining. It could bring out the vote from the anti's if they think the world is gonna end b/c of open carry.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I think open carry should be an option. That said it is possible that if it were, and a substantial number did so it would result in more locations being posted under 30.06

Dave B.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

[/quote]

Edit: FWIW, I'm currently in treatment for the Dunlop disease (belly dun lopped over my belt).
[/quote]

Naw, your like me, your chest just fell down
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

RPBrown wrote:

Edit: FWIW, I'm currently in treatment for the Dunlop disease (belly dun lopped over my belt).

Naw, your like me, your chest just fell down
Middle age: the point in time when your broad mind and narrow waist trade places!

:grin:

Kevin

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nitrogen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: An accidental "flash" doesn't violate TPC §46.035(a). It requires intentional failure to conceal.

Chas.

§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

It might not violate the law, but i've seen it used as an excuse to hassle. A buddy of mine has been hassled for an accidental flash. We were at a resturant in Plano, and his shirt bunched up above his weapon when he went for his wallet. A police officer saw him, and basically hauled us forcefully out, him in handcuffs, while he checked us out. (I was CHL-Less at the time and was not carrying)

It'd be nice, in my view, to lose the requirement to conceal if only to have one less thing to get hassled about.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kw5kw »

nitrogen wrote: It might not violate the law, but i've seen it used as an excuse to hassle. A buddy of mine has been hassled for an accidental flash. We were at a resturant in Plano, and his shirt bunched up above his weapon when he went for his wallet. A police officer saw him, and basically hauled us forcefully out, him in handcuffs, while he checked us out. (I was CHL-Less at the time and was not carrying)

It'd be nice, in my view, to lose the requirement to conceal if only to have one less thing to get hassled about.
What was the result of this?
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nitrogen »

kw5kw wrote:
nitrogen wrote: It might not violate the law, but i've seen it used as an excuse to hassle. A buddy of mine has been hassled for an accidental flash. We were at a resturant in Plano, and his shirt bunched up above his weapon when he went for his wallet. A police officer saw him, and basically hauled us forcefully out, him in handcuffs, while he checked us out. (I was CHL-Less at the time and was not carrying)

What was the result of this?
Basically, after it became apparent that he had no warrants, he was lectured about keeping things concealed, and how he made a lot of people "afraid for their lives" and how he could be in jail if he had anything to drink, and to be more careful.

I think he talked to some superiors who basically told him he shouldn't have made a big deal out of it, but i'm guessing.

Considering he broke the letter of the law, I can't fault the officer for what he did; I'm sure he did it more for show of everyone else in the resturant (especially if someone complained to him).

If anything, it reinforced to me that concealed meant CONCEALED. Some people get freaked out easily, and that I have to respect that, even if I roll my eyes at it. Also, I better be sure 100% of the time that my weapon is concealed.

My basic point: Without open carry, an officer can see something that he sees as breaking the law, without possibly understanding the finer points of it. (Open Carry is illegal vs. Intentionally failing to conceal vs. accidentally failing to conceal)
What happened to my friend and I was (hopefully!) an edge condition, but having seen it makes me want open carry, just to set expectations with the "sheeple" as it were.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”