My first ticket since 1992

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 1

My first ticket since 1992

Post by Kythas »

I was heading to Denton this morning, driving down 380, and got lit up by Denton PD.

The officer walks up to my car and says "I'm SGT ...... with the Denton Police Department. Can I see your license and insurance, please?"

I hand him my DL, CHL, and insurance. Luckily, I had gotten my car inspected 3 days ago - it had expired in August. He looked at the CHL, compared the address with the address on my DL, and asked if I had my weapon on me. "Yes, sir".

He then handed me back my CHL.

"Do you know what the speed limit is on this road?"

"No, sir. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't paying attention." Hey, honesty is the best policy, right?

"Well, I clocked you doing 75 in a 60 MPH zone. Sign here, please." My speedometer must be off, because when he lit me up I looked down and it showed 80.

I signed the ticket, he thanked me for my courtesy, and I now get to take defensive driving. :smilelol5:
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

sheffd

Re: My first ticket since 1992

Post by sheffd »

Ticket or not, sounds good. He wasn't stressed or distressed. Probably more distressed about having to get out in the weather.

http://www.defensivedriving.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good site for the course.
You sometimes find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

austin-tatious

Post by austin-tatious »

Kythas wrote: "Well, I clocked you doing 75 in a 60 MPH zone. Sign here, please." My speedometer must be off, because when he lit me up I looked down and it showed 80.
I believe the fine for speeding is graduated in steps...the larger the difference between your clocked speed and the posted speed, the larger the fine. I believe the first increase is at 15 MPH over the posted speed. So your speedometer may be accurate and he was being merciful to write it for 15 MPH over. Someone with more direct experience can clarify or correct my beliefs.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Kythas:

I have taken defensive driving a few times and they usually start the class
by doing a round robin and asking everyone "what did you get your ticket for?"

I would say 90-95% of the people got straight out speeding tickets. They
stumbled into a radar trap and now have to pay the piper.

But there's always 1 or 2 in the class who tell their story, and all the normal
people just shake their heads at how crazy they are. One girl in our class joked
that she got her speeding ticket while going 80 in the rain, with her baby in the
car, while she was talking on her cell, and 1 or both of her stickers was expired.
She had had a beer or 2 but the cop didn't know. She had other equally bizarre tales as well.

The rest of us found out what she drove, so that if we ever saw her on the road,
we would flee in a different direction. :-)

By the way, DPS troopers and Denton PD are regularly running speed traps from the
right hand breakdown lane on I-35E, Southbound, in Denton in the FM2181 area.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

txbirddog

Post by txbirddog »

But just think,,,,you will save on insurance.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

Just don't get hooked on taking one of the expensive defensive driving schools.

Search around on the web. They have on-line schools accepted by Texas. Costs around $25.00, plus about $10.00 for your past driving record from DPS. Once you start the 'class', you have 10 days to 2 weeks to finish. No rush. If you want to go through it in one day, go for it.

Worked for me....
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

davlanders

Post by davlanders »

I took the online course once and wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

The last time I took comedy defensive driving. Comedy is not that great, but you get a meal included and everyone passes. The answers to the questions are drilled into your head during the day of the course.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

davlanders wrote:I took the online course once and wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

The last time I took comedy defensive driving. Comedy is not that great, but you get a meal included and everyone passes. The answers to the questions are drilled into your head during the day of the course.
Yep, just took it yesterday. Pretty funny, good food, everyone passed. $28.00.

Geoelectro
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

nils

Post by nils »

If you're getting a ticket, what difference does it make to the officer if you're carrying??? In other circumstances I understand, but a ticket?? :headscratch
Sent Packet 7/27
DPS Received 8/11
Plastic in Hand 11/07/2008!!!!

Nils F.
Colt Defender
Springfield Armory Operator-Full Rail
Galco IWB Holster

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Giving the ticket is one of the more dangerous decisions an officer can make. If he was going to give you just the warning, he probably would be less concerned, but some people get mad at getting tickets.

Remember that Trooper Randall Vetter was killed over a seat belt ticket.
Steve Rothstein

Moonfish

Post by Moonfish »

The important thing is that he didn't freak when you told him you were armed... the rest of the contact sounds normal. Thanks for posting your experience... I haven't had a ticket since 1982... so I feel your pain.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”