Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

Post by Liberty »

LittleGun wrote:Interesting phrasing in the article: "...the Texas Legislature which quietly relaxed the state’s concealed weapons rules at the end of last session." The change was no quieter than other changes of the last session.
The bill was attached to a DPS sunset bill. There wasn't a lot of discussion about it in legislature, therefore it was rather quietly passed. Just as it can be claimed that Voter ID noisily failed,
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Crapshoot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crapshoot »

Way I see it this is a very simple and clear cut case of 2 things. A: leftist biased media coverage and B: another politician(Blankinship) turning a hot button issue into a stepping stone for his career.

President of the Police Union? Come on, this guy's got stooge written all over him. And unless something bad happened to a minority, a baby whale, a tree, or the ocean your not gonna hear any objections from those media types that "covered" the story.
‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln
CHL
NRA
Conservative American
Die Hard Texan

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I see no reason for upset.

One officers opinion...

The law won't be affected.

After a bit of time passes the new law will prove itself harmless to LEO's and the wild eyed will calm down.

On both sides...

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

:iagree: It is simply one persons opinion.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

45 4 life
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 45 4 life »

http://www.kc3.com/self_defense/officers_peril.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those who still belive CHL holders are putting officers at risk need to visit this link and do a bit of reading. Do you think an LEO in trouble is going to be concerned with seeing your permit before you start firing to save their lives.

This guy needs to remove the blinders and take a look around. All LEO's have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having law abiding citizens armed and ready.

I have never understood why any LEO would disarm a CHL holder during a traffic stop when they are most open to an assault from unseen foes. While working as a SD in Colorado years ago we had an off duty officier working at a local bank. Two BG's entered, saw the deputy, and immeadiatly killed him and fled the scene. They gave up the idea of robbing the bank, and just killed the officer. LEO's make new enemys every day, and never know when they may try to even the score.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

45 4 life wrote:http://www.kc3.com/self_defense/officers_peril.htm

Those who still belive CHL holders are putting officers at risk need to visit this link and do a bit of reading. Do you think an LEO in trouble is going to be concerned with seeing your permit before you start firing to save their lives.

This guy needs to remove the blinders and take a look around. All LEO's have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having law abiding citizens armed and ready.

I have never understood why any LEO would disarm a CHL holder during a traffic stop when they are most open to an assault from unseen foes. While working as a SD in Colorado years ago we had an off duty officier working at a local bank. Two BG's entered, saw the deputy, and immeadiatly killed him and fled the scene. They gave up the idea of robbing the bank, and just killed the officer. LEO's make new enemys every day, and never know when they may try to even the score.
Articles like that should be mandatory reading for all on-duty LEO's at least once a year. That would include from the Chief/Sheriff on down...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Articles like that should be mandatory reading for all on-duty LEO's at least once a year. That would include from the Chief/Sheriff on down...
:iagree: totally Purplehood. Good post. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jim Lockey

Post by Jim Lockey »

Like the man said, some police are easy going and some are not. Just because I'm a CHL holder does not make me special. Only a man than can protect his family a little better, and hope I never have to.

One other caution. There are a lot of us are now on the computer as if we had a license. I proved that this morning when I ask a policeman put me in his computer. He also said be careful and reinterated the fact that some cops were not easy going. I thanked him for his help.

Jimmy

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

I am not getting the issue. The law clears up a minor problem where Chl'rs forget to give up their card on request and were getting nailed right?
Chl'rs are still required to show their cards no?

Texans still have a right to have a weapon in the vehicle if concealed properly regardless of CHL no?

I am not seeing what the LEO concern would be here.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I think the cop they interviewed was talking purely from the emotions of the moment(with possibly a small dose of contempt for CHL holders mixed in). Surely he will realize how ignorant he sounds when he thinks about it for a little while. Maybe he doesn't believe folks are carrying concealed in the car under the traveling exemption. I bet he would have a conniption fit if he realized how many folks have guns hidden in their cars with no CHL and no intentions of telling an officer who stops them they have it.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

boomerang wrote:Anyone who is upset by this change is an ignorant bigot. And doesn't deserve to carry a gun, wear a badge, or set foot on Texas soil. :txflag:

A peace officer in street clothes spending time with her family on her day off doesn't have to notify.

A federal agent or other special investigator in plain clothes doesn't have to notify.

A convicted felon carrying illegally doesn't have to notify.
YESSIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

john L

Post by john L »

Is it just me or do all the officers become anti-2nd amendment when they get to the top? In Texas, it's perfectly legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car, with out a license, as long as it's concealed; you have no legal responsibility to inform an officer of that weapon if you are stopped.

Yet up until now, they expected us licensed carriers to be legally bound to notify an officer if we are stopped. They seem to forget that us licensed citizens have been extensively investigated to certify we are non felons, sane, have no violent criminal history and are trained by the state to shoot and safely handle our weapons; in other words, a law abiding citizen.

I fail to see the police unions reasoning on this matter; not to mention, I believe that all officers should treat every traffic stop as if the people in the vehicle are armed, if they wish to go home at the end of each shift. For what it's worth, I choose to notify as a professional courtesy, but I'm glad I now have a choice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I would definitely hand my CHL to an officer if stopped, as a courtesy. It is just good to know that if I have a senior moment I don't have to worry about getting my CHL suspended.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Exactly. We are still required by law to hand over the CHL. There is just no penalty if we have a "senior moment".

I think a lot of people are confused and think that we now have the option of displaying CHL or not.

:patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”