Texas reciprocity and my Nevada CCL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Otto N. Sure
Posts in topic: 2

Texas reciprocity and my Nevada CCL

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Howdy! I'm new to the board, but not to CCL. I am a citizen of Nevada here in Texas on a temporary assignment. In Nevada you are only allowed to carry concealed firearms that the carrier has qualified on. My license lists 5 different firearms--it would have been more, but it costs $25 to add an additional firearm.

On my license are both revolvers and semi autos. Texas recognizes the Nevada Concealed Firearms Permit so here's my question may I carry other firearms that are not listed on my Nevada CFP or am I limited to carrying in Texas only those firearms listed on my Nevada CFP?

Thanks!
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas reciprocity and my Nevada CCL

Post by Keith B »

Hi Otto. First off, welcome to the forum.

Texas only has a restriction on semi-auto or revolver, not the model and brand. In Texas if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, then you can carry both. If you qualified with a SA in Nevada, then I see no reason you would be restricted in Texas from carrying either one and no brand/model restriction.

Hope that helps!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Welcome. A CCW holder must obey the law of the state they are in so you have no restrictions on which of your firearms you can carry. You can even carry more than one at any given time if you wish.

Nevada does not recognize Texas CHL even though Texas recognizes Nevada CCL. Because of this I will not spend a dime there and will not visit Nevada or any state that does not recognize Texas CHL. That may be a point you want to make to your elected servants the next time you contact them to see if they will change. If you look at our requirements for getting a CHL they are more than enough that no state should have a reason not to recognize our license.

Enjoy your time here and remember you must obey the law of the state you are in. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
Otto N. Sure
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Thanks guys, that's sort of what I thought. RE: Nevada recognition of Texas CCW's. We've been working for years to get Nevada to recognize ANY other state. In the last couple of years we finally have gotten the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association to consider reciprocity, but it took a new state law to do this. The current list includes about 10 states with others being added slowly.
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Also, in Texas you can carry as many handguns as you can conceal. From what I remember, Nevada only allows one.

And then I realize someone else already made this point. Doh!

Anyhow, welcome to Texas. Someday, I hope to be able to carry in Nevada as well. At least Nebraska added us to their list, so I can go visit family all dressed up now. :mrgreen:

Plans for a Vegas vacation may have to wait a bit longer. The city doesn't have the best track record with my family, and I'm not about to let it become a repeat performance.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”