grey area question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TTUchris
Posts in topic: 4

grey area question

Post by TTUchris »

I'm new to the site, but have been lurking for a while. I have a situation, and this was the first place I thought to ask. Recently, a pretty nasty shooting took place at my apartment, where my fiance and I live. Three suspects attempted to force their way into our neighbor's apartment and in the process, numerous shots were fired. The shootout took place in the hallway right outside the apartment. The neighbor was hit, as were two of his attackers. Bullet holes and blood were everywhere when I got home that afternoon. The police called it a "drug deal gone bad." The complex will not let us out of the lease to move, so we may be stuck.

I do not yet have my CHL, but I carry from the apartment to my car and back each morning/evening, which is legal. My question is this...would it be a bad idea to carry when outside the apartment, but not necessarily going to my car? I have to take the dog out to relieve himself, check the mail, take trash out, etc and I do not like the idea of being unarmed when doing so. Technically, I could be going to my car to leave during any of these activities. I want to always be legal, but I also want to always be prepared. Any thoughts?
CHL Class: 08/29/2009
Application mailed: 09/09/2009
Application received: 09/11/2009
PIN received: 09/27/2009
Application complete/approved: 10/29/2009
CHL received: 11/04/2009

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: grey area question

Post by joe817 »

would it be a bad idea to carry when outside the apartment, but not necessarily going to my car?
Without a CHL? IMO yes it would be. Technically you'd be carrying concealed, without a license. And that violates PC 46.02, and a class A misdemeanor. I feel for you where you live and can't get out of the lease, but as I see it, and I'm no attorney, that carrying while taking out the trash, or getting the mail is inviting arrest. But do what you must do to protect yourself. Carrying to the car and back is certainly justified.

Just my $.02 worth. Work on getting a CHL and you won't have to ask that question. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

flechero

Post by flechero »

Edited to avoid any possible confusion by others reading the incorrect answer.
Last edited by flechero on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgraham541

Post by rgraham541 »

It would be treated as "your property" since you lease.
This brings up another question. If in fact a lease is treated as "your property" why not just open carry?
N5RAG
Many problems of modern society cannot be solved by laws and
the legal system because moral behavior cannot be legislated.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Is your life or the life of a loved one worth a class "A" misdemeanor? You have every reason to keep the gun with you at all times. :tiphat:

The only grey area I see is the foolish restrictions we put up with concerning our right under the 2nd amendment.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
TTUchris

Post by TTUchris »

I'm not sure about the complex being considered "your property." I heard of a few people receiving PIs while drinking beer at their apartment pool (no, not me!).

I don't like doing something illegal just because I could technically get away with it, but as mentioned, my life and my fiance's life are much more important to me. Yes, this will all be moot when I get the CHL (in the works) but the lease will be up by the time I have it in hand, so I'm stuck for now.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Depending upon the crime in your area and the security provided by the owner and/or manager, you may have grounds to get out of the lease. Contact an attorney in your area.

BTW, if you do open-carry in the common areas, you're going to quickly find out that the common areas are not "your property" for purposes of TPC §46.02. In order to be "your property" the property has to be owned by you or under your control. The right to enter and use the "common area" is not tantamount to being able to control it.

Chas.
TPC §46.02 wrote:Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
  • (1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control.
(Emphasis added)

Topic author
TTUchris

Post by TTUchris »

Yes, this will all be moot when I get the CHL (in the works) but the lease will be up by the time I have it in hand, so I'm stuck for now.
:???:

USA1

Post by USA1 »

AEA wrote:Is your life or the life of a loved one worth a class "A" misdemeanor? You have every reason to keep the gun with you at all times. :tiphat:

The only grey area I see is the foolish restrictions we put up with concerning our right under the 2nd amendment.
i agree with Alan .

if it were me under those circumstances, i would just keep it hidden while doing my business on the property .
it may not be "legal" , but the bad guys are not exactly playing by the rules either .

JMHO... :patriot:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

Fox spray is good.

Another option is a short shotgun. Get a shotgun with an 18" barrel (26" overall) and pistol grip. Get a sling and wear a jacket/vest/ long shirt to be discreet for those errands.

Generally, you will hear that you can sling a long gun, over your shoulder and walk down the street legally. This is true. However, you are not on a street, you are on the private propery of the complex and I would be willing to bet that they wouldn't want to see you with it slung in such an obvious way.

In this heat, you will look and maybe feel wierd and hot, but you will be about as secure as you can be

You are on MUCH more solid ground with a long gun in Texas without a CHL.

Also, follow up on Charles' idea of seeking counsel to get you out of the lease due to unsafe living conditions. In the meantime, the shotgun will be excellent self defense weapon which you will want to keep even after you get the CHL.

Also, PRACTICE!!

Good luck

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

not legal w/o a CHL to have a gun on you unless going directly between home and car...

If you are able to use your car and drive the 10 feet from your apartment and the dumpster, or the mail area, then do that... with a gun, perfectly legal.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

TTUchris I assume by your name you are a student at Texas Tech. I believe they may have legal services available to you that may assist you with what Charles suggested. I know at one time they did provide a surprising level of legal services to students.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

A good and street savvy cop that knows his business and the special circumstances surrounding your complex is going to look the other way. A lesser, noob cop will run you in. If you are discreet in your carry, you probably won't have a problem with the cops anyway. Sounds like they have bigger fish to fry in your neighborhood. AEA is correct in noting the real problem here is the Texas legislature's handling of it's citizens Second Amendment rights. My personal opinion is that your would beat the rap in court now in the wake of Heller due to the long delays in obtaining a Texas CHL. That would be a very expensive process, but as the old saying goes, better to be flat broke than financially solvent and carried by six. :patriot:

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Or if you have the ability park farther away from your apartment so when you walk the dog/taking out trash you are heading in the general direction of your car, Just because you don't ever make it to the car is beside the point.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”