Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

garcia946
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

Post by garcia946 »

Big thing is dont sike yourself out. Calm and cool is the way to go. Just another day at the range shooting
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 9

Post by joe817 »

Thanks usa1, and garcia. I'm not concerned about the proficiency test one bit. It will be fun. I look forward to the classroom instruction too. But I will be disappointed in myself if I don't score at least 245 on the shooting portion.

Wifey is paying for the class, combining the Father's Day present to my birthday present. Soooo I'm all happy!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

joe817 wrote:Thanks usa1, and garcia. I'm not concerned about the proficiency test one bit. It will be fun. I look forward to the classroom instruction too. But I will be disappointed in myself if I don't score at least 245 on the shooting portion.

Wifey is paying for the class, combining the Father's Day present to my birthday present. Soooo I'm all happy!

I`m sure will do fine.If you have a good Instructor , you will learn alot and there are lots of good Instructors out there.
Have fun and good luck... :thumbs2:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I don't care if you are shooting ballistic Tupperware or not, if you can't put at least the first 40 rounds into one big ragged hole, you might want to think about practicing more. You really ought to be able to pass that shooting test with all 50 rounds at 25 yards.

I understand some people (many I know) aren't into shooting. :mrgreen: I doubt my accuracy would be all that great if I hadn't spent a lot of time and ammo shooting pistols a few years back. I am still pretty sloppy with pistols, but 7 yards is pretty close.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

MechAg94 wrote:I don't care if you are shooting ballistic Tupperware or not, if you can't put at least the first 40 rounds into one big ragged hole, you might want to think about practicing more. You really ought to be able to pass that shooting test with all 50 rounds at 25 yards.

I understand some people (many I know) aren't into shooting. :mrgreen: I doubt my accuracy would be all that great if I hadn't spent a lot of time and ammo shooting pistols a few years back. I am still pretty sloppy with pistols, but 7 yards is pretty close.
A lot of people like to qualify with the guns they are going to carry. While Glocks and most quality plastic would be easy enough, I don't see a problem with people qualify with these itty biity .380s that are so popular, but these guns aren't going to do real well at 25 Yards. Defencive Shootings for a CHL should be a very rare thing at 25 Yards, and I can't think of any good reason to make people qualify at 25 yards..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Coffeyc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Coffeyc »

I think the hardest part was not lighting the target on fire with muzzle blast.

I am also ticked that my stray shot to the throat of the target counted as 0... you show me someone who will take a .40cal shot in the center of the throat and keep coming, and I will agree that I should have been marked down. :fire
Beretta 96 C .40 S&W
Smith & Wesson 915 9MM
Yes I like my WW2 technology, they go bang every time.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

Liberty wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:I don't care if you are shooting ballistic Tupperware or not, if you can't put at least the first 40 rounds into one big ragged hole, you might want to think about practicing more. You really ought to be able to pass that shooting test with all 50 rounds at 25 yards.

A lot of people like to qualify with the guns they are going to carry. While Glocks and most quality plastic would be easy enough, I don't see a problem with people qualify with these itty biity .380s that are so popular, but these guns aren't going to do real well at 25 Yards. Defencive Shootings for a CHL should be a very rare thing at 25 Yards, and I can't think of any good reason to make people qualify at 25 yards..
I didn't intend to mean that I wanted to change the test. The test is fine. I meant to say that I think shooters should try to be good enough to pass that test at 25 yards with most guns. Unless they are carrying a derringer, they ought to be able to hit that great big piece of paper at 25 yards. I guess I need to take my Kel-tec P32 or my S&W J-frame and see how I do. :) I saw people at my CHL classes that would have trouble with full size guns past 7 yards. While that is adequate, it is not ideal.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

MechAg94 wrote: I didn't intend to mean that I wanted to change the test. The test is fine. I meant to say that I think shooters should try to be good enough to pass that test at 25 yards with most guns. Unless they are carrying a derringer, they ought to be able to hit that great big piece of paper at 25 yards. I guess I need to take my Kel-tec P32 or my S&W J-frame and see how I do. :) I saw people at my CHL classes that would have trouble with full size guns past 7 yards. While that is adequate, it is not ideal.
:iagree:
I gwt a little sensitive about it because people have suggested a tougher qualification standards before. The second amendment isn't qualified to apply to marksmen only.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

Coffeyc wrote:I think the hardest part was not lighting the target on fire with muzzle blast.

I am also ticked that my stray shot to the throat of the target counted as 0... you show me someone who will take a .40cal shot in the center of the throat and keep coming, and I will agree that I should have been marked down. :fire

My wife and daughter took their class a couple of weeks ago. Neither have practiced all that much - but did well enough on the shooting proficiency (my wife scored 238).

I did notice that all of my wife's misses were right in the crotch region. I think it was on purpose... :shock:

redfish76

Post by redfish76 »

Russell wrote:Here's a secret about the shooting test...

They don't count all the holes, only the ones that fall outside of the scoring area.

So......

Shoot yourself enough holes in the right place for plausible deniability, then mess with the people in the lanes next to you by shooting their targets :smilelol5:
Mine was scored the same way. So another option is put your first 40 in the black and then last 10 into the dirt. (j/k)

Drewthetexan

Post by Drewthetexan »

When I took the class there were two women who had never fired a pistol before, didn't own one, and had no idea what they were doing - but somehow decided they wanted their CHL's. The instructor set them up with glocks (I think 23s, but I'm not sure) and the very first rounds they fired were on the "exam". They both passed, the lowest score between them in the 220s IIRC, and I'd guess the majority of the points lost were during the double taps at 21 feet.

phoneguy

Post by phoneguy »

WildBill wrote:
usa1 wrote:the test is very very hard , no breaks ,instructors are brutal, and they make you stand out in the sun for hours. :shock:
Don't forget about the part where you have to field strip, clean and reassemble your handgun. Blindfolded. :biggrinjester:
Or like an episode of "The Unit", where you are blinfolded, and told there are the parts for 5 different handguns, now put them together. (While the other clowns are stumpling around, our young super-stud hero assembles 7 guns. What a guy.)

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Coffeyc wrote:I am also ticked that my stray shot to the throat of the target counted as 0
The scoring is the oval rings. The silhouette is just there to distract you. "rlol"
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

GlockFan wrote:I think the guy in the lane next to me was doing that ....just not on purpose :lol:
I remember having a couple of .45 holes in the fringes of my target. The trouble was, I was shooting a 9mm. I had to argue to get my perfect score.

I believe they just record a pass/fail. My first instructor told us that the pass/fail grade on the shooting exam kept the lawyers from using a score to help in any litigation that may come up from a shooting.

BUT, as with many things I've been told in the classes I've taken, it's not always the absolute "truth".

:headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

rosebud99

Post by rosebud99 »

i think your wife was just giving you a strong hint txfig, to keep ya on the straight and right path...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”