How many rounds before you carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Fangs
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How many rounds before you carry

Post by Fangs »

usa1 wrote:
dicion wrote: Although, on the failure issue... it's yet another reason to carry L&L. Can't Have a FTF on your first round if it's already chambered :mrgreen:
You'll at least get 1 shot off.
:iagree: :thumbs2: my thoughts exactly :smash:
"click"

^ that bullet hates you and didn't fire when struck. Now what? ;-)
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

USA1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by USA1 »

Fangs wrote:
usa1 wrote:
dicion wrote: Although, on the failure issue... it's yet another reason to carry L&L. Can't Have a FTF on your first round if it's already chambered :mrgreen:
You'll at least get 1 shot off.
:iagree: :thumbs2: my thoughts exactly :smash:
"click"

^ that bullet hates you and didn't fire when struck. Now what? ;-)
nothing is foolproof.... :shock:
......good thing my gun has "second strike capability"...
..........if it still doesnt go bang, thats when i ruuuunnnnnnnn ..or re-rack it if time permits :smilelol5:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

Me ? :tiphat:
I mostly carry a CW40 .... have run about 250-300 rds. thru her.... Not one problem at the range using different ammo, I trust her with my life.
My XD .45 .... have run about 400-500 rds. thru her.... Not one problem at the range using different types of ammo, I trust her with my life.
I do feel proficient with clearing any problem I might occur, while or if I run into a bad senario ??!!
Keep em' clean, practice some safe moves, just for future training.
Mac .45 >>>>>>>>> +
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

Mithras61 wrote:
caldvn wrote:Zero rounds before I carry. I have but one gun... :) Let's hope I made the right choice.
"Beware the man who has one gun, for he probably knows how to use it." - Jeff Cooper (or maybe Elmer Keith)
What about the man with 15? :mrgreen:

caldvn

Post by caldvn »

dicion wrote:
Mithras61 wrote:
caldvn wrote:Zero rounds before I carry. I have but one gun... :) Let's hope I made the right choice.
"Beware the man who has one gun, for he probably knows how to use it." - Jeff Cooper (or maybe Elmer Keith)
What about the man with 15? :mrgreen:
In this political climate, you need to "spread the guns" around! It's your patriotic duty to pay for my gun!

Oddly enough that sounds different than "wealth" and "taxes"....in a good way... :woohoo
If my posts sounds like I got a monkey on my back... it's actually a gorilla. Just don't get offended. :)

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I go with 250 rounds through my Glock and XD. As I'm about to hit the 200 mark I'll fire 25 rounds of carry ammo through a clean pistol, fire about a 100 or so to get her dirty from cheap range ammo and fire the last 25 out of the box of carry ammo. After that I feel pretty confidant to call it good.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

popnfresh

Post by popnfresh »

If it is a Glock, 50 rounds of carry ammo is enough to consider it worthy of carrying only because my Glocks have proven themselves reliable with the 10s of thousands of my reloads they have fired with out problems.
They have also proven reliable after 1000+ rounds fired without cleaning.

I would have few doubts about function if I were to get a new Glock to carry. I would however try to fire 1000+ rounds through it without cleaning the first month or asap to be 100% confident.

After cleaning my carry gun I like to fire 5-10 rounds through it just to make sure I didn't forget to put the barrel in or some other stupid problem that would cause a malfunction.

I also like to put 100 or more rounds through a new magazine before adding to the carry rotation.

TheBlake

Post by TheBlake »

Honestly, my glock 23 came straight out of the box in the parking lot after i bought it, got loaded with 12 JHP's, and put in the center console of my truck...

TheBlake

Post by TheBlake »

Maybe i am too trusting... :???:

caldvn

Post by caldvn »

TheBlake wrote:Maybe i am too trusting... :???:
Just make the first round count? :smilelol5:
If my posts sounds like I got a monkey on my back... it's actually a gorilla. Just don't get offended. :)

popnfresh

Post by popnfresh »

Maybe...
I think of it in the same way as I trust people, most will get the "benefit of the doubt" trust(trust that they wont intentionally do me harm) unless I notice some obvious character flaw right away. Then if I like what I see and decide to spend more time with them, they have to earn and keep my confidence in their trustworthiness by repeated reliable behavior until I would almost trust them with my life.

Make the gun you wish to trust your life with, earn that trust.

NeoNyxzus

Post by NeoNyxzus »

I have put about 400 rounds of range ammo (counting the 50 rounds of federal that i used in my test) through my SA XD-9 SC and I have not had a problem yet. I have not put any "carry ammo" through because, to be honest, I haven't given it much thought. I guess I need to research which ammo I plan on using and put a box or two through to see if she likes it. :fire
06/27 : CHL Class
06/28 : Mailed application to DPS
07/06 : Check Cashed
07/19 : Received PIN
07/20 : Processing Application
09/04 : Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
09/11 : Plastic in hand
Wood County
Springfield Armory XD-9 SC
NRA Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

caldvn wrote:
Just make the first round count? :smilelol5:
Good advice.

Just keep in mind the challenges presented by multiple offender situations and folks who don't know or care they've been shot until a few minutes later. This can happen even if your caliber starts with a 4 and you do your part well.

You could easily get well into your backup magazine before things settle down. In those circumstances, there's no substitute for flawless functioning.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

caldvn

Post by caldvn »

Excaliber wrote: Just keep in mind the challenges presented by multiple offender situations and folks who don't know or care they've been shot until a few minutes later. This can happen even if your caliber starts with a 4 and you do your part well.

You could easily get well into your backup magazine before things settle down. In those circumstances, there's no substitute for flawless functioning.
There is only so much one can do when a situation arises that requires the use of a firearm. At a certain point, you have to decide on how far, and how practical it is to bubble yourself from every outcome/scenario you can imagine. Primary firearm + bug, bullets types, calibers, body armor? etc...

I'll be the first to admit that not only do I need to test my defensive ammo (ranges apparently don't like non-brass casings... and shooting a few rounds in my neighborhood wouldn't be very smart.) I also require training in regards to use of a firearm, beyond just going to a gun range and shooting paper targets. (Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a few self defense and firearm classes in the future.) One of my primary reasons I visit this forum often is to learn as much as I can (without paying, I'm a cheapskate) and have picked up a lot of valuable information. Much more then I learned during my CHL class by far.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

caldvn wrote:
Excaliber wrote: Just keep in mind the challenges presented by multiple offender situations and folks who don't know or care they've been shot until a few minutes later. This can happen even if your caliber starts with a 4 and you do your part well.

There is only so much one can do when a situation arises that requires the use of a firearm. At a certain point, you have to decide on how far, and how practical it is to bubble yourself from every outcome/scenario you can imagine. Primary firearm + bug, bullets types, calibers, body armor? etc...

I'll be the first to admit that not only do I need to test my defensive ammo (ranges apparently don't like non-brass casings... and shooting a few rounds in my neighborhood wouldn't be very smart.) I also require training in regards to use of a firearm, beyond just going to a gun range and shooting paper targets. (Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a few self defense and firearm classes in the future.) One of my primary reasons I visit this forum often is to learn as much as I can (without paying, I'm a cheapskate) and have picked up a lot of valuable information. Much more then I learned during my CHL class by far.
It's almost impossible to understand the challenges a real gunfight entails without training in a realistic, 360 degree environment with targets in motion, unidentified persons (who may be innocents or confederates of the bad guy), low light, and no shoot zones beyond the target that's attacking you. The cheap way to do this is to engage in force on force exercises with a tactically experienced partner using Airsoft or similar training tools.

Getting this training is where I would encourage you to start. When you fully understand the problems, you'll be in a good position to work out a solution set that best fits your circumstances and temperament.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”