Found a way to check if a place is a 51% Location!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dicion
Posts in topic: 5

Found a way to check if a place is a 51% Location!

Post by dicion »

I'm pretty excited about this... I was looking up to see if the House Of Blues here in Houston is a 51% location, on texas3006.com. According there, they have a 51% sign. Question is, are they REALLY a 51% location?

So, I did some digging. If you have the Address of a location, it's easy to find their license in the public records search on the TABC Website.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on 'Verify the status and or..." First link.
Then, just put in the address of the location. For me, that was 1204 Caroline St in Houston.
You do not need to fill all the boxes in on this page. It just uses this to search, so put in what you know, and you'll probably be able to find it.

Blam, Up pops License# MB703209, for the House of Blues!

The MB in front of the number means that is is a Mixed Beverage Permit... alright.

Now, here's where it gets fun. Down below, it says 'Subordinates'. That is the OTHER kinds of certificates/exemptions/etc they have included in this one.

If you read their 'application guide for retaillers' available here:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/publication ... ailers.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Page 66, it specifies all the types, and their restrictions. Of Interest to us is License Type "FB", which states:
FOOD AND BEVERAGE CERTIFICATE (FB)
A Food and Beverage Certificate may be issued to the holder of a Beer Retailer’s On-
Premise Permit or Wine and Beer Retailer’s Permit if food service is the primary
business being operated on the licensed premises or to the holder of a Mixed Beverage
Permit or Private Club Permit if food service is available on the premises and the gross
receipts of alcoholic beverages do not exceed 50 percent of total gross receipts.

The holder must meet requirements of the Code and Rule 33.5 concerning minimum
number of entrees served, hours of service, etc.
Certificate allows holder to be exempt from posting a conduct surety bond.
Basically, IF they have a FB CERTIFICATE, THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY LICENSED AS A 51% LOCATION!

Booyeha! I Love when records like this are available to the public!
So, HOB Houston is Faking 51%, when they really are not a 51% location.

Everyone, feel free to look up and verify the status of any locations that you think are faking 51%.

EDITED TO ADD: Note, LACK of a FB Cert. still does NOT mean it IS a 51% location. It's not an absolute yes/no in every case, but should help in some!
Last edited by dicion on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
dicion

Re: Found a way to check if a place is a 51% Location!

Post by dicion »

I called TABC to report them, and the agent was very friendly, and said they would look into it :woohoo
He also confirmed that a FB certificate does mean that a location is not a licensed 51% location. (read that 3 times, it'll make sense, I promise)

He said, however, that if a business suddenly 'goes over' on their sales percentage, they may post a 51% sign to try to be 'in compliance', but that they also have to apply for a change/different permit if that is the case.
So either way, either they really started selling 51%, and their permit is incorrect, and will be forced to fix it, or they are not a 51% location, and they will be told to remove the sign :mrgreen:
I, personally, think it is the latter of the two.. but who knows :lol:

We all know why they really do it if they're not actually a 51% location, but I didn't want to open that can of worms with the agent on the phone :cool:
Last edited by dicion on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Purpletj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purpletj »

NICE. Thanks for the research.
3-7-09- CHL Course
3-9-09-Papers Mailed
3-16-09-Check Cashed
4-20-09-PIN Recd.
6-10-09- Application Completed!!!
06-13-09- Plastic in hand!!!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

This method was posted a couple of months ago by our resident TABC expert srothstein. The one caveat is that if they AREN'T listed with an FB license, there is no way to tell if they are 51% or not.

EDITED TO ADD: Here is the link to Steve's post Subject: Questionable carry: Bagpipes, Austin
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
dicion

Post by dicion »

Keith B wrote:This method was posted a couple of months ago by our resident TABC expert srothstein. The one caveat is that if they AREN'T listed with an FB license, there is no way to tell if they are 51% or not.
Very true. If they do not have a FB, that does not mean that they are or are not 51%, they could still be either one.
It's better then nothing though, and will hopefully help some people to 'out' places improperly posting them to the proper authorities. :mrgreen:

Didn't see the old thread, and a few have popped up in the past weeks wondering if there was a way to check. Figured it was relevant :mrgreen:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

dicion wrote:
Keith B wrote:This method was posted a couple of months ago by our resident TABC expert srothstein. The one caveat is that if they AREN'T listed with an FB license, there is no way to tell if they are 51% or not.
Very true. If they do not have a FB, that does not mean that they are or are not 51%, they could still be either one.
It's better then nothing though, and will hopefully help some people to 'out' places improperly posting them to the proper authorities. :mrgreen:

Didn't see the old thread, and a few have popped up in the past weeks wondering if there was a way to check. Figured it was relevant :mrgreen:
No, this is a very good post. Steve's post was kinda buried in the other thread, so this one brings it out and easier to find. Just be aware that lack of the FB doesn't mean they are a 51% venue.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

srothstein wrote:The only way to know for sure if a license is 51% or not is to actually look at the license. If it is, there will be a line saying "SIGN=RED". If it is not 51% the line will say "SIGN=BLUE". If you want to call TABC, most of the time you can get the information on the phone. Looking in the public inquiry system on our web site will give you a few hints. If it has an FB as a subordinate license, they cannot be 51%. This, as I pointed out earlier, is only conclusive the one way though.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

MBGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MBGuy »

Last week we had a vendor in the office that wanted to take us out for dinner before he flew out. My coworkers and I have heard that HOB is overhyped/overpriced, but that's where he wanted to go, so off we went. At the door I looked for either sign and saw none. On the way to our table we passed by the bar and I saw nothing. If it's there and I missed it, they sure aren't trying real hard to make it seen. From what I've heard and seen, they're operating more as a restaurant than a nightclub. Even the bar looks more like an afterthought than anything seen at Chili's, Outback, etc.

I'm only a few blocks from there so I'll go later and take a closer look and see if I can find the license to get a definitive answer.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

No 30.06 or 51% sign to be seen anywhere, and "SIGN=BLUE" on the license.

After walking around looking for any signs, I walked up to the bar and I could see the license, but it was on a clipboard on the right side wall behind the bar. I asked to see the license and the bartender didn't hesitate and brought it to me. This is the second time I've asked for a license, and both times there was no questions or even hesitations. I don't know if they're required to show it to anyone who asks, but if ever you'd like to see it, just ask.

They might be 51% at night 10PM to 2AM, while there's an actual band there, but they can't break it down that way (It's monthly receipts I think) and this place seems to be mostly a tourist trap and lunchtime restaurant.
Harry
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

MBGuy wrote:Last week we had a vendor in the office that wanted to take us out for dinner before he flew out. My coworkers and I have heard that HOB is overhyped/overpriced, but that's where he wanted to go, so off we went. At the door I looked for either sign and saw none. On the way to our table we passed by the bar and I saw nothing. If it's there and I missed it, they sure aren't trying real hard to make it seen. From what I've heard and seen, they're operating more as a restaurant than a nightclub. Even the bar looks more like an afterthought than anything seen at Chili's, Outback, etc.

I'm only a few blocks from there so I'll go later and take a closer look and see if I can find the license to get a definitive answer.
Well you have to remember there is the restaurant and then there is the bar/stage area. In Houston the restaurant is on the ground floor and the bar/stage area is three floors up.

I went to the House of Blues in Houston a few weeks ago on a Sunday to see Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen. I'm not sure what would equal more; their ticket sales or their drinks. I paid (and I am not kidding at all) $7 for one can of Shiner beer. I went a month or so before that and paid somewhere around $40 for two mixed drinks and a sprite for myself. The first time I got the mixed drinks I just didn't know. The second time when I went a few weeks ago I figured if it was Sunday the drinks would be cheaper... they weren't :grumble .

Anyway at their Houston location the 51% sign in the bar area is right when you walk in on the left.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

So I guess they have two licenses in one location? One with "SIGN=RED" upstairs and one with "SIGN=BLUE" downstairs?

I never saw a sign today. I came in the front door, looking on both sides, went back to the bar, the gift shop, then back to the bar to look at the license and never saw a sign. I'm assuming you're saying that they have a sign upstairs? I didn't go upstairs, so I would have missed that, but I still don't know if they can have two licenses for one address.
Harry
Sig P239-40

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

They only have one license listed in the database for House of Blues or that address (1204 Caroline St.) in Houston, so I would think it had to apply to the whole premise. I am not an expert, but think that is what our resident expert has said. Sounds like they just have a 51% sign posted improperly.
Keith

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

They only have one license listed in the database for House of Blues or that address (1204 Caroline St.) in Houston, so I would think it had to apply to the whole premise. I am not an expert, but think that is what our resident expert has said. Sounds like they just have a 51% sign posted improperly.
Keith

Topic author
dicion

Post by dicion »

Sorry, been away

Yes, the signs are upstairs. I was there last night, and they were there.

According to the TABC, they only have 1 license for the entire site as stated above, so that being the case, they are improperly posted for their current license.

Cajundude

Post by Cajundude »

Nice find, thanks for the link!
Registered online - received PIN around end of Dec.
Class Fri./Sat. 1-17/18-09
1/19/09 = MLK day. Doh! No USPS. UPS works!
1-19-09 Overnighted for inauguration day delivery
1-20-09 - Del. to DPS 9:30 a.m.
2-12-09 - Process App! - No delays as of 5/20/09
Completed - 6/5/09
Plastic in hand - 6/11/09

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”