Ammo Shortage

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TxDrifter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ammo Shortage

Post by TxDrifter »

Well, I stopped by the Wally World in Madisonville on the way to get some hay and was pleasantly surprised. The gentlemen at the sporting goods counter had just stocked his ammo and had 5, 100 round boxes of WWB .45 ACP. I asked how many he would let me have and I got all of them. I'm glad I checked as I was out.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

USA1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by USA1 »

TxDrifter wrote:Well, I stopped by the Wally World in Madisonville on the way to get some hay and was pleasantly surprised. The gentlemen at the sporting goods counter had just stocked his ammo and had 5, 100 round boxes of WWB .45 ACP. I asked how many he would let me have and I got all of them. I'm glad I checked as I was out.
right place right time
:coolgleamA:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Oldgringo »

:clapping: I stopped in the Smal-Mart in Gunnison, CO yesterday and, lo and behold, there were a dozen or so boxes of .223's, .380's, .357 Sig's, and .45 acp's on the shelf. In the time it took to go next door and get some vittles, the .380's were gone (I didn't need any). I did get a couple boxes (WWB) of .45's. The prices were the usual and the 6 box/customer/day sign was posted on the ammo cabinet.

BTW, the Super-Duper Wal-Mart in Security, CO (Ft. Carson) had nothing the preceeding two days. It was interesting to note that that this particular store had a lot of empty shelves where reloading components were stocked in better times.

Oh well, one of these days people are going to wake up and wonder what they are going to do with a closet full of ammo and a credit card bill that needs bailout.

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 11

Post by tfrazier »

Oldgringo wrote:...BTW, the Super-Duper Wal-Mart in Security, CO (Ft. Carson) had nothing the preceeding two days. It was interesting to note that that this particular store had a lot of empty shelves where reloading components were stocked in better times...
Reloading components at a WalMart? Never heard of such a thing! Wish ours carried such things.
Last edited by tfrazier on Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

tfrazier wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:...BTW, the Super-Duper Wal-Mart in Security, CO (Ft. Carson) had nothing the preceeding two days. It was interesting to note that that this particular store had a lot of empty shelves where reloading components were stocked in better times...
Reloading components at a WalMart? Never heard of such a thing!
Yepper, several empty shelves of primers and powder; however, there were plenty of dies in their respective place. BTW, the Wal-Mart in Lufkin has some shotgun reloading stuff. It apparently depends, to some extent, on the Department and Store Manager's interests AND their "stroke" with Bentonville.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

usa1 wrote:
TxDrifter wrote:Well, I stopped by the Wally World in Madisonville on the way to get some hay and was pleasantly surprised. The gentlemen at the sporting goods counter had just stocked his ammo and had 5, 100 round boxes of WWB .45 ACP. I asked how many he would let me have and I got all of them. I'm glad I checked as I was out.
right place right time

Exactly.

I've been checking our local WalMart the last few weeks for bulk .22 ammo, none to be had.

A couple of days ago while buying some spray paint...I thought I'd check for ammo (just for the heck of it).

Low and behold...a young man was stocking the display case with rifle ammo AND a couple of 550 packs of .22's.

I was able to get them both. :anamatedbanana

No centerfire pistol ammo of any type ...but at least I got my rimfire.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

USA1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by USA1 »

i've been hearing that people are having a little more luck lately , i know i just scored some .45acp when i was'nt really expecting to, maybe things are getting a liiiiiiittle bit better :?:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

usa1 wrote:i've been hearing that people are having a little more luck lately , i know i just scored some .45acp when i was'nt really expecting to, maybe things are getting a liiiiiiittle bit better :?:
I went to the Wally World on I-45 in Spring (better be carrying when you go in there) yesterday mid-morning, and there were 14 (100-ct) boxes of WWB .40S&W...nothing else except .22's. When I left the store, there were only 8 boxes let. I got my limit! I guess it depends on who you are dealing with as to the terms of the 6-limit rule, but I also got a bulk-pack of .22's, and the clerk didn't count that against the 6-limit rule.

BTW, the prices are still the same. I'm pleased to see that Walmart isn't price gouging like some of the gun stores I've visited lately. :clapping:

I'm gonna have some fun at the ranch this weekend! :woohoo
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

I bought a new J-frame revolver at the gun show this weekend. Now, I can't find any .38spl ammo. Went to two different Walmarts, and neither had a single box of any pistol or rifle ammo. Seems like there has got to be something more to this than just hoarding.

garcia946
Posts in topic: 3

Post by garcia946 »

Its about like that everywhere. Now Walmart limits how much you can buy , when and IF they have some
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

HGWC wrote:I bought a new J-frame revolver at the gun show this weekend. Now, I can't find any .38spl ammo. Went to two different Walmarts, and neither had a single box of any pistol or rifle ammo. Seems like there has got to be something more to this than just hoarding.
Wideners has Prvi Partizan 158gr LRN for $13.90/50. Ten boxes, shipped, cost me $151.

Excellent practice ammo.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|829|838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

Third Walmart, no ammo. This one had some 25 auto, and a couple of boxes of rifle ammo. Shotgun shells were available at all three, but almost no rifle or pistol ammo. It was bad a couple of months ago, last time I bought, but this doesn't look like it's getting better. I've seen a few comments like that. It looks much much worse now.

garcia946
Posts in topic: 3

Post by garcia946 »

any good websites to buy ammo theses days? :bigear:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

garcia946 wrote:any good websites to buy ammo theses days? :bigear:
Georgia Arms says they have bulk new & remanufactured, but that there may be a delay of up to 5 to 7 weeks to actually get it out the door. Their remanufactured is mostly from once-fired DOD brass, and has a decent reputation. I haven't used either that or thier new, but they seem to be one of the few places that is accepting orders right now.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I picked up a couple WWB's of 9mm yesterday at the Smal-Mart in Gunnison. A buddy got a couple of .40's, there were a couple boxes of .25's :eek6 on the shelves but no .22's or anything else.

Like someone said above, I think (hope) that demand may be falling off some.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”