Grapevine Mills Malls Posted valid 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Grapevine Mills Malls Posted valid 30.06

Post by Beiruty »

First visit to this mall, we wanted to have a dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe. As I approach the main entraince, a legal and Valid 30.06 on large Blue Plate is posted. It cost me a trip back to my car where I disarmed and left my firearm for the rest of the mall visit.

Now, thinking about it, if we did not have 6-adult party plus 6-kids, I would never been to that place. I can't imagine a mass murderer who is bent on producing a massacre how easy he will be able to inflict harm for the public. The place was packed with defenseless mass of crowd.

Update: April 23 2009.

As noted: the posted sign may not be 100% compliant to the new one in the latest law code. However, as noted, it refers to 30.06 and notifies the reader in both English and Spanish that they are not welcomed while legally carrying. The judge most probably in any test case would find the offender playing on a Law Technicalities issue and may side with Prosecutor/Proprieties Owners.
Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

HankB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gapevine Mills Malls Posted valid 30.06

Post by HankB »

Never been there myself, but I've read that no sign is visible if you enter the mall through one of the anchor stores . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Might want to look at this thread http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... ne#p271809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discussion there is that Grapevine may not be properly posted.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

DEADEYE1964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DEADEYE1964 »

Grapevine Mills Mall is properly posted with 30.06 signs at ALL main entrances. I do not know about individual stores entrances but ALL numbered main mall entrances are properly posted. I live nearby and have boycotted the mall for that reason. They have a lot of parking lot crime there and if I am not allowed to carry, I do not go.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Also, keep in mind that all entrances don't have to be posted. It just has to be posted in a conspicuous manner.
NRA lifetime member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

DEADEYE1964 wrote:Grapevine Mills Mall is properly posted with 30.06 signs at ALL main entrances. I do not know about individual stores entrances but ALL numbered main mall entrances are properly posted. I live nearby and have boycotted the mall for that reason. They have a lot of parking lot crime there and if I am not allowed to carry, I do not go.
They must have updated their signs from the old version. I refuse to shop there myself for that very reason.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If the Rainforrest Cafe has its own entrance and that entrance is not posted. I believe it would be legal to carry in that store. I know of know other Fertitta?/Landry property that 30.06 posted.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

DEADEYE1964

Post by DEADEYE1964 »

Keith B wrote:
DEADEYE1964 wrote:Grapevine Mills Mall is properly posted with 30.06 signs at ALL main entrances. I do not know about individual stores entrances but ALL numbered main mall entrances are properly posted. I live nearby and have boycotted the mall for that reason. They have a lot of parking lot crime there and if I am not allowed to carry, I do not go.
They must have updated their signs from the old version. I refuse to shop there myself for that very reason.
Keith, on the 30.06 site and the DPS site, it shows the letters have to be 1 inch, both in spanish and english and have the proper verbage and show the 30.06 statute number, The signs posted do meet all that criteria. What was the old version of a 30.06 sign or are you referring to just an improperly posted sign ? I was not aware of a new version of a 30.06 different from the one listed below.

The info below came from the website.

A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a CHL holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun. An example of a valid 30.06 sign can be found here. The sign must read exactly those words in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.06 sign. "Ghostbuster" signs, or signs with a red slash through a gun, are not considered valid 30.06 postings.

PROHIBITING HANDGUNS IN A BUSINESS
OR OTHER ENTITY
"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF
A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED
UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE
(CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A
CONCEALED HANDGUN."
"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR
PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL
SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE
PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO
UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Thanks,
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

We went there once some time ago. It was kinda' like going to the circus. I guess we no longer have any business there since the mall owners apparently want us disarmed and defenseless. Did I mention circus?

KFP

Post by KFP »

Russell - Are there any plans to make it possible for people to upload pictures of the signs to eliminate any confusion?
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

DEADEYE1964 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Keith, on the 30.06 site and the DPS site, it shows the letters have to be 1 inch, both in spanish and english and have the proper verbage and show the 30.06 statute number, The signs posted do meet all that criteria. What was the old version of a 30.06 sign or are you referring to just an improperly posted sign ? I was not aware of a new version of a 30.06 different from the one listed below.

A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a CHL holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun. An example of a valid 30.06 sign can be found here. The sign must read exactly those words in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.06 sign. "Ghostbuster" signs, or signs with a red slash through a gun, are not considered valid 30.06 postings.

OR OTHER ENTITY
CONCEALED HANDGUN."
UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Thanks,
I am not an expert on it, but prior to 30.06 being written to define the EXACT wording, size etc. of a sign to keep CHL's out, the law used trespass in 30.05 as the code to prohibit a CHL (I believe). Many locations posted a form of language that referred to 30.05 in some various forms. IIRC, the mall had been posted with some version of the 30.05 code on the signs. I was trying to find an image or post with a version of the previous language, but haven't found one. The old way the mall had been posted was valid prior to 30.06, but not once 30.06 had been put into law. HOWEVER, even though the old signs were still in place at Grapevine Mills and were not valid, we had been informed that the GPD felt they were valid notice and would arrest you if found carrying. Apparently they have now updated the signs to the current legal code, so that now is a moot point.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sss

Post by sss »

KFP wrote:Russell - Are there any plans to make it possible for people to upload pictures of the signs to eliminate any confusion?
+1

That would really be helpful.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

HankB

Post by HankB »

KC5AV wrote:Also, keep in mind that all entrances don't have to be posted. It just has to be posted in a conspicuous manner.
If it's not visible from a normal customer entrance, it would not appear to meet the normal meaning of "conspicuous."

Granted that walking past a clearly visible sign is a violation, but I don't see how a sign posted elsewhere, which is not visible from the entrance you use, can be applicable and binding.

If you have any information about someone being arrested, harassed, or otherwise becoming subject to legal action for not complying with a sign that clearly was not visible to them as they proceeded to enter a (partially) posted business in a normal manner, please tell us about it.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:
DEADEYE1964 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

OR OTHER ENTITY
CONCEALED HANDGUN."
UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Thanks,
I am not an expert on it, but prior to 30.06 being written to define the EXACT wording, size etc. of a sign to keep CHL's out, the law used trespass in 30.05 as the code to prohibit a CHL (I believe). Many locations posted a form of language that referred to 30.05 in some various forms. IIRC, the mall had been posted with some version of the 30.05 code on the signs. I was trying to find an image or post with a version of the previous language, but haven't found one. The old way the mall had been posted was valid prior to 30.06, but not once 30.06 had been put into law. HOWEVER, even though the old signs were still in place at Grapevine Mills and were not valid, we had been informed that the GPD felt they were valid notice and would arrest you if found carrying. Apparently they have now updated the signs to the current legal code, so that now is a moot point.
The last time I was there, several years ago, they had a correct 30.06 sign by the main entrance.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”