Question about Texas Gun Laws

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
russ
Posts in topic: 1

Question about Texas Gun Laws

Post by russ »

My Wife works in a very high crime area of Fort Worth (East Lancaster area) only a couple of blocks from this incident this morning.
STORE CLERK FATALLY STABBED IN ROBBERY
A store clerk was fatally stabbed during a robbery Tuesday morning at the Rapido Grocery store located at 3227 E. Lancaster, Fort Worth police said. A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt robbed the store at about 7 a.m. and then fled the scene in an unknown direction. Jasbahadur Rai, of Venus, Texas was transported to John Peter Smith Hospital where he later died.

I have been working on her to get her CHL for sometime now and this may have convinced her. Now correct me if i am wrong but for now till she gets her CHL from what i understand by the passing of HB 1850 she can carry her handgun in the car as long as it is concealed, and can also carry it too and from the house to the car. But what she would like to do is keep it in her desk at work also. Can she do this if her boss who is also the owner of the property gives her his blessing? If so can you give me a link to the law so i can print it out.

Stupid

Re: Question about Texas Gun Laws

Post by Stupid »

i'll let others comment
Last edited by Stupid on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

Penal Code Chapter 46.02: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

There's no "permission" that can be granted. You can only carry unlicensed on property you own or control (and in your car, concealed only). There are exceptions for sporting activities (such as hunting, gun range, etc), but unless you work at a gun shop or gun range, this will not apply to a work situation. If you are not in control of the premises (IE, you are THE person in authority at the time, your boss not present), you cannot carry a handgun unlicensed.

There have been a few threads on this topic, and they pretty much all have the applicable sections of the TPC outlined. Here is one:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... f=7&t=7705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also: here is another thread that discussed this. Go down to the 5th post on this page:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... k&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

More than one person can be in control of premises.

A husband and wife in their home, or joint owners of business property, have equal control. Either can allow someone to enter or order someone to leave. They can contradict each other, which has led to some interesting court cases.

The bottom line in my mind is that the police have no reason to investigate what a person is doing on private property unless there is a violation of the law in plain view or exigent circumstance such as someone screaming for help.

You have quite a bit of freedom on private property, as you should.

As usual, I am not a lawyer, and this should not be considered legal advice.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

russ wrote:My Wife works in a very high crime area of Fort Worth (East Lancaster area) only a couple of blocks from this incident this morning.
STORE CLERK FATALLY STABBED IN ROBBERY
A store clerk was fatally stabbed during a robbery Tuesday morning at the Rapido Grocery store located at 3227 E. Lancaster, Fort Worth police said. A man wearing a hooded sweatshirt robbed the store at about 7 a.m. and then fled the scene in an unknown direction. Jasbahadur Rai, of Venus, Texas was transported to John Peter Smith Hospital where he later died.

I have been working on her to get her CHL for sometime now and this may have convinced her. Now correct me if i am wrong but for now till she gets her CHL from what i understand by the passing of HB 1850 she can carry her handgun in the car as long as it is concealed, and can also carry it too and from the house to the car. But what she would like to do is keep it in her desk at work also. Can she do this if her boss who is also the owner of the property gives her his blessing? If so can you give me a link to the law so i can print it out.
Someone else will speak to the legalities. In the meantime, you can get her Pepper Spray to carry on her key chain, or wherever handy, as she goes to and from her ride. JUST DO IT - no discussion required.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”