CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Spare magazine orientation

Post by KBCraig »

This seems like a no-brainer to me. That is, I never even thought about it until I saw other people doing it differently.

So, here goes: how do you orient your spare magazines? By that, I mean, "which way do they face?"

I carry my spare mags on my weak side, bullets facing to the rear. It makes perfect sense to me to carry them that way. When I reach for a spare, my thumb falls along the spine. When I bring it up into position, I have a good grasp, and the magazine will be facing forward, ready to load.

I have seen other people carry spare mags "bullets forward", and I've even seen mag carriers molded that way. I don't get it. What kind of convolutions and contortions do you have to go through to get the mag oriented correctly for insertion?

Am I just the only one who carries "bullets backwards"?

Kevin

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I carry mine weak side, base pad up, bullets facing forward. My index finger of my left hand falls on the front edge of the mag when I grab it. Then with that finger pointing towards the guns magwell in a natural motion, the mag goes right in.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

HighVelocity wrote:I carry mine weak side, base pad up, bullets facing forward. My index finger of my left hand falls on the front edge of the mag when I grab it. Then with that finger pointing towards the guns magwell in a natural motion, the mag goes right in.
Me too.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

ElGato wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:I carry mine weak side, base pad up, bullets facing forward. My index finger of my left hand falls on the front edge of the mag when I grab it. Then with that finger pointing towards the guns magwell in a natural motion, the mag goes right in.
Me too.

Ditto.

My older Brother carries them the same as KBC described, and he can reload as fast and accurately as I can, it presents him no problem. It feels awkward to me, but works well for him.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

What HV said - - - same here. But, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. ;-)
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Weak side facing front. Index finger is the POINTER. As the mag enters mag well all fingers flatten out & w/ palm of hand seat mag FIRMLY. +1 Mojo. If it works on the street Don't change it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Okay, I see how you guys do it, and why it works for you. But it still seems to me that the thumb is a more natural pointer when pointing up into the mag well.

My method provides a more natural position when drawing from the mag holder, too. At least for me. Having tried it both ways, I find that if I try "bullets forward, index finger as pointer", I have to throw my elbow out to the side and cock my wrist.

I'm not trying to get anyone to change years of muscle memory, but if you're just starting out at this, try it both ways. From a firing stance, drop your support hand to your mag pouch, and see if my method doesn't feel more natural, with less wasted motion.

Kevin

No4Mk1

Post by No4Mk1 »

KBCraig,

As others have posted, if it works for you that's great, but I find it much more natural the way others have described. Also, as a point of information, the pistol trainers I have worked with have reccomended bullets-front and using the finger as a pointer to guide the magazine home.

YMMV! :grin:
The beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

KBCraig wrote:
I'm not trying to get anyone to change years of muscle memory, but if you're just starting out at this, try it both ways. From a firing stance, drop your support hand to your mag pouch, and see if my method doesn't feel more natural, with less wasted motion.

Kevin
It is not wasted motion, and it does not feel more natural. I have done it both ways. Try it in the dark WITH SNAP CAPS, no live ammo.

Every instruction I have received also teaches bullets forward.

But, like everyone says, if you works for you then that IS the best way.

Train hard.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I carried bullets backward until I started sooting IDPA, and then I tried the other way and have never gone back. I am way faster bullets forward, plus I feel that my grip on the mag is more secure.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I also carry bullets forward, but I have seen it done the other way.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

progun47

Post by progun47 »

I have always used the bullets forward, your index finger is a natural pointer so it places the mag to the mag well. I've never seen a porfecional instructor teach it any othe way. But if it works for you it's ok with me.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”