Jersey Village, Carjacking

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Jersey Village, Carjacking

Post by Purplehood »

fm2 wrote: Purplehood, Like LT said "having" your tool options on you is an excellent first step. They aren't talismans though, so getting them into play is more important. So, when considering "where" you have your tools, you need to think this through a little. If you choose a sub-optimal carry method, think about transitions. What to do to make space/get time to get your tools into action? There is a timing decision here that can cost you dearly.
If I am interpreting your response correctly, then I would submit that my carry is positioned optimally for in and out of car use. I wear it at about 4 o'clock on my belt under a long shirt.

My primary purpose in carrying is to be able to simply stop anyone that is threatening my life. I do not carry to win a shoot-out. If I cannot stop an attack with my current load, then hey, I tried.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

A slight thread drift--Absent a gun with attackers are in close proximity, the predicament this cop found herself in illustrates indirectly the distinct advantage of a fixed blade knife over a folder.

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gregthehand »

I know Holly and went to the Police Academy with her back in 2005. She is a quiet girl but a very good officer and good shot as well. I did use to give her and some other guys crap about carrying the Glock 9mm as a duty weapon though ;-) . I heard about this when it first happened and I'm glad it went well for her.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Glad she wasn't hurt. Remaining in a constant state of alert is difficult at best. :fire

"Sometimes makes me wish I was a female"

Dave, is this something we should know? :lol::

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fm2 »

casingpoint wrote:A slight thread drift--Absent a gun with attackers are in close proximity, the predicament this cop found herself in illustrates indirectly the distinct advantage of a fixed blade knife over a folder.
Good thoughts! The small fixed blade is an excellent option to have.

Purplehood, it looks like you've chosen a great carry position. Strong side hip carry has a lot to offer.

I am curious about this though, you stated "If I cannot stop an attack with my current load, then hey, I tried". If the attack was still on and your gun ran dry or malf'ed, would you transition to another tool or empty hands or quit?
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

srothstein wrote:I just wanted to point out one very important factor in this story that seems to have been missed. I noticed it being missed when I read the article in the magazine and no one here has commented on it yet (probably some one else thought of it but just did not comment).

The story happened to involve a police officer, and she got honored by her department. I really have no problem with any of that, but this shooting had nothing to do with law enforcement. The officer did a great job in defending herself, as an armed CITIZEN. She was a citizen who was in the wrong place (or mental state) at the wrong time. She survived because she was an armed citizen who could recognize the problem. She was lucky that she could fight back because she happened to be an officer.

This exact same scenario could happen to any other citizen in the country at any time. It is one of the best reasons I know of to allow citizens to carry. Look at the story and think of what YOU could have done in that case. This could very well have been you, or might be you with the next two car jackers.
:iagree:

It certainly does happen to many non-LEO folks. As I've told on this forum before, my mother was abducted in a similar fashion in the early 80s when I was a young child. Instead of a parking lot, she was on her way home from work, and was abducted under ruse of a rear-end accident by a single assailant. She was not armed, and was kidnapped (in her own car) at gunpoint, taken to a remote desert area, bound,raped, beaten, bludgeoned (with some sort of blunt object, I don't think they ever concluded what it was), and then finally shot in the head 6 times with a small .25 caliber pistol her assailant had stolen from the BG's mother (he was 17 at the time, IIRC). A kidnapping situation (especially for women) almost always ends up in a horrible death for the victim. This is one of the reasons I carry, and try to encourage those I love to do the same.

Many anti-gun people will try to use the tired old argument that having a gun makes it likely that your weapon will be used against you. I say that's hogwash. If someone is trying to abduct you, he has already made up his mind what he's going to do to you, and your own weapon may be the best fighting chance you have in escaping with your life. Had my mother been carrying a gun with her at the time of her abduction, it may or may not have made a difference. I don't see how it could have made the situation any worse, and it could have made the world of a difference. A gun in the hands of a citizen could have enabled myself and my siblings to grow up with a mother.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Broge5

Post by Broge5 »

Yikes!

I used to live in the apartments directly across Jones Rd. from the Jersey Village Golf Course. I wonder if this was the same place. It's been a few years, but there were only two complexes across from Jersey village when I was there in 2002.

Always carry!!!! :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”