Strangest Law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

asleepatthereel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Strangest Law

Post by asleepatthereel »

NcongruNt wrote:
smokindragon wrote:Get's me how each state has it's own laws, would be nice to get all states the same one day.
Be careful what you wish for...
And who you vote for.
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Furyataurus wrote::totap: So............how did you like carrying openly?
Duh, he's obviously making this up. We've already discussed this here, and it has been determined that there is no possiblity that open carry will result in anything other than a bloodbath as half the criminals sneak up behind him to take his gun and the other half shoot him on sight.

Or is it that the collective explosion of all the soccer moms' heads within 37.5 miles will set off a chain reaction that destroys the planet? I forget.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

NcongruNt wrote:
smokindragon wrote:Get's me how each state has it's own laws, would be nice to get all states the same one day.
Be careful what you wish for...

... because you just might get it!
Byron Dickens

nils

Post by nils »

Just a thought...if you were exposing your holster to the officer/public, wouldn't that be considered Open Carry if it wasn't concealed??? Does the entire gun need to be exposed....how much of it??? :headscratch
Sent Packet 7/27
DPS Received 8/11
Plastic in Hand 11/07/2008!!!!

Nils F.
Colt Defender
Springfield Armory Operator-Full Rail
Galco IWB Holster

Topic author
zach
Posts in topic: 3

Post by zach »

nils wrote:Just a thought...if you were exposing your holster to the officer/public, wouldn't that be considered Open Carry if it wasn't concealed??? Does the entire gun need to be exposed....how much of it??? :headscratch

That is what has been bothering me about the encounter since. I have talked to a few people, and although it would be technically open carry cause the bottom of my holster was sticking out, people generally don't know what it is. For the OC in gun free zones thing to work you usually have to OC openly enough that everyone knows for sure that you are an evil gun nut.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Wear a shirt announcing Open Carry, and watch out for old ladies...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

zach wrote:That is what has been bothering me about the encounter since. I have talked to a few people, and although it would be technically open carry cause the bottom of my holster was sticking out, ...
There have been cases in open-carry states where a police officer arrested someone for carrying concealed without a license, then testified in court that his probable cause for stopping the defendant was that he could see some part of the handgun. Judges have thrown out those cases on the basis that the handgun is not concealed if the officer can see any part of it.

This is only fair, as police can search and arrest on the basis of seeing any part of some contraband (like a bag of pot).

Of course, getting arrested and having to go to a hearing is no fun, especially when you are traveling away from home.

As I said, you were lucky that the law is what it is, and the officer was very reasonable about it.

- Jim

Furyataurus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Furyataurus »

I know I wouldn't have a problem with "open carrying" instead of concealed carry.

TEX

Post by TEX »

IF IT COULD BE SEEN, THEN IT WASN'T CONCEALED - WAS IT?
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

In Mississippi, open carry is technically protected by the state constitution, but the law says that a gun is concealed if "any portion" of it is covered. Meaning, if you carried it by dental floss tied through the trigger guard, it would be "concealed" by the strand of floss.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NcongruNt »

KBCraig wrote:In Mississippi, open carry is technically protected by the state constitution, but the law says that a gun is concealed if "any portion" of it is covered. Meaning, if you carried it by dental floss tied through the trigger guard, it would be "concealed" by the strand of floss.
I guess you'd have to carry it on a lanyard. :mrgreen:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”