Why fire double action?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Broge5
Posts in topic: 5

Why fire double action?

Post by Broge5 »

I read something in an earlier thread that I am curious about.

srothstein wrote: "My body reacted to decades of training and I cocked the hammer (S&W Model 65 revolver), then thought of the academy and them saying to always fire double action. I lowered the hammer and then squeezed off the round. And then I cocked the hammer and lowered it again getting ready for the second shot."

I am not a LEO, nor have I had any formal training. What is the reason for firing double action when there is a choice? I carrry a 1911. It has always been my thinking that I am more accurate with single action. Just curious. :headscratch

Broge5

pedalman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why fire double action?

Post by pedalman »

In the heat of battle, one may not have the luxury of cocking the hammer of a DA revolver before firing.

In my case, my pocket 38 Spl. has a bobbed hammer, so I have to fire it double-action.

I have no LEO training, but this is what comes to my mind.

stroo

Post by stroo »

If you are used to the DA trigger pull and then go to SA, you actually may not shoot as accurately. You may pull or push the trigger. Or so I have been told. That is why some folks prefer a DAO gun to a DA/SA gun.

Topic author
Broge5

Post by Broge5 »

Maybe I should rephrase my question. I agree totally about shooting the way you a accustomed and that one may not have time to cock the hammer.

My question pertains to the way srothstein cocked the hammer reflexively, but then remembering the training, lowered the hammer to fire double action. He did this not once but twice. It seems he had both the training and the time to go either way.

My curiosity is why the academy teaches or taught to fire double action. I assume that there is a reason for this. I just can't think of it.

Could it be that his particular weapon - S&W Model 65 revolver - requires cocking before before firing single or double action? This would account for the automatic action of cocking the hammer. EDIT - Now that I think about it, this doesn't make much sense.
Last edited by Broge5 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

Broge5 wrote:Maybe I should rephrase my question. I agree totally about shooting the way you a accustomed and that one may not have time to cock the hammer.

My question pertains to the way srothstein cocked the hammer reflexively, but then remembering the training, lowered the hammer to fire double action. He did this not once but twice. It seems he had both the training and the time to go either way.

My curiosity is why the academy teaches or taught to fire double action. I assume that there is a reason for this. I just can't think of it.
In the revolver era, police training emphasized firing double action only to stop officers from using the cocking of the hammer as a threat, and to reduce the number of negligent discharges that happened when this technique was used. Some departments allowed single action fire at the longer ranges (beyond 15 yards) during qualifications. From Steve's account of his incident, I suspect that his training included the use of both techniques.

Some departments prohibited their officers from ever firing single action, with others even going to the extent of modifying their service revolvers so the hammer could not be cocked by hand and the only way to discharge them was by a double action pull of the trigger. In this century, departments with this philosophy issue double action only autos.

Most of the revolver issues were actually caused by inadequate training in firearms basics. When departments transitioned to semiautomatic pistols in the late 80's and 90's, much better training programs were developed and implemented and the problem of negligent discharges from cocked weapons largely went away. Today a sizable number of agencies allow their officers to carry DA/SA or single action only pistols without an unacceptable number of adverse incidents.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I wasnt aware revolvers could recock themselves after the shot. Every one I have fired stays down upon firing. That should be interesting mechanically.

Topic author
Broge5

Post by Broge5 »

I am not aware of any revolvers automatically re-cocking either. I was actually referring to the way srothstein automatically (reflexively) recocked the hammer, and then lowered it again.

OK Excaliber, so the double action firing is more or less "old school" training given the weapons of the time, yet some agencies still adhere to it by issuing DA only weapons. That makes sense. I do see a DA firing being thought of as being necessarily more deliberate, where SA offers more room for AD. (at least for the newbie)

Actually, when choosing my first CHL weapon, I did choose a DA only for that reason, and it gave me as a newbie a little extra comfort. But later, ScubaSigGuy introduced me to the 1911 and I decided to change my attitude. :drool:

Thanks for the input.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Broge5 wrote:I am not aware of any revolvers automatically re-cocking either.
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Re ... odel_6.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley-Fos ... c_Revolver

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Broge5 wrote:I am not aware of any revolvers automatically re-cocking either. I was actually referring to the way srothstein automatically (reflexively) recocked the hammer, and then lowered it again.

OK Excaliber, so the double action firing is more or less "old school" training given the weapons of the time, yet some agencies still adhere to it by issuing DA only weapons. That makes sense. I do see a DA firing being thought of as being necessarily more deliberate, where SA offers more room for AD. (at least for the newbie)

Actually, when choosing my first CHL weapon, I did choose a DA only for that reason, and it gave me as a newbie a little extra comfort. But later, ScubaSigGuy introduced me to the 1911 and I decided to change my attitude. :drool:

Thanks for the input.
Double action is not just old school - it's also the fastest and most efficient way to operate a revolver at short to medium ranges (0 - 15 yards). It still works fine beyond that for a skilled shooter, but persons of lesser skill often find it easier to be accurate with single action fire for slow shots at the longer ranges. There's nothing inherently wrong with either technique, but DA is unquestionably faster and much more reliable under stress. A good DA man will give any SA guy a really good run for his money - for the first 5 or 6 rounds, anyway.

SA presents more opportunities for a ND only if the rules of gun safety are not obeyed. Most ND's with SA weapons occur because the finger was inside the trigger guard before the gun was on target and a decision had been made to fire. If the rules are obeyed, SA is just as safe as DA.

The thinking among some police brass has been that the heavier DA pull is safer if the trigger finger goes where it doesn't belong. To some extent this is true, but it's not nearly as true as many think. A person who is surprised (by a loud noise, loss of balance, etc,) will reflexively clench his hands with 25+ pounds of force. This is more than enough to fire any DA weapon commonly in use for law enforcement or self defense (DA pulls on these weapons generally range from around 5 to 12 pounds), and it is reflexive, meaning if the stimulus is present, the clench reaction will occur. This is one of the reasons modern firearms trainers teach students to place the finger alongside the frame above the triggerguard, instead of on the triggerguard itself, to prevent the trigger finger from entering the guard during a hand clench reflex reaction.

Reflexive hand clenching can also occur if the other hand is engaged in struggling with a suspect (parasympathetic response.) If the trigger finger is where it doesn't belong, even with a heavier trigger pull, there's still an excellent chance of an ND. Worse than that, the heavier the DA pull, the harder it is for a shooter to learn to fire multiple rounds accurately under the conditions of a life threatening encounter. This increases the chances of launching a projectile that lands someplace it wasn't intended to go, and that is as much or more of a liability problem than the risk of an ND with an SA weapon.

When I coach new shooters, I encourage them to start with a simple weapon like a Glock, Springfield XD, or a DA revolver until they become proficient and comfortable with weapon handling. In my opinion, an SA gun just presents too much risk because the vast majority of untrained folks will put their trigger finger inside the trigger guard as soon as they pick up a gun. The manual of arms of an SA pistol like a 1911 is also somewhat more complicated than with the guns I cited, and just adds complexity to an already fairly complex set of skills to be learned. That's not to say that no one can or should start out with a 1911 - it can certainly be done, but it just takes more effort and focus.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Broge5 wrote:My curiosity is why the academy teaches or taught to fire double action. I assume that there is a reason for this. I just can't think of it.
Double action firing for the revolver is taught for three main reasons:
1) Double action firing requires more force to pull the trigger, so an AD is less likely.
2) Especially under stress [and sweaty hands], decocking a revolver may result in an AD. Decocking is not necessary if the revolver is only fired double action.
3) When firing multiple rounds, double action is faster than single action.

I can shoot a revolver single action more accurately than double action. For example, if I was using a revolver for hunting at long distances, I would shoot it single action. In self defense situations, where time is critical, then double action is the way to go.
NRA Endowment Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

Wildbill hit the three reasons we were taught, and I was going to point out the second as the most important. Current police training theory is based on the assumption that you fight as you train so you should train as you fight. It is well known that under stress most people lose their fine motor skills, so police training is moving towards using gross motor skills as much as possible. Cocking and decocking the hammer is a fine motor skill that can diminish under stress. I had so many years of doing it that I had the muscle memory for it even under stress, but many officers would not.

One of the interesting proofs that double action was better with revolvers was shown during training and reloading. Way back in the day, we were required to carry spare ammo in belt loops. If you were under pressure and needed to get back into a fight, you could easily fumble the reload of six rounds and it could take too long. We were taught that one of the best ways to get back in was to grab two cartridges and drop them in the cylinder. The gun could then be fired. Close the cylinder and pull the trigger as needed until the rounds came up. This was quicker than trying to index the cylinder so the rounds were next up.

As a funny note, I had a trainee carrying a revolver as a back-up gun during my last academy class. He had the spare ammo in his pocket on a speed strip. No one had ever shown him the two round reload since most departments had gone to semi's for carry use. He was amazed at how fast you could get the gun back into action for a last minute shot that way.
Steve Rothstein

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

srothstein wrote:One of the interesting proofs that double action was better with revolvers was shown during training and reloading. Way back in the day, we were required to carry spare ammo in belt loops. If you were under pressure and needed to get back into a fight, you could easily fumble the reload of six rounds and it could take too long. We were taught that one of the best ways to get back in was to grab two cartridges and drop them in the cylinder. The gun could then be fired. Close the cylinder and pull the trigger as needed until the rounds came up. This was quicker than trying to index the cylinder so the rounds were next up.
Steve - Thanks for your input. I had never thought about reloading less than six rounds and not indexing the cylinder.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Broge5

Post by Broge5 »

Great input. I'm learning alot, but still have questions.

I put everything into perspective of "Me", and trying to envision my abilities with my own pistols/revolvers. I certainly am not as skilled or accurate with DA as with SA. Infact, I would not consider myself highly skilled at all, though I am a safety fanatic.

I have read that the DA is faster than SA. Now I cannot imagine myself shooting my DA pistol as fast as my 1911. (Especially after the first shot) Are we saying that when comparing apples to apples - DA revolvers vs. SA revolvers - DA is faster? I am guessing that we are assuming one must manually cock the SA revolver. What struck me as odd about the original post was that the LEO (srothstein) cocked the hammer, and then lowered the hammer, AND THEN fired. I can't imagine there being any argument that this is faster in any way, thus speed must not have been the reason for lowering the hammer to fire DA. Could it be accuracy or to lessen possible ND? This is what originally caused my question.

With my new understanding of speed vs accuracy vs potential for ND, I have a better feel for why the academy would teach to always fire DA, but I admit that when I put myself in the situation having already drawn, taken aim, and cocked the hammer, why would I take the extra time to lower it before shooting. Steve did mention that many officers would not have the muscle memory to cock the hammer the way he did, but now that makes me wonder why you developed that particular muscle memory, if your training is to always do the opposite.

I have neither the training nor the experience he has, so I fully understand I cannot totally put myself in his shoes. Plus, I have an average understanding of how the different types of weapons function.

I'm afraid I'm about to get flamed for sounding like an idiot or that in some way I am giving Steve a hard time. I surely am not. It's just how my brain works. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom to be gained here, and this inquiring mind just wants to know.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Broge5 wrote:I have read that the DA is faster than SA. Now I cannot imagine myself shooting my DA pistol as fast as my 1911. (Especially after the first shot) Are we saying that when comparing apples to apples - DA revolvers vs. SA revolvers - DA is faster? I am guessing that we are assuming one must manually cock the SA revolver. What struck me as odd about the original post was that the LEO (srothstein) cocked the hammer, and then lowered the hammer, AND THEN fired. I can't imagine there being any argument that this is faster in any way, thus speed must not have been the reason for lowering the hammer to fire DA. Could it be accuracy or to lessen possible ND? This is what originally caused my question.

With my new understanding of speed vs accuracy vs potential for ND, I have a better feel for why the academy would teach to always fire DA, but I admit that when I put myself in the situation having already drawn, taken aim, and cocked the hammer, why would I take the extra time to lower it before shooting. Steve did mention that many officers would not have the muscle memory to cock the hammer the way he did, but now that makes me wonder why you developed that particular muscle memory, if your training is to always do the opposite.
We are talking only about double action revolvers, and shooting them SA vs DA. Single action only revolvers are generally not the weapon of choice for concealed carry.

I can't speak for Mr. Rothstein, but I believe his example is an illustration of how one reverts to training during a stressful situation. If you instinctively cock the revolver while drawing from the holster, and then your training takes over that you must shoot DA, then you have to uncock the revolver before you fire. Of course this takes time and is not efficient and results in a slower time to shoot.

If you shoot a single action only revolver, then you must cock the hammer before every shot. If you practice enough with a SA only revolver, cocking the hammer before every shot becomes second nature. If you then switch to a DA revolver your muscle memory still wants to cock the hammer when you draw from the holster.
NRA Endowment Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

srothstein wrote:One of the interesting proofs that double action was better with revolvers was shown during training and reloading. Way back in the day, we were required to carry spare ammo in belt loops. If you were under pressure and needed to get back into a fight, you could easily fumble the reload of six rounds and it could take too long. We were taught that one of the best ways to get back in was to grab two cartridges and drop them in the cylinder. The gun could then be fired. Close the cylinder and pull the trigger as needed until the rounds came up. This was quicker than trying to index the cylinder so the rounds were next up.
In my agency we taught our folks to load and rotate the cylinder in the opposite direction that the cylinder rotated when the trigger was pulled. On the S&W guns we used, we loaded clockwise for the counterclockwise cylinder rotation. The reason for doing this was that as you placed rounds into the chamber, if you had to get back into the fight before a full reload, you would have live rounds come up right away. The advent of cylindrical style speedloaders made this unnecessary in most cases because full reloads could be done as fast as loading 2 rounds, but the principle still applies if you're replacing only fired cartridges with live ones still in some of the chambers.
Excaliber

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”