How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

The expiration is based on the issue date. And, if you want to know when that is, when you get your license, look at the series of numbers on the left side of the license next to your picture. Ignore the first 2 digits and the last 4. In the middle is your issue date. I.E., mine says: 01030620050844. It was issued on March 6,2005.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

Today is day 22 of my wait. I am hoping to receive my PIN soon, so I can start checking the status. I hate waiting. :sad:

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Welcome Barres.....you hate waiting, huh?? Don't we all but don't despair it's actually fun here in the waiting room :lol: :lol: !!! Try to meet new CHL holders and "chat for a little bit"..By the time you get your CHL you would gain some new friends on this excellent site!! Have fun, time goes faster that way. I used to check my status every morning but as I get closer to 60 days ( 48 days as of today) I just check it every Monday. I good time to practice your stlye/manner of concealed carry at home so you get used to it when your time comes to legally carry. See you around!!

sdmahr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sdmahr »

Well, today is day #62. Checked status this morning and "Processing Application" once again. I've been patient....and I know others have waited longer....but I called DPS anyway to make sure I wasn't in some kind of "processing loop".

The lady put me on hold and came back about 2 minutes later and said "Found it...I'll mail it in the morning". I was wondering: "What happened to it? Where was it? What if I hadn't called?". But, rather than get it stuck back in the pile I told her "thanks for checking---have a nice day".

So....now to the mailbox everyday with great expectations ! !
Packing...I refuse to be a VICTIM.

Flatland2D
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Flatland2D »

Reysc wrote:I used to check my status every morning but as I get closer to 60 days ( 48 days as of today) I just check it every Monday. I good time to practice your stlye/manner of concealed carry at home so you get used to it when your time comes to legally carry. See you around!!
I was the other way around. Checked my PIN once when I first got it to make sure I had it all figured out, then didn't check it again until day 40-something. Since then I've been checking it almost everyday now that I have hope it might be close to being done.

Now that I have my Smart Carry I've been trying to get used to carrying at home as much as possible. I'm really starting to feel comfortable with it and I'm worrying less about any unnatural buldges. Even in a light t-shirt and shorts I don't feel like there's anything that gives away my little secret. I can't wait to walk out beyond my door with it on!

Two more days till the big 6-0. I've been checking status online with more excitement each day and I'm looking forward to giving DPS a call on Thursday morning to make sure there's no problems.

We should start a list of silly things to do while waiting for your application to process... like memorizing your driver's license number. :lol:

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Sdmahr wrote;

The lady put me on hold and came back about 2 minutes later and said "Found it...I'll mail it in the morning". I was wondering: "What happened to it? Where was it? What if I hadn't called?". But, rather than get it stuck back in the pile I told her "thanks for checking---have a nice day".

That's scary.. FOUND IT huh!!!! We that's a nice info Sdmahr.. Thamks for sharing..

Hey, Flatland I also have a smart carry.. Got here last week and I really like it. I bought a Kangaroo holster too. Those too are great for concealment and for me, comfortable...
Have a good day ya'll...
ReySC

sdmahr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by sdmahr »

I also have the SmartCarry. Nice rig....but it takes a little getting used to. Down here its so HOT all the time its a good alternative. My Glock 19 fits in it well. I've been w/o my pistola for so long now I'll have to get used to it all over again !
Packing...I refuse to be a VICTIM.

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Day 93 and still counting

Post by jbenat »

Hey guys it's me again. Last Friday (03/31/06) I called DPS and as mentioned in previous posts, was told she had it approved and on her desk and it would be in the mail today (Friday). It's Wed. morning and no CHL in the mail, but, today's mail has not been delivered yet. They could have used Pony Express and gotten it here quicker. We mailed our aps. on 01/02/06 and they told me they received them on 01/03/06. That's admittedly very fast. They did say it would be 7 to 10 days but I figured that was a pat statement because it doesn't take 7 to 10 days to mail a letter (usually) and it would probably be here sooner.

Now for the kicker. I went to DPS web site to check status and, guess what? I'm still "Processing Application". I'm confused..... again! :???: If it doesn't arrive soon I'm going to sell all my guns and use the money to take a cruise!

I'll be stalking the mail man today. Maybe Today will be the big day?

I am also thinking about getting a kangaroo holster but what's a SmartCarry?
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Jbenat,

Selling the TOYS ???? Hey, let me cherry pick first before you put 'em up for sale!!! :lol: :lol: j/k...Take it easy and relax, I'm sure "it's in the mail".. Put your mind into conceal carry method and order your Kangaroo and smart carry http://www.smartcarry.com/ as I said I've got both and I might end up with a few more holster before I get my chl. It just takes your mind off the agonizing wait.. You are welcome to check mine up if you want. You can drop by my work place just off 635 and La Prada dr. just PM me if interested.I was at Target Master last Monday and shot 150 rounds on the beloved G26 did real good.. Have a good one jbenat and for goodness sake stop starring at your mail box!! :lol: :lol:
Later
ReySC

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

How is the Kangaroo holster working out? My biggest concern with them is that it'd take too long to draw since you'd have to lift up your whole shirt. It doesn't look like it could be done discretely like most holsters on the waist. It also looks a little uncomfortable, or at least takes some getting used to. I do think it's a fair price though. Smart Carry's are $50, and when I look at mine I just don't see $50 worth of materials and labor. I know they use the best materials they can, and their work is top notch, but they cost about twice what a good pair of jeans would go for. Supply and demand I guess. Even so, I'm really comfortable with mine and think it's going to be the best holster for my life and daily attire.

I'd still like to get an IWB holster that I could just clip on for the winter when I'd have more clothes as padding.

jbenat
Posts in topic: 29

Crazy people say crazy things!

Post by jbenat »

I have to plead temporary insanity when I said I would sell my toys. It's just the wait has got me a little crazy. And Reysc, your right I've got to stop staring at the mail box and blink occasionally.

I went to the SmartCarry site. It looks a little like the pager holster. My wife bought one of those for about $50.00 at a gun show. I've tried hers but it's hard to get out of my tight, kiss of the hops, waist band. The skinny, in shape, guy demonstating it made it look easy.

I've been trying slide holsters for my Bersa T380 & S & W Sigma. Bought them at http://www.sportsmansguide.com (Item # AX6A-76243 or AX6A-76244) for about $19.00 plus shipping charges. They work pretty good and it's easy to get your gun out and to put on & take off. It clips on and can be worn in or out of the waist band. Very simple device.

I think I will buy a Kangaroo holster pretty soon. Looks like it might work well with shorts & blousy sport shirt in hot weather. It would be a great carry holster if you are ever car jacked. If anyone has tried one, let me know what you think. There's a good article about the Kangaroo holster at http://www.gunblast.com by Jeff Quinn (sp.?).

There's also something out there called Thunder Wear. But that sounds a little gassy to me.

Gotta go check the mail box.
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I am pretty sure that SmartCarry = ThunderWear.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Thanks for the links,Jbenat!! Howler when you get your most awaited plastic!! Bet you it will be in this week!!

BTW, with fake buttons and velcro on my tucked in dress shirt and tie, I can draw smooth now with the Kangaroo. Just a question of practice and getting used to it. My wife cant help but laugh when she observes me praticing.. :lol: :lol: .. Now, drawing from the Smart Carry is a breeze if your belt/pants are not too tight. I like to wear my belt a little tight because I carry a radio ( heavier than my Ruger P-89) at work .. IIII might have to have a different set of wardrobe just for ccw!! This is getting expensive but it's been a long while since I've been like a little boy getting new toys!!
ReySC

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

How are you wearing your Kangaroo holster so that you can draw it with a tucked in shirt? I've always imagined it would go underneath all your clothing and you'd have to pull it up to do it. Is there a better way to wear it? Might be worth looking into getting one of those...

My goal is to be comfortable enough with my gun/holster that I won't need much if any change to my wardrobe. I can see the Smart Carry trapping a lot of heat against my body in the summer though. Just have to wait and see how it works out.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

Flatland2D wrote:How are you wearing your Kangaroo holster so that you can draw it with a tucked in shirt? I've always imagined it would go underneath all your clothing and you'd have to pull it up to do it. Is there a better way to wear it? Might be worth looking into getting one of those...

My goal is to be comfortable enough with my gun/holster that I won't need much if any change to my wardrobe. I can see the Smart Carry trapping a lot of heat against my body in the summer though. Just have to wait and see how it works out.
Ok Flatland....here goes!! Put on the Kangaroo holster.. Holster your gun. Put your dress shirt on ( long sleeves w/ tie, in my case).. Have your shirt modified so the buttons ( the first three counting from the top button) are sewn on a velcro then attach (sew) another velcro on the spot where the button should be on a regular shirt.. Now instead of buttoning/unbuttoning your dress shirt it's velcroed together and makes it a lot easier just to rip the shirt open and draw from your kangaroo holster...I'm I explaining this properly ?? Sorry if I'm not.. Might have to post pics....
Now, you don't have to do the "velcro rig" just be ready to unbutton your shirt before you can draw your gun and that takes a few seconds. It's very comfortable specially since I have a G26.. I don't even feel it and no printing.If you are wearing a polo type shirt/golf shirt.. The kangaroo would not work but here are a lot of holsters available for that kind of wardrobe..
Whew.. :roll: hope I did not confuse you!!
ReySC

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”