DKSuddeth
Posts in topic: 3

Open Carry

Post by DKSuddeth »

I'd like to see that here.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HighVelocity »

Even if it was commonplace I wouldn't carry open off my property. Concealment offers several advantages like nobody (including badguys) knowing you have a gun for one.
Secondly, I would not feel comfortable without some type of retention holster to keep somebody from snatching it and I don't like retention type holsters because my arthritis makes it really difficult and painful to draw with anything other than a straight upward pull.

my .02

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

It'd be nice if only so people wouldn't be paranoid (or harassed) about accidental printing or an occasional unintentional "flash"
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I see common place open carry as a nice long term win. It allows the general public to get used to the average joe carrying a firearm. That makes everyone more familiar with them and more comfortable around them. Then everyone doesn't freak out when they see one, and don't automatically blame the gun if something goes wrong because they probably saw a dozen others THAT DAY that didn't cause any problems.

But from a pure SD aspect, I do like the advantages of concealed.

Topic author
DKSuddeth

Post by DKSuddeth »

imo, people make too big of an issue over concealed advantage (open meaning you're the first target). Each have advantages and I don't believe that either have any disadvantages. If open carry were even somewhat popular enough that you could see one or two in a crowd any bad guy may consider one open carry the first target but could certainly change his mind on two.

I remember being in New Mexico and seeing someone open carry for the first time. I was working in best buy and this customer was getting his purchases secured. I looked and saw this HUGE revolver, the kind you see from the wild west days I remember thinking 'open carry is legal in new mexico? way frickin cool. bought me a gun the next week. ;-)

longtooth
Posts in topic: 10

Post by longtooth »

I am with you DK. I think open carry is a deterrent. At least until the one w/ the weapon is gone. Same as the presence of a LEO.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I'm not saying I am against it. I am just saying it's not for me. I'd just be too paranoid about weapon retention.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

+1 for the element of surprise. I do not want to be singled out and shot first. At least concealment gives you a chance to draw and equal the score :razz: :razz:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

I've made this point before. I don't remember if I've made it here, so forgive me if you've heard this.

I'm not sure that open carry amounts to a big "shoot me first" emblem, despite what the detractors say. Criminals often aren't thinking clearly, are frequently impaired, and are seldom blessed with an excess of brains.

There have been several times that we have seen security video where someone attempts to rob a store, and a uniformed cop is standing right there at the counter!

I've never been in a gun store where the employees weren't openly carrying. I've never been in a convenience or jewelry store where they were. Guess which gets robbed more, and where more employees get shot, armed or otherwise?

Kevin

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

KB,
I can't say that I completely agree with you about criminals not thinking clearly. I admit that they are not always intelligent....but for the most part they are very determined.
Like others have said.....I am not against open carry, but I would never do it unless I am on my property in the country in which it would not draw attention to myself.
One thing that I feel open carry would definitely attract is people complaining about guns! The people that complain can vote.... out of sight, out of mind. Just my thoughts!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

jbirds1210 wrote:KB,
I can't say that I completely agree with you about criminals not thinking clearly. I admit that they are not always intelligent....but for the most part they are very determined.
That's exactly what I mean about not thinking clearly: they're determined, but seldom think things through.

If they would think things through a little more carefully, they wouldn't get caught, and I'd be out of a job.

I know some extremely intelligent criminals, but greed, impairment, or simple arrogance caused them to not think clearly. That's how I've come to know them. ;-)

No one can say that Dan Morales is not an intelligent man, but he's mopping the main corridor at FCI Texarkana.

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I have to agree with others here. I'd like the option, but doubt if I would ever open carry. Why advertise? Criminals hate surprises.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

As I am well documented to support the option to choose to carry openly or not...

I think most here who would, will make the appropriate adjustments to the holstering and retention requirements to do so within their comfort zone...

I believe the biggest hurdle for most folks (non-firearm public) to get over is the fact that most people who will carry openly, will have to be the reaction some may have when they see the "gun" and no badge...And thats not saying I support some viewable "credentials" to counter that issue...That would be totally un-necessary...

Other states do this, and some do it better than others...I believe Texas could find a nice balance to the argument, and trust its citizens to display the proper maturity and discipline to encourage that trust...

I see detectives all the time, and they dress just like me...

I just think some people will need to accept it...

Of course when it happens, the same ole arguments will come up from the anti-side of the aisle...Which they tend to demonstrate a rather effective "immature" argument to the debate...

I just wish we'd hurry up and get the whole issue resolved and implement this option...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
DKSuddeth

Post by DKSuddeth »

thats going to be a problem, but it is their problem, not ours. The 'anti's' need to wake up and realize that its not the tool, it's how its used.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

To bring this back to life...as opposed to start a new thread with my random comment....

I would really like to be able to carry via a tactical thigh holster. This could only happen via open carry...but it would be so nice to carry a duty size weapon in a comfortable/out of the way place...thats readily accesible.

I don't care about the "shoot me first" arguments...I think it would be great to be able to do so.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”