TX Resident + military + moving

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JohnnyK
Posts in topic: 3

TX Resident + military + moving

Post by JohnnyK »

First, thanks to all who contribute to make this an awesome resource.

I am in the military and have been a TX resident since 1988. I have been lucky to have been reassigned back to TX last year and got my CHL this last go around.

When the Army reassigns me at the end of this tour, what happens to my CHL? Specifically - my drivers license is good and I am not reqd to change my address but for my CHL am I reqd to change my address on my move as the regs say and what happens to the status of my CHL as far as resident/nonresident. I am truly hoping I do not have to change it to nonres status. Only reason I would not be in TX would be a result of orders moving me but I would still be a resident.

I used search and could not find anything however it seems this would be a common occurence type item for our mil folks.

Thanks for the help and to all those that contribute to the "goodness" of this site.

John

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX Resident + military + moving

Post by Kalrog »

I don't think this has been covered recently...

If you are still a resident of the state. Your DL still says Texas, and your voter's registration still says TX then I think you would just leave your CHL the same. Obviously you couldn't carry with it if you were somewhere that didn't have reciprocity, but that is the way it is now.

Topic author
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping that was the case and I could just let everything be.

Of course, I could just pick up the phone and call Austin!....... :???:

tbranch

Post by tbranch »

JohnnyK wrote:When the Army reassigns me at the end of this tour, what happens to my CHL? Specifically - my drivers license is good and I am not reqd to change my address but for my CHL am I reqd to change my address on my move as the regs say and what happens to the status of my CHL as far as resident/nonresident.
Interesting question. I'm guessing Texas is your state of legal residence. Will you maintain a good address in Texas? If so, I would think you could leave it alone. If not, you could probably get away with it since the DL and CHL will match. Renewing it may be interesting since you have to list all the places you're lived for the background check and this will not match their records.

While I was on active duty, I would apply for a CHL in each new state when I did a PCS move.

Tom

Topic author
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

TX is my legal state of residence and will remain so with a move.

I will NOT maintain the residence on my license but since I dont have to get a new drivers license the CHL and DL would match.

Renewal will be a problem but not one I have to yet worry about.....

Yes - guess I could chase a CHL at new state as you typically get resident benfits by being stationed there.

Once again, thanks for all the insight and thoughts.

John

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime »

JohnnyK wrote:TX is my legal state of residence and will remain so with a move.

I will NOT maintain the residence on my license but since I dont have to get a new drivers license the CHL and DL would match.
I believe you will have to change address on your DL and CHL to another Texas address for notification purposes. At least that is my understanding from a friend in the military stationed in Germany, but maintains voters regristration and Texas Drivers license. He tried to use a Post Office Box and was informed he needed a Texas Residence address to use, in order to claim Texas as his home while stationed away in the military.

If you have an interest in Civil War History I recommend you check out:

http://www.pearcecollections.us/civilwar.php

ELB

Post by ELB »

Just thinking out loud...

I would contact the DPS CHL section (DPS at 1-800-224-5744 or email at chl@txdps.state.tx.us).

Maybe also ask your post's JAG. (I suspect low probability of success there for the CHL question, but you never know. Just costs the time for a phone call).

I kept my mom's Indiana address for the first 17 years of my career -- until I got to Texas and finally bought a house. Never thought about what I would have done if I hadn't had mom's address. hmmmm.

If you are really good pals with someone who is going to be here permanently, perhaps you can use their residential address.

Most expensive option, but may have some tax bennies...buy a house, or at least a small plot of land!

Good luck.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”