Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barres »

I haven't actually voted, yet, but it is the overall cost that has kept me from getting mine, so far. (Class fees plus license fees.)

It seems that every time I have about the right amount of money in my hands, something breaks (the car, the home A/C, the car, the fence blows over, the car, etc.).

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

Primary reason I do not have my CHL is the work staff in Austin.

I can't believe I still haven't gotten it back! Arrrgggggghhhhh :mad:

yardsale
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yardsale »

I registered just so i could reply to this thread

Several reasons that I do not have a CHL

1 It is hard to justify they cost when a part of my brain still tells me that it is paranoid to carry a weapon with me everywhere

2 My wife is somewhat uncomfortable with guns. She's getting better about it, and she supports me in whatever I choose.

3 I only recently purchased another pistol after several years without.

That said, I can see the utility in having a weapon available for use. I take care of a rent house in the "bad" part of town, over there working I carry, and the neighbors tell me they have seen people walking around inside.

Also, my wife has made arrangements for me to take the class if I want to.

I guess it is difficult to spend the time effort and money on something that a part of me says is paranoid, because once you have one, it would be dumb not to carry since the time you don't is sure to be the time you have to have it...

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

yardsale wrote:I registered just so i could reply to this thread

Several reasons that I do not have a CHL

1 It is hard to justify they cost when a part of my brain still tells me that it is paranoid to carry a weapon with me everywhere

2 My wife is somewhat uncomfortable with guns. She's getting better about it, and she supports me in whatever I choose.

3 I only recently purchased another pistol after several years without.

That said, I can see the utility in having a weapon available for use. I take care of a rent house in the "bad" part of town, over there working I carry, and the neighbors tell me they have seen people walking around inside.

Also, my wife has made arrangements for me to take the class if I want to.

I guess it is difficult to spend the time effort and money on something that a part of me says is paranoid, because once you have one, it would be dumb not to carry since the time you don't is sure to be the time you have to have it...

Y-S,

Welcome to the forum.

Only you, can determine if your lifestyle might benefit from an added layer of protection. It seems you have at least contemplated it.

The "cost" of obtaining a CHL is really quite reasonable. Anyone of normal means can manage to save up the cost of the fees. The "time" involved to obtain the proper paper work... and go through the course is hardly "grievous" either.

What you are really asking is: What is the probability that I will ever need a firearm to defend myself, my wife, or property. I can't answer that, but will offer this instead: "Paranoid/Paranoia" is basically an excessive fear or concern about ones own well being, while "preparedness" is an action taken in anticipation of something that might reasonably occur under a certain set of circumstances.

Apply the above for yourself, and the problem will be self correcting.

If you are "teetering" about the decision, no one here is going to help "push you over the edge", it is much too personal a decision.

Good luck to you.

Flint.

yardsale
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yardsale »

I realize that my argument is circular-

I shouldn't get one because if I do then I should carry all the time because the time that I dont have it is the time that I will need it. But if I don't get one, then there is no chance that I will have it when/if I need it.
So, I should get one, but that means I'd have to carry all the time in order to be prepared. Is that paranoid? then I shouldn't get one... etc, etc.

It's kind of funny.

I will probably end up getting the CHL simply because it cannot compromise my safety. It just gives me the option to carry as I see fit.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

yardsale wrote: I will probably end up getting the CHL simply because it cannot compromise my safety. It just gives me the option to carry as I see fit.

Yup,

Carry if you want to, and don't if you do not.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks for posting.

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

If you time it right you can stretch the initial license to 5 years.... This would stretch out the 10hrs you had to spend.

I actually took my CHL at "LocknLoad" in Tyler. You may recognize this on because of the guy who shot up the Smith County Courthouse a while back.

I think the 10 hrs were well spent. I picked up several things that I didnt know. Also we had 2 instructors that mixed it up which made it interesting. Also, a good tip is to take the class with someone that you know... That seems to make the time go by faster. I had 3 others take the class with me that I knew. Overall it was very enjoyable.

Daniel

jbenat

Thought it was hard to get.

Post by jbenat »

Just this year I have finally started processing my CHL. My wife & I went to a gun show that happened to be convient & talked to someone there offering the training course. I already owned several guns & we went to the range occasionally to practice. For some reason I thought it was very expensive and a lot of trouble getting a CHL and that you had to prove you had a good reason to carry a gun. I had no idea how inexpensive it was or how to go about it. Since I am over 60 and my child bride was 59 ( I know, I robbed the cradle ) the cost was only $70.00 for me and since her birthday was in a few weeks we went ahead and signed up for the training. That was in Dec. 2005. I waited for her birthday so her cost would only be $70.00 also to send both our applications in to DPS thinking that we would get our CHL's back at approximately the same time. Big mistake. She got hers back in about 54 days and I'm still processing at 72 days. But, I've been whining about that in another part of this forum.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

DPS needs to apply the reduced fee to renewal as well for Srs. Renewal is reduced for most applicants that receive a reduction on the initial fee but for some reason that does not hold true for seniors.

Dave B.

nitrogen

Answering for my fianceé

Post by nitrogen »

My fianceé is a teacher. Her reason is silly, and I think it's masking another reason that I can't figure out.

She feels it'd be a "bad idea" for her as a teacher to have one. She thinks it'd hurt her career if anyone ever found out.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

BrettFord

Post by BrettFord »

I can not say how happy I am this poll is here.
I have read through all of the posts and did not see anyone with my reason for not having their CHL posted.
I am sure I am not the only one in this position; I am just dumb enough to admit it.

I can not get my CHL because of a defaulted student loan about 20 years old.
I know, before it is said, I should pay my debt. I understand and agree, however, please give me the benefit of a doubt here. This loan was a mess 20 years ago when it was a $5,000 loan and is a big mess now worth nearly $40,000.

Knowing the student loan was out there somewhere, I called the toll free number listed on the on-line application for my CHL. Sure enough the loan is still considered in default and although it was a federal loan, the state has it on their records, therefore NO CHL.

Without arguing the validity of my old debt, I wonder why this is on the qualification criteria for the Texas CHL?
I have no record, not even misdemeanors; and can pass a background check to purchase a weapon, so there are no other problems.
Actually in spite of this old debt my credit rating is high, so it can’t be said my credit is bad, but even if it was, why would a persons past credit problems affect his competency in holding a CHL? There are a lot of folks out there with bad credit that have CHL’s.

I have discussed this on other forums only to be labeled a dead beat for not paying my debt, and I risk this here, because I hope someone may have the answer as to how the qualification criteria was developed and what our legislators had in mind with this point of qualification.

Ok now the cat is out of the bag. I understand the only options for my obtaining a CHL are.
1. Pay the debt, or at least pay on it to get it out of default.
2. Change the law.

Options 1 is obviously what I will have to do, however, I am curious if option 2 is even a possibility and if so how could it be done?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Crossfire »

Brett -

You cannot get a Texas CHL if you owe any money to the state. That includes student loans, tax payments, and child support collected by the attorney general's office. They WANT their money.

Your options are:
1. Contact the responsible loan agency and see what you can do about getting some of that interest reduced, and set up a repayment schedule. Once you are in a repayment agreement, you are eligible for the CHL.

2. Contact an attorney if the loan agency won't work with you, to find out what your options are.

3. Apply for a Florida non-resident CHL. This gets you all the states Texas gets you, and they don't care about your student loans.

erik.mignault

TX CHL

Post by erik.mignault »

I moved here about a year ago and have my FL and PA both are reciprocal with TX. I have every intention of getting my TX CHL but almost $300 with the class and the license fee is pretty steep. So far the money is the only thing holding me back especially when I think about how PA is only $20 for 5 years and allows me to carry legally in TX.

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

I've got a "situation" that I wish someone could explain to me. Before Texas passed it's CHL laws. I had always carried a handgun while in travel (basically always). After our CHL laws were passed, I held off because the closest place to take the course was about 60 miles away. A friend of mine received his instructor's certificate and my Brother-In-Law was going to go with his twin brother and they were going to get their CHL's. At the last minute, his twin backed out and my B-Law asked me if I would like to take that spot in the class (class size was limited). I agreed and we took the course. We both passed with flying colors and I went through with the rest of the requirements, then finally received my CHL. My Brother-In-Law never took the final steps to get his. It's not a matter of money, believe me he has it. Nor is it a matter of time-he has that also. I have had my CHL for 1.5-2 years, yet he was the one who was anxious to take the course. As a matter of fact,He was asking me about 1911's, prices, features, etc. just the other day. Also, he has a wife (my sister) and two young daughters and he is aware of the dangers out in the world. I am just wondering if someone could offer a clue as to why someone would go through all of that and just not mail in the paperwork? He won't say what the reason is, just that he didn't.
On another note, I don't believe it is because he thinks like my wife. I am trying to get my wife to get her CHL, but she is one of those who thinks that it will never happen to her. Hopefully, she will see the need for it before she actually has the need for it and it is too late.
Rodney

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

rodnocker1 wrote: I am just wondering if someone could offer a clue as to why someone would go through all of that and just not mail in the paperwork? .
Rodney,

If you ever figure it out...let me know.

A few years ago I trained 5 people to take their CHL course. All five came faithfully to each practice session. We had a good time, and soon everyone was ready. All five went to the class I scheduled with B. Gibson. All five aced the written test and all easily passed the proficiency test.

Only two of the five went on to mail off their packets and receive their CHL's. All five could afford the fee many times over and never feel it, so that was not the problem. I didn't press anyone for answers, but like you, I just don't get it. Somewhere along the line three of them had a change of heart...but perhaps its for the best.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”