concealed in a vehicle

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

milkcartonkid
Posts in topic: 3

Re: concealed in a vehicle

Post by milkcartonkid »

ok..i am more confused now than ever. is it not ok to have it concealed under my leg or perhaps behind my back? do i have to put it in the glove box? Sorry i am such a noob, i just thought i had it figured out.
SSgt Rogers, John
7 SFS, Dyess AFB, TX

So you may sleep peacefully in your bed...
I have brothers and sisters that are in Harm's Way. You are Welcome.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This is a new law. It has not been tested. I can pretty much guarantee that if a police officer asks you to get out of the vehicle and then sees a handgun that you were sitting on, you are going to get a ride and your vehicle is going to be towed, impounded, and searched.

I would suggest in the glove box, in the cosole, in the seat-back pocket, under the seat, or in some kind of container.

- Jim

milkcartonkid

Post by milkcartonkid »

thank you sir. clarification appreciated.
SSgt Rogers, John
7 SFS, Dyess AFB, TX

So you may sleep peacefully in your bed...
I have brothers and sisters that are in Harm's Way. You are Welcome.

kdom
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kdom »

Like the OP, I've been thinking about this. I was considering one of the under dash arrangements (like in the first pic on Molon-labe's post, but maybe more under the steering column for better "concealment") - is this legally considered concealed if it's not visible from outside the vehicle w/ the doors closed? The other concern would be my truck sits pretty high, so it might be readily visible to someone outside the truck with the door open. I've got a lock box in the console for when the vehicle is left unattended, so am not so much worried about being spied by an anti in a parking lot, more concerned about if pulled over and told to exit the truck for some reason and LEO see's it at that point... Any thoughts?

THanks!
KD

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

kdom wrote:Like the OP, I've been thinking about this. I was considering one of the under dash arrangements (like in the first pic on Molon-labe's post, but maybe more under the steering column for better "concealment") - is this legally considered concealed if it's not visible from outside the vehicle w/ the doors closed? The other concern would be my truck sits pretty high, so it might be readily visible to someone outside the truck with the door open. I've got a lock box in the console for when the vehicle is left unattended, so am not so much worried about being spied by an anti in a parking lot, more concerned about if pulled over and told to exit the truck for some reason and LEO see's it at that point... Any thoughts?

THanks!
KD
Yes. Why push the envelope? Conceal the gun so someone can't see it and be done with it.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I agree. Why push the envelope? Make the thing hidden and hidden good. Make sure it's secure, too; you wouldn't want a handgun flying around the inside of your car in the event of wreck.
Byron Dickens

kdom

Post by kdom »

Why push the envelope? Well, there are a couple of reasons.

1) I was the target of an attempted car jacking years ago, so I know first hand how quickly things can go "south" on you, even with good situational awareness. (Yes, I was armed and saw them coming from their very first move, and yes, presenting my weapon stopped the BG's in their tracks...)
2) With the C-O-M lock box in the consol, there's not enough room for the gun and the box, unless the gun is IN the box. The time it takes to open the consol, then open the COM box (even with it already unlocked), and to retrieve the gun is too long - if it had taken me that long when my incident happened, statement 1) would have included the word "victim" rather than the word "attempted"...

Ideally, I want the gun accessable quickly to either hand, without having to significantly alter my position in the vehicle - I want to be able to keep watching whatever is making me retrieve the gun. (ie, no turning to reach behind the seat, no climbing across for the glove compartment etc.) I'm thinking maybe something like the underdash holster mounted under the steering column , but fitted with a color matched cloth "cover" to would be the best set up - quick to access, but not a something that will stand out to the casual observer looking through an open door. This would also be technically concealed, unlike an uncovered holster.

-KD

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

fiftycal wrote:Put the gun in one of these and then loop the seat belt thru the carrying handle. Some :woohoo cut me off the other day and I had to go to 100% brake. Pistol stayed right where it was. Another nice thing is that you can undo the seat belt and carry the pack around or strap it onto your belt.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51
Is that a Hi-Power that lady is packing in those photos? Bonus points to these guys from me! This does look like a meaningful solution for carrying while driving, though I think I'd probably only use it for longer trips. My guess is that you're also more likely to be disarmed during a stop once you inform the officer where you're carrying.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

kdom wrote:Why push the envelope? Well, there are a couple of reasons.

1) I was the target of an attempted car jacking years ago, so I know first hand how quickly things can go "south" on you, even with good situational awareness. (Yes, I was armed and saw them coming from their very first move, and yes, presenting my weapon stopped the BG's in their tracks...)
2) With the C-O-M lock box in the console, there's not enough room for the gun and the box, unless the gun is IN the box. The time it takes to open the console, then open the COM box (even with it already unlocked), and to retrieve the gun is too long - if it had taken me that long when my incident happened, statement 1) would have included the word "victim" rather than the word "attempted"...

Ideally, I want the gun accessible quickly to either hand, without having to significantly alter my position in the vehicle - I want to be able to keep watching whatever is making me retrieve the gun. (ie, no turning to reach behind the seat, no climbing across for the glove compartment etc.) I'm thinking maybe something like the underdash holster mounted under the steering column , but fitted with a color matched cloth "cover" to would be the best set up - quick to access, but not a something that will stand out to the casual observer looking through an open door. This would also be technically concealed, unlike an uncovered holster.

-KD
This is why I carry on my person when driving. I use a high-ride, canted OWB holster with a cover garment (untucked work shirt), and haven't found a car yet that makes my gun inaccessible while seated and the safety belt fastened. For the times when I am traveling in my car somewhere that I cannot carry (such as a school) and will not have a discreet place to disarm, I move my gun to the front pocket of my backpack (which travels pretty much everywhere with me) before I go and place it on the seat next to me, with the pocket closed (concealing the gun) but unzipped (so that it is immediately accessible). Once I arrive, I zip up the pocket and place the backpack in the trunk (which cannot be opened from the inside of the car - only with a key) and proceed on foot to my destination. Traveling to these same places in my van is less of an issue, as the sheer size and height of the vehicle, as well as the window tinting and curtains make disarming (which includes taking off my belt to remove the mag carrier and holster) very easy to do discreetly before exiting. I have a GunVault safe bolted underneath the driver's seat in the van for storage.

I am not a big fan of console carry, as there are multiple steps required to draw from this option, which may make a considerable difference in deploy time in an emergency.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I got one of those cheap Uncle Mikes holsters with the mag pouch from Academy. Then I went over to camping and got a 1" wide nylon strap. I looped the strap around the bottom part of the seat and inbetween the top half where it pivots and the bottom half that you sit on. I then ran the strap through the holsers little pouch area that the thumb break slides into and out the bottom. then I just buckled the strap (it comes with a plastic buckle like you see on backpacks). Next I got a dark gray towel (it goes with my interior, any color is fine) and draped it over the seat and left some room where I could just barely cover the top of the holster, and then on up the part my back rests against. I secured it in the back using elastic bed sheet keepers (Wal-Mart or Target has them in black). A micro-fiber beach towel works best. Now when i get in my truck and I'm going to make a longer drive (45 mins plus) I take my pistol out of my IWB holster and slip it in the holster on the seat. I stick the IWB holster in my center console if it's a REALLY long drive (like the one I make 3-4 times a week from Port Fourchon to College Station. 7 HRS :grumble ). This way my full-size pistol is easily accesible, it's very comfortable, and if I need to get out or say I get pulled over I untuck the towel from behind the holster and drape it over the top; it's now concealed. Oh by the way......

Holster: $15-$20
Strap: $3-$5
Towel: $5-$12 (go for the nice soft ones)

So a grand total of under $30. Oh by the way if the holster wants to slide down just wrap the strap around a frame support of the seat and it will keep in from sliding.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Greg,

You fogot part of the equation. I fixed it for you.
gregthehand wrote:
Holster: $15-$20
Strap: $3-$5
Towel: $5-$12 (go for the nice soft ones)
Having piece of mind knowing you are armed and you can defend yourself and your family: Priceless
:coolgleamA:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CHLSteve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHLSteve »

I tuck mine in the door panel, or under my right leg. If I were to get pulled over, the gun would quickly (and discreetly) go into my center console before my vehicle came to a stop. It is 100% concealed in there, but it isn't the fastest place to get a draw.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

CHLSteve wrote:I tuck mine in the door panel, or under my right leg. If I were to get pulled over, the gun would quickly (and discreetly) go into my center console before my vehicle came to a stop. It is 100% concealed in there, but it isn't the fastest place to get a draw.
I wouldn't be keeping a gun in the car in some place where I had to mess around with it, "discretely" or otherwise, in the event of a traffic stop. All you need is for the cop to notice you're messing with something to put him in a real apprehensive mood. And they are trained to look for movements like that during stops.

LEO's on the board may have further comments, but I would find some other way of carrying the gun in the car.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

They (when I did it "we") called it furtive movement. I may have spelled that wrong..... Honestly if they ask tell them you were pulling your license out and dropped it. But then again I would look for a better way to carry. In the event of an accident that thing can go flying.

I think I have told this on here but I'll tell it again.

I knew a guy who carried a 1911 on duty and had a Gold Cup for back-up that was attached to the center console/radio mount of his car. He got into an accident one night that involved a roll-over at a somewhat low speed (left a turn that was on a somewhat steep embankment). After the accident he was completely fine except for a REALLY nasty gash on his forehead. Yup the gun was just tucked into the console and not firmly attached. When the rollover happened it flew out and hit him on the forehead. It actually took some stickes and he had headaches for days because of it.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

For a little different slant on carrying in a car, I will offer up my example.

I live on the beach, and I almost never wear anything other than shorts and a T-shirt. Early on I learned that my carry weapons, an S&W Airweight .38 and an XD-40, could only be carried effectively concealed in my pocket. I use an Uncle Mike's "Sidekick" for each. The difficulty, if not danger, in attempting to get a handgun out of a standard front side pocket when you are seated (on it??) in your car has been pointed out above, more than once.

Quite by accident I discovered "SigTac" shorts in the Dillon catalogue, available here on the 'Net. They are hard to describe, but I will try. (Well, maybe not quite by accident, because I was admiring the artwork in the catalogue and stumbled upon the SigTacs.) :oops:

There are two deep pockets on both right and left, one right on top of the other. You cannot tell that there are two by casually seeing the shorts. The first pocket is as usual on any shorts, and is large enough to effectively conceal either of my carry weapons. The second pocket is accessible by an unobtrusive zipper into the pocket which is upright on your leg when seated. (So there -- I told you it is hard to describe -- maybe someone else familiar with SigTac can do a better job of it).

In any event, the pocket in the standard position makes draw convenient when standing, and, if you move your weapon to the second pocket when seated it is then convenient to draw without contorting yourself. The zipper on the "seated" pocket prevents the weapon from flying around in the car should you have an accident, but you can unzip the pocket in a millisecond to make your weapon quickly drawn.

These may not appeal to you, but they work for me. I have three pair of the shorts (a rather limited wardrobe, but quite adequate for a beach bum), and I have ordered a pair of the khaki pants for a trial just in case I have to go to a funeral (mine?) or a wedding (not mine) someday. ;-)

Jim

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”