How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

AirAssault
Posts in topic: 3

Re: It's out of your hands now....

Post by AirAssault »

jbenat wrote:Congrats air assault! But you might as well make yourself comfortable your in for a long wait unlees you are female. But with a name like air assault I doubt you are. Good luck.
i'm a guy so i guess i'll get prepared for a long wait.
:cry:

dubya
Posts in topic: 17

Post by dubya »

Don't go ballistic if you check your status online today and get the message below. I called - they are having technical problems...

"The data you have submitted indicates you may not be eligible for this service. Please verify the data submitted is correct. If you still cannot proceed, please contact DPS at 1-800-224-5744 or email chl@txdps.state.tx.us for more information."

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

Awww, hell. Not the way to get started on the right foot.

I wish you both the best though. And welcome!

red-beard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by red-beard »

Mailed Oct 10th, 2005 – Received Dec 5th. DPS Website showed approved Dec 1st.

barres
Posts in topic: 27

Post by barres »

I will be able to chime in on this subject (hopefully) fairly soon. Took the CHL class Saturday, will get the certificate at the end of the week, and, then, it's all off in the mail to Austin by Saturday (March 11). Unless the birth of my second son intervenes! :grin: But that should only delay things by a day or two.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

Priorities, man!

Congrats on 2 fronts, barres! Time for no sleep for a while again... my 10 month old just started sleeping through the night about a month ago. Second time around for me as well.

fire128
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fire128 »

Got home from work today and the mailbox had a nice little envelope with my name on it :grin: That makes a total time of 35 days from when they recieved packet to me having license in hand....now does anyone have a spare holster for a cz75 compact? I ordered one from highnoon holsters 4 months ago and it looks like it is still a month or more out. :oops:

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

fire128 wrote:
Got home from work today and the mailbox had a nice little envelope with my name on it That makes a total time of 35 days from when they recieved packet to me having license in hand....now does anyone have a spare holster for a cz75 compact? I ordered one from highnoon holsters 4 months ago and it looks like it is still a month or more out.

Congratulations there fire. You were one of the very fortunate souls to have such a short wait time. I also have great news and that is as of today the DPS website says that my application is completed and license issued! :grin: My wait time was a total of 85 days. :???: Im assuming it will be a few more days before the license actually arrives in the mail.

I have a question for you guys (and gals). Im hoping that Charles or any DPS instructors like txinvestigator might clarify by chiming in on this one.

My wife and I are moving at the end of this month. When we move, I will obviously have to have both my DL and CHL renewed with the new address. Will I be able to carry while waiting for the updated CHL? I see no specific reference to this in statute GC 411.181 Notice of Change of Address or Name Thanks in advance.

Wishing better wait times for everyone.

aggie dad
Posts in topic: 9

Post by aggie dad »

Congrats to Geopagus and to those fortunate enough to have received fast turnaround! I am at 83 days and still getting the same old processing application message. I may try calling them again tomorrow. Its hard not to be irritated when others seem to get fast service, while others languish.

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

aggie dad wrote:
Congrats to Geopagus and to those fortunate enough to have received fast turnaround! I am at 83 days and still getting the same old processing application message. I may try calling them again tomorrow. Its hard not to be irritated when others seem to get fast service, while others languish

Thank you. I was only two days ahead of you, so Im willing to bet that your status will change very soon.

dubya

Post by dubya »

Still waiting here also at just over 60 and in Dallas County and just resolved to the wait.
Perhaps the delay may be in Harris and Dallas County? Those of you who got quick turnaround - what county are you in? Thanks, it doesn't change the wait but it may help understand it; then again, it may not.

dubya

Post by dubya »

BTW, it seems much longer because I completed the online application in late December so it seems to have trailed over parts of four months. Our instructor (incorrectly) said the online app would knock off two weeks; it does get you a nice typed application quickly in the mail but the 60 days does not start until they get the completed packet. The hard part is the process can take up to 180 days if they need additional info. - and it seems they "restart" not "continue" the "60 days" when they put you on hold for more info.
I am starting to learn (or think I am) more about this process than I really wanted to.

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Hi to every one... This is my first post and have been going thru reading the " Waiting Time" that we all go thru. I applied and paid on line and got my packet in about a week...I also go my PIN #. Mailed the completed requiremnts/form February 13th. Can anybody help me how to make a follow up status on the Dps CHL website?? I must be blind or dumb or both.. LOL!!! I can't find the link where I can plug in my pin # and be given my status?? I live in Dallas County,BTW.... Or should I wait 60 days better trying to find out what's going on??

Thanks for any replies...

dubya

Post by dubya »

Hello Reysc, I would check; you could be one of the lucky ones!
Here are the links:
Main Licensing page:
https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NAS ... AppManager
And Status page click continue or :
http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASA ... ctTask.jsp

Reysc
Posts in topic: 49

Post by Reysc »

Thanks Dubya!!! I sure appreciate it.. Will give ya'll a heads up on what I'll find out.. My pin # is in my home files so goota wait till I get home..

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”