What % of new CHL holders renew?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AirAssault
Posts in topic: 3

What % of new CHL holders renew?

Post by AirAssault »

Are any stats posted that show how many new CHL holders actually renew their license when applicable?

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

What %? From this household 100%. That is self & wife.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

wrt45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What % of new CHL holders renew?

Post by wrt45 »

AirAssault wrote:Are any stats posted that show how many new CHL holders actually renew their license when applicable?
Don't know about state-wide %'s and such..........

However, I have noticed over the last couple of years an increasel of my CHL students who let their license expire long enough beforehand that they are taking the complete class again.

In discussions, most have said they didn't think about it much, let it expire, and then later decided they liked being able to carry. Just anecdotal with no hard data, FWIW.................

Topic author
AirAssault
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AirAssault »

The reason I ask is because my Dad and I were discussing this last week after I took my initial CHL class.

Just wondering if most do renew or is it 50/50 or less that don't renew due to class time, money, the paperwork, etc........

Show Killer

Post by Show Killer »

I will be renewing for my 1st time next year.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

My guess is that those who carry regularly are near 100% on renewals, and those who got their CHL "just in case I might go somewhere I need a gun" are much lower.

Kevin

Ogre77497

Post by Ogre77497 »

I was one of those that let it lapse for a year. :oops:

It was a combination of not receiving notice of renewal, and just being a dumb*ss.

Took the whole thing over in November (with the honey this time!).

It WILL NOT expire again, I can assure you. :grin:

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Two out of four students I had in little renewal class yesterday were within a month of expiration and had not received their packet from DPS.

But ... upon further inquiry, both had moved and had not yet notified DPS of same. And, since DPS does not allow the "time for renewal" mail to be forwarded, they are likely both in for somewhat of an additional hassle come Monday ... :oops:

I suspect similar (not filing out the form in a timely manner and paying the $25) probably contributes to many letting their license lapse. :sad:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

I was one of those renewals yesterday. Third time for renewal. No I was not of the ones who moved.

I think the longer time period for renewals (5yr.) and the senior discount may help the number of renewals.

The way I shot yesterday I felt "senior".

My guess is the rate is well over the 50% for renewals.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I think the changes to the traveling law, will affect renewals some, also.
If they think that they woud be covered by the traveling law, there may not be a renewal.

I took the newbie CHL course in June 05. Just days before i took the course, it was news that the law was going to be changed on Sept 1 for "traveling", and length of licensure.
The way the traveling law was being reported in the news, it seemed almost as if a CHL wouldn't even be necessary in order to car carry. It had me wondering for some time if I should even bother sending in the paperwork.

There maybe quite a few existing license holders out there that are thinking the "car carry" will have them covered. It might, but probably not, especially with the threatening noises coming from district attorneys in the news, that say they are going to ignore the new writing of the law.

Maybe some of our instructors here, can help on the "traveling" vs "carrying" issue. I'm not sure it has been explained very well.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

The traveling presumption only applies to private motor vehicle carry.

It does not seem to me that many people are even aware of the presumption. I am the training director at a gun range, and we see 40+ CHL students a week.

Regarding the percentage of renewals; Our initial classes are filling up faster than ever. We limit to 20 students, and classes are ful well over a week in advance. My 3 night initial class is also filling up each month.

The renewal classes are not quite full each week. However, that does not account for people who take the renewal elsewhere, or people who took the initial elsewhere and renew with us.

My general observation is that many people are getting new CHL's, and a high percentage are renewing.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I am the training director at a gun range, and we see 40+ CHL students a week.
That just brought something else to my mind. I see a number somewhere in the 240,000 range for CHLs in Texas. But going off of the mumbers i see around the state for students, it seems that number should be much higher.

Have you seen any numbers you consider to be accurate? tia..

:edit: fat fingers
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

txinvestigator wrote: Our initial classes are filling up faster than ever. We limit to 20 students, and classes are ful well over a week in advance. My 3 night initial class is also filling up each month.
TX - I have noticed this too and wondered if it was happening everywhere. I do 2 new classes a month and, since January, I have been booked up to a month in advance with a waiting list.

I really thought the "traveling law", as reported, would cause a decrease in new students, but I haven't found that many new students are even aware of it!

What do you think is the cause for the sudden increase in applicants? And, FWIW, I think this is also the cause for more fingerprints coming back from Austin and more applicants being delayed in getting their licenses.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

DPS' numbers are staight from the horses mouth, at least on applications that are actually submitted/issued.

If all the folks who TALKED about getting the CHL actually did so, we'd have a couple of million more ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

llwatson wrote: What do you think is the cause for the sudden increase in applicants?
Katrina and Rita. And Katrina refugees in Texas.

Just being blunt about it. I think a lot of people saw what happened, and got serious about getting around to getting their CHL.

Kevin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”