Defining moments - what made you decide to carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fratermus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Defining moments - what made you decide to carry?

Post by fratermus »

Stupid wrote:Not sure if we had similar topics before, but I find it quite enlightening. Here's my reasoning/moments behind the whole CHL thing. Nothing glamorous nor dramatic.
There was no moment for me; it seemed like the right thing to do.

It seemed to me to be less of a privilege and more of a responsibility; those with gun experience and a clean background have a responsibility to step up and carry. In this way the Good Guys subtly influence their immediate Area of Operation and improve their community. Note that this is my own internal dialog; I do not attempt to lay this on others (and I don't think I've ever expressed it anywhere before). It's the way I think on the inside.

I had a similar attitude about joining the army. I did it because I thought it was my responsibility as a citizen. [shrug]

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

Hello all,

My identity was stolen by my brother several years ago. I thought I had it all cleared up. We started to have some drug activity in my neighborhood and went to buy a shotgun. I was turned down for being a felon.?!!!! Thanks BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad5

I've carried ever since. Oh, I don't get turned down for firearms purchases anymore.

With alot of cooperation of TCPD that area is now peaceful again.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

kwf2006

Post by kwf2006 »

When I found out that I could.
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." -look it up.

thejtrain

Post by thejtrain »

Copied directly from my "Introduce yourself" post:
People mistake me for a linebacker (though I never played football) or a cop (must be the bald head); that might contribute to the fact that I've never been mugged nor thrown or "received" a punch in my life. I never really had any desire to own a gun until I got married. I hadn't given much thought to my responsibility for my own safety, but as soon as I brought that lovely and wonderful woman into my house and life, I started considering that something might happen that would result in me failing to protect her. And that scares me more than my own life being taken. Got educated and purchased the aforementioned G30; never did apply for a CHL in our previous may-issue state but now that I'm here I'm working on it!
Now if I can just find a way to take baby steps towards making my wife comfortable with firearms... maybe someday she can start carrying, too! Will post shortly in the Ladies General section eliciting suggestions, feel free to stop by if you've got some!
5 Feb 2008 - completed online application
1 March 2008 - completed CHL course
5 March 2008 - package delivery @ DPS
28 March 2008 - Day 23, "Processing Application"
12 June 2008 - Day 99, "Application Completed" :thumbs2:
20 June 2008 - Day 107, plastic in hand :txflag:

Shootstir
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Shootstir »

thejtrain wrote:Copied directly from my "Introduce yourself" post:

Now if I can just find a way to take baby steps towards making my wife comfortable with firearms... maybe someday she can start carrying, too! Will post shortly in the Ladies General section eliciting suggestions, feel free to stop by if you've got some!
I started my wife on a small, .22caliber pump-action rifle. No recoil, and the noise was mitigated by the distance to the muzzle. Earplugs are a must! If a woman perceives pain in the process- she is likely to always associate pain with the process. (Same for a young adult under your tutelage.) After your wife gains familiarity with the small rifle, introduce a suitable small-frame revolver- again with .22 caliber, although a .25 might also work. (Depends on your budget)

I hope your wife takes to firearms as easily as mine did. She really enjoys our time together. Just remember to take it slow, make it interesting, and be sure she has proper eye and ear protection. That last, will seal the deal in most instances. Good luck and good shooting! -Troy
NRA Lifemember
Kimber Pro Carry
(.45ACP)
CHL circa 1998

"If it comes at you snarling with tooth and claw, it's better to empty the magazine before asking questions."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”