How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

ShootNMove
Posts in topic: 9

Post by ShootNMove »

This morning, my online status is "Application completed - license issued..."

Yay! Now to count down the days until it gets here!
*SPEED, SURPRISE & VIOLENCE OF ACTION*
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

DMoses
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DMoses »

Just a few questions...

My packet was signed for on Jan. 12th(3 weeks ago)

What is the website to check the status and how long should it take to get a pin #?

Has anyone recieved their license significantly earlier than 60 days?

Thanks

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bauerdj »

It took me about 3 weeks to get the pin number. I received my CHL on exactly the sixtieth day after they had signed for the package. I have heard of some coming sooner, some latter. In my case they would have had to check with NY on the backround checks since I was only here in Texas two weeks when I sent the application in. Giving the attitude towards permits in NY they may have taken their time replying.

da.suxor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by da.suxor »

Finally received it today in the mail It was sent out from DPS on 01/27, in the mailbox 02/02.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

DMoses wrote:Just a few questions...

My packet was signed for on Jan. 12th(3 weeks ago)

What is the website to check the status and how long should it take to get a pin #?

Has anyone recieved their license significantly earlier than 60 days?

Thanks
You will receive a PIN number in the mail. You can then go here to check the progress.

Be patient. As you have read it takes time. I think we all go the same anticipation as firsttimers. Good luck.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

da.suxor wrote:Finally received it today in the mail It was sent out from DPS on 01/27, in the mailbox 02/02.
Congrats. Carry well and be safe! :patriot:

taurusgirl
Posts in topic: 1

CHL

Post by taurusgirl »

It took a total of 65 days to get my CHL in the mail, even after they sent one of the pages back that I overlooked and did not sign, not too bad. I never received a PIN in the mail, just my CHL. My husband who signed everything correctly did receive a PIN, but is still waiting on his CHL.

ShootNMove
Posts in topic: 9

Post by ShootNMove »

Yay! My CHL arrived today. 77 days after they received my application. I don't think I've been this happy since I got back from the Middle East!!!
*SPEED, SURPRISE & VIOLENCE OF ACTION*
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flintknapper »

Shortwave wrote:Yay! My CHL arrived today. 77 days after they received my application. I don't think I've been this happy since I got back from the Middle East!!!

Congratulations!

Today is day 60 for me (renewal), site still says "processing application".

Arrrrgghhhh! :???: :mad:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Finally,

After 64 calender days (renewal). Site says application completed.

Now, if the USPS doesn't lose it, I'll be properly "dressed" again in 4-5 days!

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

Well, at about day 58 the DPS website had still said "processing application". So, I decided to go ahead and send a polite email over to the CHL's department as suggested and as I expected them to go over the 60 day processing time period. The email exchange ensues:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:19 PM
To: chl@txdps.state.tx.us
Subject: CHL Application Status

To Whom It May Concern:

Application #

My CHL application (referenced above) was received by DPS on 12-12-05. I received my confirmation letter w/pin from DPS approximately 30 days later.

The 60 days for processing time will be reached at the end of this week and I wanted to inquire if there was any way to find out further details concerning my application status beyond the "processing application" message posted on the DPS website. Thank you very much for your time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHLS <CHL@txdps.state.tx.us> wrote:
We did receive your application on 12/12/05; but at this time it is still going through its regular processing. It takes about 60 days to process, please give it more time.

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:16 AM
To: CHLS
Subject: RE: CHL Application Status

Application #:

Hello and thank you very much for the response. Today marks the 66th calendar day for processing of my application. Is the 60 day processing time for DPS calendar or business days? I apologize if the information to this question is readily available somewhere, but I have not been able to find the clarification. As always, thank you very much for your time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:
Subject: RE: CHL Application Status
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:54:20 -0600
As of today we are waiting for an FBI response. We are expecting it to come in with in a few days. As soon as we receive the response we will issue your license as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went ahead and checked the DPS website for my status after this email today, just out of curiosity. Instead of saying "processing application", it now says "No application or license/certificate active". :shock: Now, can anyone please explain to me what that means? No application active? I certainly hope my email exchange didn't tee them off over there. :???:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

First I've heard of that response. I hope it all turns out well.

Someone with more knowledge will be able to explain further.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Just got my renewal the other day. 68 days! :sad:

I never inquired about the status, just let them do their thing.

No doubt, the process is in need of help...from the local level right up through the federal. I'm sure the folks in Austin get delayed waiting on information from other agencies. It can't be a lot of fun responding to questions about things that are out of your control.

I wish the system were more expedient, but it isn't.

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

dws1117 wrote:
First I've heard of that response. I hope it all turns out well.

Someone with more knowledge will be able to explain further.
Thank you, I'm sure it will.

flintknapper wrote:
Just got my renewal the other day. 68 days!

I never inquired about the status, just let them do their thing.

No doubt, the process is in need of help...from the local level right up through the federal. I'm sure the folks in Austin get delayed waiting on information from other agencies. It can't be a lot of fun responding to questions about things that are out of your control.

I wish the system were more expedient, but it isn't.
I agree to a point. I'm going to leave the process alone now that I've gotten in touch with them. I am thankful for the timely responses from DPS. However, one thing is certain, which is that there's still a 60 day statute. It's sort of like me saying, "well the speed limit in the city according to law is 60 mph, but I'm in a hurry today, so Ill go 72 mph." Is the law going to care? They may give me a break and they may not. The point is that I broke the law by speeding and shouldnt expect any breaks should I get caught breaking it. There has to be more accountability somewhere IMHO. Thanks for the replys guys and stay safe.

Ogre77497
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ogre77497 »

The wife got her CHL in 58 days. Mine, which was submitted the same day, took 88 days. I did get a nice call at the office from Dana at DPS saying the application had been approved and the license was in the mail.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”