How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

I'm glad you have an answer in the poll that satisfies your situation! Still waiting for the 120+ day option here...

Got it nearly a year ago, but that delay still bothers me. Chas, let me know how I can help with the legislative efforts in 2007!

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

Hello everyone. I, like aggie dad, have been lurking about on the forum for a while and also decided to finally chime in. This is a great forum with great information. Thanks to all, especially Charles. :grin:

Aggie Dad, it seems we are in a similar situation here. My application was received by DPS on 12-12-05. I've yet to receive any confirmation letter or pin number as well, although I have spoken on 2 occasions with the kind ladies over at the DPS office. I was basically told the same thing that I've seen posted here on this discussion thread; which is that they are running behind in logging in applications. What bothers me most at this point is that they apparently did not have any problem cashing in my money order a week after they received my application. But, I digress. :???: Like many others I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I also hope for changes in legislation that will allow this to be a smoother process.

Wishing everone well

aggie dad
Posts in topic: 9

Post by aggie dad »

Update - I emailed DPS yesterday requesting my PIN, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply this morning with my PIN. As expected the online site indicates Processing Application and I assume that status probably won't change for at least another 30 days.

Doug

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flintknapper »

aggie dad wrote:that status probably won't change for at least another 30 days.
Doug

Oh Man! Don't even say that.

They've had my renewal since the first week of December. In just the last few days has the site changed to "processing application". If they mess around and take another 30 days (plus snail mail time), I'll go well over 70 days.

Maybe its time for me to move back to Austin, seems they need some help!

Arrrrrrrrrrrghhhh!

Geopagus
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Geopagus »

Update here also - After posting last night, I came home from eating dinner with my wife after work this evening to find a CHL confirmation letter w/pin. I'll take that as a sure positive. :grin:

bdsnooks
Posts in topic: 1

FINALLY!!!!!

Post by bdsnooks »

Hi All,

I've been lurking here since I moved to Texas in April.

I took my CHL class 0n 10/8, sent in my packet which DPS signed for on 10/18.
I have been waiting patiently ever since.:cry:

I made a couple of calls to DPS within the last 2 weeks----
I GOT IT TODAY!!!!!!

Now, what to carry???

Colin
:lol:

quidni
Posts in topic: 3

Post by quidni »

New - 61-70 days

Closer to the 61 than the 70, IIRC. Pretty close to what I'd been told to expect, based on my instructor's experience with many of his students, so I wasn't unhappy. I just monitored the website once I got my PIN, and drove my family crazy with watching the mailbox once I saw the "Issued" message!
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

ih8h8ers
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ih8h8ers »

New License.

82 Days!!!

Don't know what the hold up was but finally got it yesterday!!
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by nitrogen »

Today starts the long, agonizing wait for me. DPS in Austin got my CHL app this morning

ShootNMove

Post by ShootNMove »

1st post for me here. Hello.

I'm at about 60 days (40 something business days) since they received my application on 21NOV. I was feeling discouraged until I read this thread.

What phone # do you call to speak with a live person about your status? The only one I've found is purely automated.

Anyway, I'm glad that I found this forum.
*SPEED, SURPRISE & VIOLENCE OF ACTION*
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the number here, but call the main DPS number and ask to be transferred to the CHL unit. You still may get an answering service, but you have a better chance of talking to someone.

BTW, the statutory deadline is 60 calendar days, not business days, so don't let them sell you that line.

Chas.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by flintknapper »

ShootNMove wrote: What phone # do you call to speak with a live person about your status? The only one I've found is purely automated.
Try this:
1-800-224-5744

aggie dad

Post by aggie dad »

For those that have experienced more than 60 days, and called DPS for explanation, did you remind them of the statuatory 60 calendar day timeframe, and if so, how do they react?? Unfortunately much of their processing is dependent on input from others and is out of their control, unless they are supposed to proactively expedite any slow responses to background/finger print checks. I just wonder if it is worth providing that "gentle" reminder as to their turnaround obligation to get things moving. I am not at this point myself, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

ShootNMove

Post by ShootNMove »

I called DPS yesterday, and they told me that my application had just gotten 'Cleared", and it just had to be "Issued". I think I understand what it means, but could anyone help me out and explain what that means? Thanks.
*SPEED, SURPRISE & VIOLENCE OF ACTION*
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

da.suxor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by da.suxor »

Emailed them last night, recieved response saying it should be mailed today. I think they tell everyone that to buy more time :)

I sent the packet in at the end of November. Took close to 3-4 weeks for it to get entered into the system (from the website status perspective). If in fact they do mail it out this week, that would be less than 30 days processing.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”