Recover Stolen Vehicle Legal Aspect

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Recover Stolen Vehicle Legal Aspect

Post by jkurtz »

What would be the legal ramifications, if any, had the occupants produced a firearms and fired at the a actual owner, assuming they were unaware that the vehicle was stolen? For example, if the people currently in the vehicle recently purchased it, unaware of the fact that it was stolen. Another possibility being that the driver stole the vehicle, but the passenger was unaware and under the impression that the vehicle was legally owned?

Tylerscott20
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tylerscott20 »

jkurtz wrote:What would be the legal ramifications, if any, had the occupants produced a firearms and fired at the a actual owner, assuming they were unaware that the vehicle was stolen? For example, if the people currently in the vehicle recently purchased it, unaware of the fact that it was stolen. Another possibility being that the driver stole the vehicle, but the passenger was unaware and under the impression that the vehicle was legally owned?
Considering every state that borders Texas(possible states that the theoretical car most likely would have been theoretically stolen from :mrgreen: ) issue titles for car ownership, the people occupying the vehicle would have little legal ground to stand upon. Ignorance of the law does not excuse one from it. :rules:

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

Tylerscott20 wrote:
jkurtz wrote:What would be the legal ramifications, if any, had the occupants produced a firearms and fired at the a actual owner, assuming they were unaware that the vehicle was stolen? For example, if the people currently in the vehicle recently purchased it, unaware of the fact that it was stolen. Another possibility being that the driver stole the vehicle, but the passenger was unaware and under the impression that the vehicle was legally owned?
Considering every state that borders Texas(possible states that the theoretical car most likely would have been theoretically stolen from :mrgreen: ) issue titles for car ownership, the people occupying the vehicle would have little legal ground to stand upon. Ignorance of the law does not excuse one from it. :rules:
My girlfriend actually used to keep her car title in the glove box until I explained to her why that wasn't a very good idea. I am sure she is not the only person to do it. Never the less, that doesn't cover a situation in which the passenger is unaware of the fact that the car is stolen.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

jkurtz wrote:My girlfriend actually used to keep her car title in the glove box until I explained to her why that wasn't a very good idea. I am sure she is not the only person to do it. Never the less, that doesn't cover a situation in which the passenger is unaware of the fact that the car is stolen.
Vehicle titles should be treated like social security cards; locked away in a fireproof safe unless specifically needed.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I keep my signed but otherwise blank "pink slip" (California Title) in the glove box, so when I challenge people to a race, I can bet my car as collateral. :smilelol5:

When I bought my first car in NY in 1987 (1977 Datsun), it had a negotiable REGISTRATION slip. :shock:

However, when they re-titled it the title document was separate.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Post by locke_n_load »

ScottDLS wrote:I keep my signed but otherwise blank "pink slip" (California Title) in the glove box, so when I challenge people to a race, I can bet my car as collateral. :smilelol5:

When I bought my first car in NY in 1987 (1977 Datsun), it had a negotiable REGISTRATION slip. :shock:

Scott, when I saw you replied to this thread I thought "great, some more legal justification!" and then saw your info was just about vehicle registrations!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

locke_n_load wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I keep my signed but otherwise blank "pink slip" (California Title) in the glove box, so when I challenge people to a race, I can bet my car as collateral. :smilelol5:

Scott, when I saw you replied to this thread I thought "great, some more legal justification!" and then saw your info was just about vehicle registrations!
I was replying to Flightmare's reply, but I plead guilty to drifting off topic. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”