state fair carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

llwatson wrote:Security at the State Fair would be Dallas PD. At least, that was my experience.
The people who run the metal detectors and control the gates are private security.

I have to reiterate my experience the first year that CC was "allowed."

My wife and I approached a private security person who was waving a handheld metal detector at people and passing them through or stopping them based on whether the wand beeped. As we stepped up I had my DL and CHL in hand, as I had been informed in advance that I would have to display them, and the guy waved the wand it me and waved us through before I even had a chance to tell him I was carrying. I was wearing a full size 1911 .45ACP at 3 to 4 oclock and he never got the wand close enough to it for it to sound.

Being basically an honest person, I went on to declare my CHL anyway and we were set aside to wait for someone to come confirm MY status. This worthy finally showed up and recorded my name, CHL number, DL number, and wanted the serial number of my gun (which I declined because I would have to draw the gun to get it.)

They never asked for my wife's CHL, although they did look in her purse and competely miss her carry gun (a holster purse.)

The procedures have gotten less obnoxious every year since.

Being employed by TSA at the time, and being well schooled in the use of handheld metal detectors, I did tell the officials that the private security forces were not doing a very good job with the HHMDs.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

CHL/LEO
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHL/LEO »

This entire process is only to make people attending the fair "feel good" about security. Possibly a few people who are UCW see them searching and decide to leave. If someone wanted to get weapons into the fair all they need to do is have an accomplice go to one side of the perimeter fence and hand a gun over to them. We catch people passing contraband in this way every year and also attempting to scale the fence to enter.

I advise everyone who attends the fair to be personally responsible for their own security and if you have a CHL bring your gun if you have a way to properly secure it if you intend to partake of the rides. By far the greatest danger to you is not inside the fair grounds but in the parking lots and neighborhoods that surround it.
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

CHL/LEO wrote:This entire process is only to make people attending the fair "feel good" about security. Possibly a few people who are UCW see them searching and decide to leave. If someone wanted to get weapons into the fair all they need to do is have an accomplice go to one side of the perimeter fence and hand a gun over to them. We catch people passing contraband in this way every year and also attempting to scale the fence to enter.

I advise everyone who attends the fair to be personally responsible for their own security and if you have a CHL bring your gun if you have a way to properly secure it if you intend to partake of the rides. By far the greatest danger to you is not inside the fair grounds but in the parking lots and neighborhoods that surround it.
Bingo!!! :thumbsup:

This discussion sure did take an interesting tack...I like it...We need to have this one from time to time...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 14

Post by BrassMonkey »

Maybe I will just play dumb as we go thru the detector. Then if we get called out, I can give the private security guy hell, lol...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

BrassMonkey wrote:Maybe I will just play dumb as we go thru the detector. Then if we get called out, I can give the private security guy heck, lol...
I hope you have a good lawyer on retainer.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

I do, but why would I need him? This is a discussion of nitty gritty details you know...
frankie_the_yankee wrote:
BrassMonkey wrote:Maybe I will just play dumb as we go thru the detector. Then if we get called out, I can give the private security guy heck, lol...
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

BrassMonkey wrote:I do, but why would I need him? This is a discussion of nitty gritty details you know...
Wasn't it Charles who said if you hang out on the ragged edge of the law, you need to be prepared to bleed? (or something like that)

Philosophically, I'm with you. But if I was going to the fair, I'd just declare my gun and go through the procedure. It doesn't seem like a whole lot.

No way am I going to walk through a metal detector while carrying a gun and trust to just playing dumb.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

But I haven't been to the wild side in years. A guy's gotta have some fun every so often :-)
BrassMonkey wrote:I do, but why would I need him? This is a discussion of nitty gritty details you know...
Wasn't it Charles who said if you hang out on the ragged edge of the law, you need to be prepared to bleed? (or something like that)

Philosophically, I'm with you. But if I was going to the fair, I'd just declare my gun and go through the procedure. It doesn't seem like a whole lot.

No way am I going to walk through a metal detector while carrying a gun and trust to just playing dumb.
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Crossfire »

BrassMonkey wrote:But I haven't been to the wild side in years. A guy's gotta have some fun every so often :-)
I think your definition of "fun" needs some general tweaking. ;-)

Something to work on...
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

I carried last year. Walked up and handed my CHL to the guy with the wand before he started. He looked at it 3x then called for DPD.
I waited about 10min, they wrote down my info and told me to have a nice day. That was all.
Brother figured out what was going on, but the friend with us had no clue.

The year prior to that I left the gun in the truck as I wasn't sure. Asked a DPD officer inside and he told me there wasn't a chance in the world that it was legal to carry at the fair :roll:
Taurus PT-111MP
Springfield XD-9 Service

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

lol, yeah. I know, I can walk up, ask for the DPD. hand them my, "Credentials" and let everyone wonder if maybe I am a rock star or something.

Brass: Please summon a police officer.
Security: Why?
Brass: Because I asked you to.
Security: I need to know what to tell them.
Brass: Don't you know who I am?

LOL

llwatson wrote:
BrassMonkey wrote:But I haven't been to the wild side in years. A guy's gotta have some fun every so often :-)
I think your definition of "fun" needs some general tweaking. ;-)

Something to work on...
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Mark G26

Post by Mark G26 »

CHL/LEO wrote: I advise everyone who attends the fair to be personally responsible for their own security and if you have a CHL bring your gun if you have a way to properly secure it if you intend to partake of the rides. By far the greatest danger to you is not inside the fair grounds but in the parking lots and neighborhoods that surround it.

:iagree:
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians

NguyenVanDon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NguyenVanDon »

I was going to post the same topic. Glad I got all my answers covered.

:grin:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Post by FrEaK_aCcIdEnT »

carried last year. no big deal. informed a police officer at the gate. he went and got another poliece officer. A lady came over and took down my chl info and they let me walk in bypassing the metal detectors.

Everyone was very professional and no crazy searches involved.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

With the new CHL privacy law in place, wouldn't it be illegal for the police who copy down your info to provide it to anyone who doesn't have a valid law enforcement reason to access it?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”