CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Worst LTC Student?

Post by TXBO »

ConcealedCarryTX.com wrote:Hi everybody,
I am an instructor in the Dallas area, teaching a few years. And I totally agree with having basic pistol instruction before taking my class. And if and when they passed the course, if I'm not comfortable with their skill level, I schedule a 3 hour session (and charge them) before I give them their certificate. It's only the right thing to do, in my opinion.

Someone had mentioned in a previous post about inserting the magazine in backwards, then having a round in the chamber in reverse. Either I'm dumb, but that is literally impossible to do. I can understand trying to put the magazine in backwards (which I've never seen successfully done--ever!), but a round in the chamber? It ain't happening.
Why only 3 hours. If you're going to apply your own arbitrary qualifications, why not go for 30 or 40 hours? You can make a lot more money that way.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RossA »

What Charles said.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

"Special" was two to my left during my test group. She couldn't even load her magazine. One of her shots hit the target of the dude in between us.

She wasn't pointing a loaded weapon at anybody, but I made a mental note of her face and if there's a shootout and she is present--I'm running.

She past, but looking at her target I didn't see how. Looking at her...

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Embalmo »

My class was full of people who'd obviously never loaded of fired a handgun. Why would someone want to gain their license to carry if they weren't into shooting and handling handguns already? I certainly wouldn't have taken my driving test if I hadn't practiced driving. Maybe a range punch card should be required to prove that the student has some range time under their belt.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

I am an instructor in the Dallas area, teaching a few years. And I totally agree with having basic pistol instruction before taking my class. And if and when they passed the course, if I'm not comfortable with their skill level, I schedule a 3 hour session (and charge them) before I give them their certificate. It's only the right thing to do, in my opinion.

Someone had mentioned in a previous post about inserting the magazine in backwards, then having a round in the chamber in reverse. Either I'm dumb, but that is literally impossible to do. I can understand trying to put the magazine in backwards (which I've never seen successfully done--ever!), but a round in the chamber? It ain't happening.
I really hope you're bluffing. While you may have good intentions, this sounds pretty shady.

A local gun shop quit offering LTC classes because they felt the shorter classes were inadequate in their opinion. So rather than teach something they were uncomfortable with they got out of that line of business.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

am an instructor in the Dallas area, teaching a few years. And I totally agree with having basic pistol instruction before taking my class. And if and when they passed the course, if I'm not comfortable with their skill level, I schedule a 3 hour session (and charge them) before I give them their certificate. It's only the right thing to do, in my opinion.
Hopefully your license to teach will be revoked as you are extorting money from people. You are paid to teach and provide a service, not provide an opinion. Either they pass or fail. They need to be provided with the opportunity to pass the proficiency portion of the class before they are "required" to take a basic handgun class.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

Embalmo wrote:My class was full of people who'd obviously never loaded of fired a handgun. Why would someone want to gain their license to carry if they weren't into shooting and handling handguns already? I certainly wouldn't have taken my driving test if I hadn't practiced driving. Maybe a range punch card should be required to prove that the student has some range time under their belt.
Lots of people get their CHL that really aren't into shooting and guns. They just want to be able to protect themselves. I think they need to understand that a little training and practice will enable them to protect themselves a little better and safer.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Embalmo wrote:My class was full of people who'd obviously never loaded of fired a handgun. Why would someone want to gain their license to carry if they weren't into shooting and handling handguns already? I certainly wouldn't have taken my driving test if I hadn't practiced driving. Maybe a range punch card should be required to prove that the student has some range time under their belt.
Am I missing the news of a bunch of incompetent people with an LTC negligently or accidentally shooting innocent people? If not, what problem are people trying to solve?
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Welcome to the forum, if you are the instructor then you should know that you can not require extra instruction for a student who has passed the course. The state sets the standards and if they (the student) have been allowed to take your course and they passed the tests. Then you (the state certified instructor) can not add extra instruction in order for them (the student/s)to get the certificate of completion they have already earned. Of course, if you are the state certified instructor, you already know this.

And get with a moderator to change your screen name since you are not suppose to use your/a company name for your screen name.
Read the forum rules for a more enjoyable and fun time here, they are not hard to follow.

Again welcome to the forum.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I didn't have to borrow a gun during my qual testing, but did have to use my Hi Point .45! :shock: Big, heavy, ugly, cheap - but hey, it worked.

Place where I took my course would not tell us our shooting score - only "pass" or "fail." They said it was for our own benefit, in that if we ever got into a SD shooting that went to trial, a lawyer couldn't quote our qualification score and say: "we know you're a good shot. Why didn't you just shoot him in the arm?" Seemed pretty thin to me, but whatever. :roll:

We had 8 or 10 shooters on the line. Clearly some novices, but didn't notice anyone "special," thankfully. :lol:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I didn't have to borrow a gun during my qual testing, but did have to use my Hi Point .45! :shock: Big, heavy, ugly, cheap - but hey, it worked.

Place where I took my course would not tell us our shooting score - only "pass" or "fail." They said it was for our own benefit, in that if we ever got into a SD shooting that went to trial, a lawyer couldn't quote our qualification score and say: "we know you're a good shot. Why didn't you just shoot him in the arm?" Seemed pretty thin to me, but whatever. :roll:

We had 8 or 10 shooters on the line. Clearly some novices, but didn't notice anyone "special," thankfully. :lol:
It was thin.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Why would someone be "required" to practice at a public range? They can pass or they can't.
I guess we should "require" someone to teach them to drive, too.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I was lucky when I took my class I'm a senior citizen with fire arms experience I also carried for eight years in another state
before moving back to Texas. When I took my class it was on a weekday. I was put in a class for seniors ( i was the only senior) and
military. The other students were Military police that wanted to carry off duty. The class went well with no frightening expierences
No surprise no one failed the test :cheers2:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

twomillenium wrote:
Why would someone be "required" to practice at a public range? They can pass or they can't.
Yes, I believe someone should be taught to drive before taking their driving test. Individuals should be required to have been taught minimal range safety and proficiency before endangering others in their LTC training. An experienced buddy and range time is an excellent way to learn which direction to insert a magazine and how not to stick your finger in the trigger guard.

I've never taught an LTC class, but it certainly doesn't seem practical for an instructor to individually teach several students who've never touch a handgun how to load a handgun and operate it safely.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Embalmo wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
Yes, I believe someone should be taught to drive before taking their driving test. Individuals should be required to have been taught minimal range safety and proficiency before endangering others in their LTC training. An experienced buddy and range time is an excellent way to learn which direction to insert a magazine and how not to stick your finger in the trigger guard.

I've never taught an LTC class, but it certainly doesn't seem practical for an instructor to individually teach several students who've never touch a handgun how to load a handgun and operate it safely.

The role of an LTC instructor is not teach students how to operate or shoot their gun. No more than some one giving a driving test is supposed to teach someone to drive. It is the student's responsibilty, to demonstrate their proficiency.
By "requiring" a training class prior to taking an LTC course, it puts more government intervention into the process of being "allowed" to carry. A responsible gun owner, who wants to obtain an LTC probably "should" take it upon themselves to be trained to meet the requirements, but that should be at their discretion, and if they can't pass, then they will have to do the same as a driver who fails their driving test, and practice so they can pass, the next time.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”