Carter Country-Pasadena

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mlsa
Posts in topic: 2

Carter Country-Pasadena

Post by mlsa »

Just had an interesting discussion with the manager at Carter Country in Pasadena. Went in and on the front door they were advertising the next Concealed Handgun Class with the dates. Stepped inside the store and to the left of the entry way was another sign stating that any open carry or guns had to be unloaded, semi-auto's had to have slide locked back, etc. Wish I had taken a picture of the sign.

I asked the lady behind the counter about the sign and she called I assume the manager. I was very polite and asked him if he could help me understand what was going on. I said ya'll sell guns....you teach concealed handgun classes and yet you want us to come in with our guns unloaded with slides locked back which is useless if we would have to protect ourselves so why don't you just put up a 30.6 and 30.7 signs so that we know where you stand. Isn't this a little hypocritical?

The manager was very polite and said Mr. Carter made the decision when the new laws changed and that since they show guns to interested buyers they wouldn't know who was actually looking at their guns and who had their own guns. He said he would mention it to Mr. Carter and walked off. Personally I can't see where the new laws have changed anything that would affect the way they do business as far as safety goes.

Am I wrong to think that this is wrong? I won't be going back in there.

David

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Carter Country-Pasadena

Post by Jusme »

No you're not wrong, but if you weren't confused by their explanation, maybe you can put it into words I understand. If they sold shoes would they not know who brought their own shoes or if they were looking to buy new ones?

That makes absolutely no sense to me but then I live in the country and I don't understand big city lingo sometimes. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WildBill »

I may be wrong, but I thought they had that sign up for many years.
Not about open carry, but about bringing guns into the store. :headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought they had that sign up for many years.

maybe that was meant for someone looking to sell or trade their own guns, that would make more sense. you wouldn't want to walk up and unload one at the counter, so maybe the manger was confused, either that or he was hoping to spread confusion. :confused5

WildBill
Posts in topic: 11

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:
WildBill wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought they had that sign up for many years.

maybe that was meant for someone looking to sell or trade their own guns, that would make more sense. you wouldn't want to walk up and unload one at the counter, so maybe the manger was confused, either that or he was hoping to spread confusion. :confused5
Yes, I think that is what is was for. Or to try out a holster, or get it repaired etc.
NRA Endowment Member

TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomV »

So, it's not a 30.06 sign. And it's not a 30.07 sign.

Why not just conceal and go on like nothing happened?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

healthinsp wrote:So, it's not a 30.06 sign. And it's not a 30.07 sign.

Why not just conceal and go on like nothing happened?

:iagree:

What he said!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by puma guy »

I'll have to go check to see if it's the sign they've had for years, I see similar signs are at many gun shops.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I've been in there lots of times, made a few purchases, & had good experiences every time I've been. I haven't been there in a while though - at least not since open carry started. They've always had a sign at the entrance asking for guns to be cased & slide-locked / bolt-open. That is for anyone bringing in a used gun to sell or trade. They've never had an issue with concealed carry. Not sure about open carry, though.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

hawk44

Post by hawk44 »

I have gone in the Pasadena store a few time over the last years, and CC every time with no problems. they have always had the sign about all guns being unloaded and open,up on the door and when you walk in. I have always taken this as if you are going to handle a gun it's to be unloaded and open just like at a range. Imo they are going for safety not a legal stance, that's why they didn't post 06/07 signs.
Keep in mind I've been wrong before :banghead:

Topic author
mlsa

Post by mlsa »

Ok, maybe I just misunderstood the sign but that's the reason I asked the guy. I did tell him that after reading the sign I took my gun back to the car and locked it up....he didn't say I misunderstood that it wasn't for concealed carry. He also said Mr. Carter had made that decision after the new laws went into effect....plus the sign looked new...

BUT...HEY WHAT DO I KNOW?

Wasn't trying to stir up a stink or anything...was just baffled by the sign.

Thanks for all your replies.

David

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

The problem in gun stores is that people want to handle their firearms. If you're openly carrying, you're more likely to want to take it out of its holster - maybe to test fit it into a holster you're buying, or to sell/trade. With the slide forward, the clerk has no idea if it's loaded or not. Even guns that the owners think are unloaded sometimes have a round chambered.

I can't find the YouTube video right now, but they have a jar full of rounds that came out of "unloaded" firearms.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mlsa wrote:Ok, maybe I just misunderstood the sign but that's the reason I asked the guy. I did tell him that after reading the sign I took my gun back to the car and locked it up....he didn't say I misunderstood that it wasn't for concealed carry. He also said Mr. Carter had made that decision after the new laws went into effect....plus the sign looked new...

BUT...HEY WHAT DO I KNOW?

Wasn't trying to stir up a stink or anything...was just baffled by the sign.

Thanks for all your replies.

David
mlsa, I didn't interpret your post as trying to raise a stink and considered simply as your sharing an experience and concern. I don't think any one else here thought you were either. I know I was simply sharing my experience and other's shared opinions. The manager said Bill Carter has implemented a change after the new law so I am going to visit CC as soon as I can to see exactly what it is.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Found the video I was looking for

Sounds like the shop is doing going a little bit further than the one in the video.

But also, remember that a sign that says "no open carry" does not hold force of law for license holders. But they would just give you verbal notice.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I finally had a chance to go to Carter's Country Pasadena location. As I recall there used to be a sign on the door requesting firearm be brought in open bolts, cylinders and slides opened. I didn't see that sign today but inside the store on a easel I found this the sign pictured below. They have no 30.06 or 30.07, but I assume they will ask to remove and safe up your OC weapon before entering the turnstile.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”