Who has been approached at a gas station with someone begging for money?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Who has been approached at a gas station with someone begging for money?

Post by Countryside »

One of the best stories I read was a guy who had seen a certain guy at various places around town. He walked everywhere he went. This same guy approached him for money once as he was leaving a store. He asked the guy "Didn't I see you way over on the other side of town at such-and-such location?" They guy said "Yeah, probably, I walk all over town." The man telling the story said "I then told him that if he was healthy enough to walk all over town asking people for money, he was healthy enough to stand behind a counter and say "May I take your order, please?"

I don't give anyone cash. If they need shoes, I'll buy them shoes. If they need food, we'll provide them some food. If they need gas, we'll get them a little gas.
I don't fund anyone's alcohol, tobacco, drug or lottery needs.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tracker »

the 1970s, when I was 18, two friends and I were driving around town and stopped at the local washateria to use the bathroom. It was a cold drizzly evening. There was a guy sitting in a drier door trying to get warm. I felt sorry for him but I friends laughed. When we came out of the bathroom he asked in a broken voice if we could give him a cigarette. I told him none of us smoked. The three of went to our homes to eat supper. I then went to the store, bought a pack of smokes, stuffed a $20 in the pack and went back to the washateria. I asked him how it was going and if he still wanted a cigarette. When I handed him the pack and he saw the $20 he got tears in his eyes and said "I can't take this" and tried to hand it back. I wouldn't take it back. I wanted my address so that one day he could mail the $20 back to me. I tore a personal check in half and gave him the portion with my name and address. If asked if there was a bus stop around and I told him a few block down. I saw him walking towards the stop while I was driving off......Now that's someone who needed a break, unlike these professional beggars with their canned story who get mad if you don't give them their gas money

Javier730
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Javier730 »

Tracker wrote:the 1970s, when I was 18, two friends and I were driving around town and stopped at the local washateria to use the bathroom. It was a cold drizzly evening. There was a guy sitting in a drier door trying to get warm. I felt sorry for him but I friends laughed. When we came out of the bathroom he asked in a broken voice if we could give him a cigarette. I told him none of us smoked. The three of went to our homes to eat supper. I then went to the store, bought a pack of smokes, stuffed a $20 in the pack and went back to the washateria. I asked him how it was going and if he still wanted a cigarette. When I handed him the pack and he saw the $20 he got tears in his eyes and said "I can't take this" and tried to hand it back. I wouldn't take it back. I wanted my address so that one day he could mail the $20 back to me. I tore a personal check in half and gave him the portion with my name and address. If asked if there was a bus stop around and I told him a few block down. I saw him walking towards the stop while I was driving off......Now that's someone who needed a break, unlike these professional beggars with their canned story who get mad if you don't give them their gas money
Very kind of you but I would not give my address to any person in a situation like that.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Smokey
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Smokey »

When I go places with my kids and wife, we've started walking adult in front, kids in the middle, adult in back, and I try to be the first out the door. We've been approached a couple times - who hasn't? Outside of Braums, Barnes & Noble, gas stations, a restaurant we frequent. I've had a few people take up my offer to give them a burger.

Probably the creepiest time was about 9:30 at night I was going to a gas station to buy a snack. I drive by it occasionally and it looks like there's always someone just "hanging out". I walked in and this guy was standing there listening to music on his headphones/cell phone, asked me if I could help him out. I didn't want to be pulling out my wallet and turning my back to him while I paid so I just left. He looked like he didn't really need any help. Besides, who just hangs out at the gas station. Just seems weird.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tracker »

Javier730 wrote:
Tracker wrote:the 1970s, when I was 18, two friends and I were driving around town and stopped at the local washateria to use the bathroom. It was a cold drizzly evening. There was a guy sitting in a drier door trying to get warm. I felt sorry for him but I friends laughed. When we came out of the bathroom he asked in a broken voice if we could give him a cigarette. I told him none of us smoked. The three of went to our homes to eat supper. I then went to the store, bought a pack of smokes, stuffed a $20 in the pack and went back to the washateria. I asked him how it was going and if he still wanted a cigarette. When I handed him the pack and he saw the $20 he got tears in his eyes and said "I can't take this" and tried to hand it back. I wouldn't take it back. I wanted my address so that one day he could mail the $20 back to me. I tore a personal check in half and gave him the portion with my name and address. If asked if there was a bus stop around and I told him a few block down. I saw him walking towards the stop while I was driving off......Now that's someone who needed a break, unlike these professional beggars with their canned story who get mad if you don't give them their gas money
Very kind of you but I would not give my address to any person in a situation like that.
I was to my PO Box. Not the house address

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Tracker wrote:
Javier730 wrote:
I was to my PO Box. Not the house address
:thumbs2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Last time, I was driving to Houston. I stopped at Gas Station off I-45 and FM-1960. I was approached by a rapper-like-dressed black person and he was asking for a change. I quickly replied, I do not carry change!! My teen daughter was in the passenger side. We both did not like what was going on. :totap: :totap: I jumped back into my car after a min or so standing my guard. The guy was going back to his (Lexus?) car and came back wanted to talk to me while I was in MB convertible. I just ignored him.

A tip-top dressed person asking for a change??!!! My Alarms start going yellow to orange and flashing..... :grumble :grumble
Stay Alert. Stay aware about your safety zone.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

Beiruty wrote:Last time, I was driving to Houston. I stopped at Gas Station off I-45 and FM-1960. I was approached by a rapper-like-dressed black person and he was asking for a change. I quickly replied, I do not carry change!! My teen daughter was in the passenger side. We both did not like what was going on. :totap: :totap: I jumped back into my car after a min or so standing my guard. The guy was going back to his (Lexus?) car and came back wanted to talk to me while I was in MB convertible. I just ignored him.

A tip-top dressed person asking for a change??!!! My Alarms start going yellow to orange and flashing..... :grumble :grumble
Sounds like you were being "interviewed."
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

The company I work for has plenty of entry level positions for anyone willing to work an honest days work. I have business cards (w/o my mobile number on them, as these are the ones the admins handout to cold call sales folks) that I have handed out over the years to anyone who asked for cash around the gas stations or convenience stores that are close to the office.

I have never had one person contact me for a job. Not once. NEVER.

I feel so sorry for the folks that are truly in need, because of the 99% of folks that are just looking for a hand out.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

JRG

Post by JRG »

These beggar types are all over Tucson. Pull up for gas anywhere and I will be pestered for money by at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 within minutes. I want to give them a $5 McDonald's card but with what you guys have said in the previous replies, makes that a no go also since they really do not want food.

Joe

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Beiruty wrote:Last time, I was driving to Houston. I stopped at Gas Station off I-45 and FM-1960.
That area along with 59/1960 / BW 8 have given me several unpleasant encounters (intimidation from young guys and gals of all races) when doing the final gas up of the rent-car before heading to the airport.

I learned to gas up the rent car further from the airport. Had the feeling they knew I was likely not armed / airport bound.
You may have the last word.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

VMI77 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Last time, I was driving to Houston. I stopped at Gas Station off I-45 and FM-1960. I was approached by a rapper-like-dressed black person and he was asking for a change. I quickly replied, I do not carry change!! My teen daughter was in the passenger side. We both did not like what was going on. :totap: :totap: I jumped back into my car after a min or so standing my guard. The guy was going back to his (Lexus?) car and came back wanted to talk to me while I was in MB convertible. I just ignored him.

Sounds like you were being "interviewed."
Good thing, Deadly force was not necessary to presented.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

txblackout

Post by txblackout »

Tracker wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:The beggar isn't the only thing to worry about. You also need to remember their only job may be to distract you from the other person stealing from within your car while you're busy fending off the request for money.

And what makes it easy for them to pull this are new autos that automatically unlock all doors when the drive gets out to pump gas. :mad5

many cars can have this function reprogrammed. My wifes car only ever unlocks the drivers door automatically.

Topic author
fast86gn

Post by fast86gn »

I just saw that very thing on ch 4 news here not to long ago but it was only one person. Th guy drove up to a 7-11 in his PU truck the bum met him at his door and asked for money... and if I remember right he gave him some money. The guy went in to the store while he was in the store the bum opened the passenger side door and stole some stuff from his console. Don't remember what he got now?

My first thought was why leave your vehicle unlocked?
David

mikebass78

Post by mikebass78 »

7-11's
Gas Stations
Target

Etc

Outside of places they know we've just spent money at and I don't usually have much cash, but always say NO anyway.

The ran out of gas stories are the best, how do you run out of gas?
And you're dressed awfully nice to be running low on funds...

Sorry, Don't have it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”