How much of a hassle to fly with a firearm? ***UPDATE***

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CAL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CAL »

Howdy Gents! I will be flying from San Antonio to Raleigh, NC in 11 days and I am in need of a suitable container to lock my Glock 30 in for the flight. Are there any recommendations for places in the SA area where I can aquire this item? Thanks for the help.

Jim101
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Jim101 »

First off, welcome to the board, this is a great place with a bunch that likes to share information.....
This is what I bought for a trip from DFW to Fla. and also use it in the car........Nice product, good price....

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Jim
NRA, TSRA

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 24

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Jim101 wrote:First off, welcome to the board, this is a great place with a bunch that likes to share information.....
This is what I bought for a trip from DFW to Fla. and also use it in the car........Nice product, good price....

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Jim
150% agreement with this product...

Good luck with your trip!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

Excellent product. I purchased one at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Indy5000

Post by Indy5000 »

I also purchased the gun safe mentioned in this thread at Sportsman's Warehouse in San Antonio for just under $20.00.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

austin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by austin »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:The other day I bought an issue of "Combat Handguns" while on my break and took it back to the checkpoint with me
I never miss an opportunity to go buy an over priced "gun magazine" at the kiosk before flying anywhere...Its worth it...

Plus its fun to notice out of the corner of my eye and see any reaction in the flight of others who notice my reading practices...

A flight I was waiting on had repeated mechanical difficulty and there were numerous storms in the vicinity.

While waiting for boarding I dug in my bag and pulled out a really cool book.

After a few minutes, the lounge got quiet and I looked up. Everyone was looking at the cover.

MAYDAY: Accident Reports and Voice Transcripts from Airline Crash Investigations

austin

Post by austin »

jimlongley wrote:
Jim101 wrote:Got back from Fla. yesterday...At

Opening the suitecase at the ticket counter seems to disrupt everyone, including people that are wondering what is going on, why can't you just show TSA the form, pocket it, they X-ray it and that's all? Orlando did question the ammo in the same box as the gun (in an ammo wallet) but, let it go.........

Jim
The form used to get tied to the outside of the bag, this was years ago before TSA came into being, until they discovered that guns were going missing after they left the passengers' hands. Openly advertising that there is a gun in the bag would make ME uncomfortable.

Especially when its fully automatic M4s.

Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

American Airlines has on their website "Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted."

Anyone had experience with America? Will they accept ammo that's in an ammo box that isn't the original manufacturer? (I'm flying with them Monday)

Keith

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Zero_G wrote:American Airlines has on their website "Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted."

Anyone had experience with America? Will they accept ammo that's in an ammo box that isn't the original manufacturer? (I'm flying with them Monday)

Keith
American doesn't care, but when I flew a couple of weeks ago to Virginia, TSA inspected my "packing job" and all she said was "Sir, I'm placing your ammo in another part of your bag, so it's not right next to the gun."

I had no problem with that. The ammo was in the original packaging.

There's an old thread somewhere from a forum member here who used to work for TSA that mentioned you could use those plastic bullet holders that snap shut in lieu of the original packaging. The key is to make sure the bullets can't touch each other or rattle around in a box. They don't like that. I'll search for that thread.

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Here's that thread I was looking for. Read Jim Longley's comments.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... al+package

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

austin wrote:A flight I was waiting on had repeated mechanical difficulty and there were numerous storms in the vicinity.

While waiting for boarding I dug in my bag and pulled out a really cool book.

After a few minutes, the lounge got quiet and I looked up. Everyone was looking at the cover.

MAYDAY: Accident Reports and Voice Transcripts from Airline Crash Investigations
Thats priceless!!! I look at it this way...If yer gonna go, yer gonna go...Whatever you are reading is not going to change that...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

hi-power wrote:American doesn't care, but when I flew a couple of weeks ago to Virginia, TSA inspected my "packing job" and all she said was "Sir, I'm placing your ammo in another part of your bag, so it's not right next to the gun."
Yep, I've had to remember to separate my ammo from the unloaded and locked up pistol, because those little boogers kept wanting to jump into the magazines and into the gun all on their own, till I showed them! uh huh!

;-)

I know it wasn't you, but once again I have to really wonder about others sometimes...

This is why I am hated so much... ;-)
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

CHL/LEO

Post by CHL/LEO »

You can keep the ammo in the magazines as long as you keep the tops of the magazines covered (the mag well of the gun doesn't count :smile: ). I just stick them in my magazine holders and place them in the same locked container my gun is in.

I've found that most of the airline employees are clueless as to the rules but the TSA people are pretty well up to speed. I've even had airline employees tell me that since I'm a LEO that I didn't need to unload the weapon before I packed it, or that I didn't even need to check it - that I could just carry it on. :shock:
"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option."

Life Member - NRA/TSRA/GOA

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

ZeroG and others,

I hate loading rounds back into my magazines when I get to destination, so like CHL/LEO, I have flown with rounds in my magazines. They were inside of leather ammo carriers with foldover snap tops, and were in the same hardbox as my gun. One gal at Southwest (I think) was puzzled by this, but her supervisor confirmed to her it was OK. Otherwise no problem.

Have not flown American Airlines in a long time, but given what you pulled off of their website (and being sure that most gate agents would not know the difference between a magazine and clip, and the guy who wrote American's rules probably didn't either :grin: ), I would put my magazines in regular 50-round cardboard ammo box, pack some paper in it to keep them from rattling around, and tape it shut.

Happy flying.

elb

ForbidInjustice

Post by ForbidInjustice »

The ammunition packaging regulations are not specific to American Eagle/American Airlines, as they do not search your baggage. Ammunition also does not have to be declared.. only if it accompanies a firearm in checked baggae.

That said, ammunition may be in original packaging or in clips.. the general rule is: no loose ammo.
- Dre
- Fort Hood, Texas
- http://www.dhs.gov

Where two discourse, if the one's anger rise, the man who lets the contest fall is wise.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”