Condo complex posting 30.06 and 30.07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txblackout
Posts in topic: 2

Condo complex posting 30.06 and 30.07

Post by txblackout »

Im familiar with the chiarini case. What other case law is out there?

Condo association just posted 30.06 and 30.07. Im an owner so it seems like because Im an owner of the shared property I should be able to carry regardless of 30.07 & 30.06 being posted.

I know I can carry to/from my vehicle, but what about using the facilities? pool, bbq, going to beach etc.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Condo complex posting 30.06 and 30.07

Post by ScottDLS »

txblackout wrote:Im familiar with the chiarini case. What other case law is out there?

Condo association just posted 30.06 and 30.07. Im an owner so it seems like because Im an owner of the shared property I should be able to carry regardless of 30.07 & 30.06 being posted.

I know I can carry to/from my vehicle, but what about using the facilities? pool, bbq, going to beach etc.
My understanding is the 30.06/7 would only be applicable to visitors, guests, non-residents. Maybe that's why they posted, though it's kind of disappointing that they would.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by zero4o3 »

ScottDLS wrote:
txblackout wrote:Im familiar with the chiarini case. What other case law is out there?

My understanding is the 30.06/7 would only be applicable to visitors, guests, non-residents. Maybe that's why they posted, though it's kind of disappointing that they would.
as someone with apparent authority couldn't he give his guests permission :confused5

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

That's my understanding also (can't prohibit an owner). You OWN the property (co-own, in the case of common property).
However, like having an employer, that doesn't mean that your board couldn't punish you for breaking the "rules", which an entirely different basket.. And HOAs (inc Condo associations) have a pretty bad rap on flatly ignoring the constitution - largely because they have everyone's money and indemnification for those making the decisions.

If they call the police, I'd simply inform them that you're a co-owner of the property and hope that they leave it alone as a civil issue.

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

cb1000rider wrote:That's my understanding also (can't prohibit an owner). You OWN the property (co-own, in the case of common property).
However, like having an employer, that doesn't mean that your board couldn't punish you for breaking the "rules", which an entirely different basket.. And HOAs (inc Condo associations) have a pretty bad rap on flatly ignoring the constitution - largely because they have everyone's money and indemnification for those making the decisions.

If they call the police, I'd simply inform them that you're a co-owner of the property and hope that they leave it alone as a civil issue.
I was going to point that out also. it might not be illegal but they could have a rule against weapons in the common areas.

Topic author
txblackout
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txblackout »

zero4o3 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:That's my understanding also (can't prohibit an owner). You OWN the property (co-own, in the case of common property).

I was going to point that out also. it might not be illegal but they could have a rule against weapons in the common areas.
that is my question, is that enforceable? In the same way they cannot ban satellite dishes these days, can they ban owners from carrying?

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

txblackout wrote:
zero4o3 wrote:

that is my question, is that enforceable? In the same way they cannot ban satellite dishes these days, can they ban owners from carrying?
That I couldn't answer.
I suspect that even if legally they couldn't you would have to go to court to prove that. I hate HOAs which is why I ultimately moved.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall discussing something like this in another thread. It might have been condos and it might have been gated communities. I believe that Charles (I may be wrong so don't hold me to it) said that it really has to do with the actual sales contract for the condo and how the common areas are deeded. If the deed says they are owned by all in undivided interests, then the posting is probably invalid. If the deed says they are owned by the condo association/corporation/whatever with the right of use, then the postings are probably valid.

If it was a gated community and a homeowners association, I am not even sure this will apply, but it sounds kind of logical to me.
Steve Rothstein

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I believe it was determined that they can say no open carry in public areas, so you can open to and from your car only. But I don't know that they can legally post an 06 sign, with a condo....quite probably. Just be quiet and keep it concealed!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”