CHL ID number

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thisguy
Posts in topic: 1

CHL ID number

Post by thisguy »

Long time reader, first time poster, and I got a quick question. I've had my CHL going onto two years now, but when I applied for it I did not have my drivers licence due to it being suspend for me being stupid (another story), so I used my ID card number in the application instead. A week after submitting my papers and prints, I get my golden ticket in the mail. A bit after that I get my Drivers License back. Now here's my question; My CHL reflects my ID number but not my DL number, is this an issue if stopped for any reason or should I just carry both ID and DL and keep both up to date? AND if it is an issue do I need to redo the whole CHL processes to get my DL number put on the card?

Many thanks in advance.

ScottDLS

Re: CHL ID number

Post by ScottDLS »

thisguy wrote:Long time reader, first time poster, and I got a quick question. I've had my CHL going onto two years now, but when I applied for it I did not have my drivers licence due to it being suspend for me being stupid (another story), so I used my ID card number in the application instead. A week after submitting my papers and prints, I get my golden ticket in the mail. A bit after that I get my Drivers License back. Now here's my question; My CHL reflects my ID number but not my DL number, is this an issue if stopped for any reason or should I just carry both ID and DL and keep both up to date? AND if it is an issue do I need to redo the whole CHL processes to get my DL number put on the card?

Many thanks in advance.
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for this but I wanted to chime in with a follow up. Recently, Texas made it against the rules to get an ID card if you already have a DL. Previously, you could have both, so you could just keep the ID until you renewed your LTC I guess...Anyway hope somebody in the know posts.

-Scott
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

randy634

Post by randy634 »

Very good question. You may have to contact DPS. I believe once your ID expires, you will not be allowed to renew it if you have a valid DL. The new law went into effect, and DPS is still working on the rules. I would call or email the CHL office.

As far as being pulled over or stopped by the police, when we run one (DL or ID) we will see both.

Just my two cents.
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I'm going to be interested in seeing the actual effect of that law...

I keep both an ID and a DL because I occasionally have situations where I have to provide one for "holding" (checking out a building key or similar) and I'm armed....the simple solution was to get both, provide the ID to get my keys, and carry on in full compliance with the law (DL and CHL to present should I be challenged by LEO for some reason.)

Of course, the situation of needing to present ID in an official capacity while one of my cards is securing my temporary building access has never occurred....

But I've always liked the ability to provide non-official entities with a government issued ID without risking my DL number. I suppose those days are gone.

As for the original question, I'm neither LEO nor lawyer, but in my personal experience, providing either (ID or DL) along with CHL has been sufficient. I only provide my DL for something directly related to driving, everything else is my ID.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

When I had to get my DL# changed on my CHL I had to send in a xerox copy of it along with a CHL-70 change of address. Link to form

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”