H.E.B. and their reason for no open carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Re: H.E.B. and their reason for no open carry

Post by JALLEN »

chuckybrown wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:One mo' time: I wish we had a 30.07 posted HEB rather than an unposted Brookshire Bros. :txflag:
Um.......ok.....?? I don't understand.
I believe he finds the price, selection, value proposition at HEB superior to the other outfit, OC or no.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jago668 »

JALLEN wrote:
chuckybrown wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:One mo' time: I wish we had a 30.07 posted HEB rather than an unposted Brookshire Bros. :txflag:
I believe he finds the price, selection, value proposition at HEB superior to the other outfit, OC or no.
Brookshires is definitely more expensive.
NRA Benefactor Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

JALLEN wrote:
chuckybrown wrote:
WINNER! :clapping:
Give the man a cigar, Bill. No! Not that one, give him a new one please.

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Doh!!!
Chuckybrown

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

I don't understand all the angst over a this OC thing, almost every store I go insist on shoes and shirts. There are places that insist I don't wear jeans or wife beaters. Although we have a right to wear what ever we want while in our homes or on the streets. This right to bare arms does not extend to privately owned establishments. I look at the 30.07 as a dress code notification. Whats the big deal about covering it up?

I for one will go to the store owned run and financed by Texans. The Butts family have been pretty good to their neighbors. and HEB and Central Market has better goods than just about any store around here. Love their deli and prepared foods. If this means I have to put a shirt on zipper up or cover my my sidearm, then I will. No is telling me I have to disarm.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

gljjt
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gljjt »

dru wrote:I may continue to shop there. But when I do I will do the most _______________________ concealed carry possible. I will have the biggest possible handgun and I will just lazily drape my shirt over it. It will be completely obvious.

Or, I will go where a shirt with a gigantic "concealed handgun" printed on the front with an arrow pointing to it.
This is the gun owners example we don't need. OCT mindset at its finest. Please reconsider. Remember. They don't have to ask you to leave. They can just call the police. the police don't have to ask you to leave first. The police can just charge you with the violation, albeit a class C. Assuming your holster meets OC requirements.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

gljjt wrote:
dru wrote:I may continue to shop there. But when I do I will do the most half concealed carry possible. I will have the biggest possible handgun and I will just lazily drape my shirt over it. It will be completely obvious.

Or, I will go where a shirt with a gigantic "concealed handgun" printed on the front with an arrow pointing to it.
This is the gun owners example we don't need. OCT mindset at its finest. Please reconsider. Remember. They don't have to ask you to leave. They can just call the police. the police don't have to ask you to leave first. The police can just charge you with the violation, albeit a class C. Assuming your holster meets OC requirements.
gljjtt, er,....uhm,...did you leave out the word, "childish" on purpose?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:I look at the 30.07 as a dress code notification. Whats the big deal about covering it up? . . . No one is telling me I have to disarm.
Thanks, this is the best analogy I've seen! It's great to see you back Liberty.

Chas.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Oldgringo wrote:
gljjt wrote:
dru wrote:I may continue to shop there. But when I do I will do the most half-assed concealed carry possible. I will have the biggest possible handgun and I will just lazily drape my shirt over it. It will be completely obvious.

gljjtt, er,....uhm,...did you leave out the word, "childish" on purpose?
Actually I did! But I am afraid of crossing the line. I like to think we are all on the same side even if we have different views off how to achieve that goal. Some views are good, some, not so much.

dru

Post by dru »

gljjt wrote:
dru wrote:I may continue to shop there. But when I do I will do the most _______________________ concealed carry possible. I will have the biggest possible handgun and I will just lazily drape my shirt over it. It will be completely obvious.

If HEB is posting a 30.07, then the police can't do anything if the gun is concealed. Remember, printing through a shirt is not considered open carry, so no charges could be made. The gun would actually have to be carried openly or they would need a 30.06 sign (if they wanted to get me on a class C)

Edit: By doing it in this fashion, I comply with the letter of the law, I can easily switch back to OC when I leave the store, and I'm not even being one of the people who stroll through the store with an AR slung over their back.

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

:iagree:
Liberty wrote:I don't understand all the angst over a this OC thing, almost every store I go insist on shoes and shirts. There are places that insist I don't wear jeans or wife beaters. Although we have a right to wear what ever we want while in our homes or on the streets. This right to bare arms does not extend to privately owned establishments. I look at the 30.07 as a dress code notification. Whats the big deal about covering it up?

I for one will go to the store owned run and financed by Texans. The Butts family have been pretty good to their neighbors. and HEB and Central Market has better goods than just about any store around here. Love their deli and prepared foods. If this means I have to put a shirt on zipper up or cover my my sidearm, then I will. No is telling me I have to disarm.

:iagree:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

dru wrote:
gljjt wrote:

If HEB is posting a 30.07, then the police can't do anything if the gun is concealed. Remember, printing through a shirt is not considered open carry, so no charges could be made. The gun would actually have to be carried openly or they would need a 30.06 sign (if they wanted to get me on a class C)

Edit: By doing it in this fashion, I comply with the letter of the law, I can easily switch back to OC when I leave the store, and I'm not even being one of the people who stroll through the store with an AR slung over their back.

Your tactics are still misguided in my opinion. An OCT style protest. I hope you garner a lot of personal satisfaction in this because you aren't helping the cause, just feeding your desire for "I'll show you HEB". Seriously, what is your point? What do you realistically hope to accomplish? Do you really think HEB will say "sorry, our bad, you showed us" and change their policy? I understand the cover it in the store, uncover out, no problem there, it's the attitude -- biggest-baddest-loosely-draped-gun that puzzles me.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Liberty wrote:I don't understand all the angst over a this OC thing, almost every store I go insist on shoes and shirts. There are places that insist I don't wear jeans or wife beaters. Although we have a right to wear what ever we want while in our homes or on the streets. This right to bare arms does not extend to privately owned establishments. I look at the 30.07 as a dress code notification. Whats the big deal about covering it up?

Great analogy.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I use an IWB at work. After work, I will tuck my shirt behind my pistol. If I stop at HEB on the way home, I'll drape my shirt over the grip and walk in.

When I have not been to the office, such as today, I carry in my brand-new OWB holster. I bought this one because it fits my BTA90, covers the muzzle, and has a strap to keep the pistol in place as I traverse rough terrain while recovering my sport rockets.
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... d#p1035371

I bought gas at HEB this morning, carrying openly, as the gas pumps are not posted. When my wife and I go back, later today, we'll be shopping inside. I'll drape my shirt over the pistol's grip and not worry about how much of the holster is exposed.

This approach works best for me, meets the requirements of the law and my understanding of HEB's intent after discussing with some of the Elgin managers.

Y'all carry your way, I'll carry mine. My opinions have no more significance for you than yours have for me.

Happy New Year!
:txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

OlBill wrote:

Great analogy.
How about a 30.06 notification? Is that akin to a dress code notification for underwear?

Or to stick with the 1st/2nd and 30.07 analogy... How about a "no priest collar" or "no yarmulke" or "no hijab" sign? Do they deserve to invoke a criminal offense in an otherwise publicly open business? :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”