Texas police say they'll take new open carry law in stride

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas police say they'll take new open carry law in stride

Post by C-dub »

If there are still this many people around that are this ignorant of the laws pertaining to their profession I don't think this is going to end well for the first few that do OC into a bank with a security person like this. If the security person is armed, they just might shoot first, assuming they are about to be robbed, and ask questions later.

Ya'll be careful out there!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Right2Carry »

C-dub wrote:If there are still this many people around that are this ignorant of the laws pertaining to their profession I don't think this is going to end well for the first few that do OC into a bank with a security person like this. If the security person is armed, they just might shoot first, assuming they are about to be robbed, and ask questions later.

Really? You think they would shoot someone who has a holstered handgun? What law allows this to happen?
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

rc-mike
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rc-mike »

Right2Carry wrote: Really? You think they would shoot someone who has a holstered handgun? What law allows this to happen?
I'm sure it's the federal law, right after the one that doesn't allow guns in banks or places that sell alcohol. :headscratch

-Mike-

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Right2Carry wrote:
C-dub wrote:If there are still this many people around that are this ignorant of the laws pertaining to their profession I don't think this is going to end well for the first few that do OC into a bank with a security person like this. If the security person is armed, they just might shoot first, assuming they are about to be robbed, and ask questions later.

Really? You think they would shoot someone who has a holstered handgun? What law allows this to happen?
The examples given just in this thread underscore many people's misconceptions or misinterpretations of laws that do and don't exist. I haven't claimed that there is any law that would give them that right or protect them if they did shoot someone openly carrying into a bank. I'm saying that it would not surprise me if this happened based on the ignorance they have already expressed.

I'm also a little confused at your shock or dismay or disbelief that someone would shoot someone with a holstered handgun. The police have already done it and sometimes even gotten acquitted or even no billed. We've talked about some of those incidents on this forum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LikWid
Banned

Post by LikWid »

Right2Carry wrote:

No one said allowed, but we've had people shot for reaching for their wallet before...what makes you think someone won't freak out and shoot someone "reaching" (wallet might be on the same side as their EDC) in the direction of their weapon?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

LikWid wrote: No one said allowed, but we've had people shot for reaching for their wallet before...what makes you think someone won't freak out and shoot someone "reaching" (wallet might be on the same side as their EDC) in the direction of their weapon?

Certainly some personal risk is assumed when carrying concealed or unconcealed..

LikWid
Banned

Post by LikWid »

cb1000rider wrote:
LikWid wrote: No one said allowed, but we've had people shot for reaching for their wallet before...what makes you think someone won't freak out and shoot someone "reaching" (wallet might be on the same side as their EDC) in the direction of their weapon?
Certainly some personal risk is assumed when carrying concealed or unconcealed..
Agreed, but dealing with a jumpy/nervous/trigger happy officer/rent-a-cop, shouldn't be on of those risks. Understandable if a hand is on the weapon, but reaching in the direction of your weapon, no. IMO of course.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Agreed, but dealing with a jumpy/nervous/trigger happy officer/rent-a-cop, shouldn't be on of those risks. Understandable if a hand is on the weapon, but reaching in the direction of your weapon, no. IMO of course.[/quote]

My guess is that open carry will make a lot of LEOs nervous. They're trained to be nervous.. I mean attentive... And some get nervous around CHL, even after it's disclosed. Personally, I won't - even if asked to - reach for a weapon upon contact with a LEO. I'm respectful and indicate that I'll follow most other instructions, but I can't reach for it, even if ordered too... That's because I'm nervous about it... So it goes both ways.

If you're advocating for never open carrying, I get it.. It's definitely risk reduction at least from the perspective of being perceived as a threat.

If you're indicating that someone will inevitably be shot due to open carrying and being perceived as a threat, I'd agree that that's probably statistically inevitable. Hopefully it will all be much to-do about nothing and likely won't really be exercised that much - but that's just my guess.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”