Gun purchase using CHL only, without a license?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jaystekan
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gun purchase using CHL only, without a license?

Post by jaystekan »

Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to purchase a P239 yesterday using my CHL and my passport at a reputable dealer here in Texas.

I have spoken with 3 seperate CHL instructors that teach mostly military, I have spoken to a local police officer and I spoke with 2 State Troopers, all of which told me that military service members and their immediate families are exempt from the 30 day rule of obtaining a Texas license. When applying for my CHL I called DPS and explained my situation. I originally applied for a non-resident license, using my OK address. The DPS technicians themselves changed my address on my CHL from OK that I had put on my application, to TX, which is the address on my handgun license.

In the end, all is well, I have my handgun license, I was able to purchase a handgun here in Texas, and I am 100% legal in not obtaining my Texas license, as long as my wife is stationed here.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

jaystekan wrote:Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to purchase a P239 yesterday using my CHL and my passport at a reputable dealer here in Texas.

I have spoken with 3 seperate CHL instructors that teach mostly military, I have spoken to a local police officer and I spoke with 2 State Troopers, all of which told me that military service members and their immediate families are exempt from the 30 day rule of obtaining a Texas license. When applying for my CHL I called DPS and explained my situation. I originally applied for a non-resident license, using my OK address. The DPS technicians themselves changed my address on my CHL from OK that I had put on my application, to TX, which is the address on my handgun license.

In the end, all is well, I have my handgun license, I was able to purchase a handgun here in Texas, and I am 100% legal in not obtaining my Texas license, as long as my wife is stationed here.

OK, I missed the fact your spouse is active military. That means you are military family and you can keep the OK residency even after you have left the military due to her active status and assigned station in Texas,
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Keith B wrote:
jaystekan wrote:Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to purchase a P239 yesterday using my CHL and my passport at a reputable dealer here in Texas.

OK, I missed the fact your spouse is active military. That means you are military family and you can keep the OK residency even after you have left the military due to her active status and assigned station in Texas,
Also, you could have done it with your TXCHL, OKDL, Military Dependent ID, and a copy of your wife's orders that stationed her in Texas. It sounds more convoluted, but military personnel have all of that stuff readily available.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tk1700 »

The last 3 guns I've purchased (all in 2015) I had to show a TX DL to prove residency. All the CHL got me was not having to have the background check done on 2 of the purchases. One dealer, the base in FTW, called the background check in despite my CHL. The CHL also has my TX DL # on it. If you don't have a TX DL I'm curious if your OK DL number is on your CHL? That would be a flag to a dealer that you aren't a TX resident.

From your post that your family is stationed in TX while your wife finishes her career, I assume she is military and thats how you get to keep your OK residency? If thats the case, you should be able to claim TX residency to purchase a firearm. The dealer may want some additional documentation such as copy of ID card and orders. From the instructions on ATF 4473:

"Question 13. State of Residence: The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, his or her State of residence also is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located."

If she isn't military or attending a state college/university you have to register vehicles in TX and get TX DL.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/new-to-texas

Good luck and thanks for your service!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”