US Govt. data breach

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Austin83
Posts in topic: 4

US Govt. data breach

Post by Austin83 »

Has anyone here received a letter from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regarding the cyber theft of background investigation records? I received a letter today showing my information was included in the intrusion. I am not a government employee, and I've never applied for a government job so I'm confused as to why the OPM data breach included my information. I'm wondering if my information was included from my CHL background check or from a background check while purchasing a firearm. Anyone else get one of these letters yet?

twjones
Posts in topic: 1

Re: US Govt. data breach

Post by twjones »

Was this an actual snail mail letter or e-mail?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Austin83 wrote:Has anyone here received a letter from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regarding the cyber theft of background investigation records? I received a letter today showing my information was included in the intrusion. I am not a government employee, and I've never applied for a government job so I'm confused as to why the OPM data breach included my information. I'm wondering if my information was included from my CHL background check or from a background check while purchasing a firearm. Anyone else get one of these letters yet?
If you received a letter and PIN number, this may be real.
Please visit the OPM website for more information.

https://www.opm.gov/cybersecurity
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Austin83

Post by Austin83 »

Received a letter, I have no doubt that it is real. I just wonder why the OPM has my info

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Austin83 wrote:Has anyone here received a letter from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regarding the cyber theft of background investigation records? I received a letter today showing my information was included in the intrusion. I am not a government employee, and I've never applied for a government job so I'm confused as to why the OPM data breach included my information. I'm wondering if my information was included from my CHL background check or from a background check while purchasing a firearm. Anyone else get one of these letters yet?
Yes I have received this as they stole my SF-86 BI information for a security clearance and my fingerprints according to the letter that I received from OPM. (USPS snail mail is the only way they send them). They gave me a free identity monitoring service (some outfit out of California) for 3 years I think. I signed up and it seems pretty good, I got an alert when I applied for a credit card. It also has this arrest/booking monitor that checks to see if you have wants/warrants/convictions in NCIC. So far no hits on me :lol: .

According to OPM, what the Chinese got (that's who did it even though USGOV won't admit it) is the contents of your security investigation and in some cases a digital copy of your fingerprints. They wouldn't have gotten your CHL application as that's done by State of Texas not OPM, though they query some of the same databases (NCIC). I'm not aware that they got prints from AFIS, although I hear now your CHL application prints, and NFA application prints are kept on file in AFIS, where they only used to keep them for people arrested and printed.

Thing is, you can get a security clearance without being eligible to purchase a firearm (convicted felon, misdemeanor DV,...) though I assume it's rare. So while the ChiComms got whatever was on your SF-85/86, the other databases weren't hacked, so presumably they wouldn't get your CHL info.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

Do you know someone who had a background check? Your information may have been part of the background investigation of someone you know or are related to. My son recently had a BI for a position with CBP and they interviewed friends, family, and professors. I don't know how much information is contained in the record for those who aren't the actual applicant, but they have name, address, phone, and probably place of employment at a minimum.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Austin83

Post by Austin83 »

Maybe a family member of mine filled out a form that had my information. I'll call the OPM next week to see if I can get an answer out of them.
Last edited by Austin83 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My wife got one too. Mine could be in the proces...
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Terlingueno

Post by Terlingueno »

Yep, I have received three notifications. The last was this past week on my SF86. All my .gov info was breached. Had a false tax return filed with my info back in March. I am pretty irritated, and when I ask my agency what they plan to do, the look at me funny and say, "oh, .gov is giving you free credit monitoring for three years". Gee thanks. It will be interesting on the next BI I have to do, since I have some very pointed questions for the investigator.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Yes I received one, as did my younger son. If it was via snail mail and had an ID number... you can verify it is real on line.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I also received the OPM letter. I've had numerous BG checks and security clearances. If you ever were submitted for a security clearance, your history was probably stolen.

My life is an open book to the government, so I'm not particularly concerned, but I will no longer travel to China (was part of my job), because they now know too much about me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

circumspice_tuebor

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

My wife and I both received them in the last month, as did at least one coworker. I't's difficult to find words to describe how I feel about a Federal agency tasked with vetting those given access to sensitive government information allowing my PII (and more) to be accessed and made available in the 'wild'.

And it took them 18 MONTHS to notify those affected.

Perhaps this: :banghead: :mad5 :headscratch
Micah 6:8

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

Terlingueno wrote:Yep, I have received three notifications. The last was this past week on my SF86. All my .gov info was breached. Had a false tax return filed with my info back in March. I am pretty irritated, and when I ask my agency what they plan to do, the look at me funny and say, "oh, .gov is giving you free credit monitoring for three years". Gee thanks. It will be interesting on the next BI I have to do, since I have some very pointed questions for the investigator.
I hope you guys are aware that OPM, at least as of earlier in the year, was 18 months behind in BIs. The reason: two of the contractors hired to do BIs were phoning them in. IOW, they weren't doing them, they were just saying they did them and collecting their money. They were fired and all the BIs they did had to be redone. There are lots of people working for the TSA right now that have not had a real BI. I suspect this is true at some other agencies as well.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Austin83

Post by Austin83 »

I contacted the OPM, and I finally received an answer as to why the OPM has my information. Many years ago I did some work at a VA hospital. Apparently the paperwork I filled out was kept at the OPM. So the hack doesn't just affect federal employees or those who have applied for a job with the federal government. I will be taking advantage of the ID theft protection
Last edited by Austin83 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”